Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings [DISCUSSION & COMMENTS]  (Read 20809 times)

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40.13]Glovedloved - The Mountain of Kings - A twisted Dwarven society
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2014, 06:07:05 pm »

Oh, had another question.  Which exploits are verboten for this challenge?

Water reactors?
Quantum Stockpiles?
Impulse Ramps?
Gainful Metal Crafting?
Danger Rooms?
Coinstar Rooms?
Shaft of Enlightenment?
*blinks* Well... I have heard of Quantum Stockpiles (though I never managed to get one to work...)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2014, 06:08:47 pm »

QSPs are something I usually use a lot of.  They provide a not-trivial FPS improvement over not having them.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2014, 07:28:31 pm »

my two cents is water reactors are fine (since power isn't hard to get anyway) but I'm against danger rooms, gainful metal crafting and shaft of enlightenment (on the fence about the others)
much more fine to train against a live (chained up) target
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2014, 07:38:40 pm »

my two cents is water reactors are fine (since power isn't hard to get anyway) but I'm against danger rooms, gainful metal crafting and shaft of enlightenment (on the fence about the others)
much more fine to train against a live (chained up) target

I'd go along with that. Honestly, it's so easy to train good soldiers that I've never actually built any of the danger room variants.  Mostly I asked the question because I'm considering building a DWR, but want to know if it's kosher for this game.

Figured I'd ask about all the big ones while I was at it, though.

Impulse ramps are in kinda the same category as DWRs, so they should probably be allowed if we allow DWRs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:40:11 pm by Tacomagic »

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2014, 09:07:06 pm »

Impulse ramps are in kinda the same category as DWRs, so they should probably be allowed if we allow DWRs.
given that all it saves you is power I suppose it's no different..
in any case nordinkel has the final say
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2014, 09:21:42 pm »

I'd never heard the term "coinstar room" before, but after looking it up, I seem to often use a variation of that myself, by having dwarves training 1 z-level below a the target end of a wall designated as an archery range.  I figured that they would be the most likely to pick the bolts up and return them to the other end once they were done with whatever melee craft they were learning, but now I get why they always seemed to learn "dodge" and "armor" so much faster than their weapon skills: a constant hail of spent bolts!
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2014, 09:36:22 pm »

My two cents; the hammerer should be both very strong and armed with a capable hammer. Peasants should not be spared!
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2014, 09:40:58 pm »

Could anyone go over those mentioned cheats and give a short description of each? A quick Google search was not overly informative for me...

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2014, 09:41:42 pm »

My two cents; the hammerer should be both very strong and armed with a capable hammer. Peasants should not be spared!
We must have the hammerer as the only one that comes in and out of the mountain constantly.

Also, steel maces and hammers for the fortress guard, aswell!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2014, 10:33:50 pm »

Could anyone go over those mentioned cheats and give a short description of each? A quick Google search was not overly informative for me...

Water reactors:
Water wheels produce 100 power so long as water is flowing.  You can make water flow with a pump.  Pumps cost 10 power to run.  So, you run a pump at a water wheel and walk away with a net gain of 90 power.

Quantum Stockpiles:
Two ways to do this, but they both essentially end with the same outcome: An (seemingly) infinite number of items all on one tile.

Impulse Ramps:
If you send a cart across a ramp that's pointed in the direction a minecart is going, the minecart will pick up speed as if it went down the ramp, even when traveling on the same level.  This can be used to accelerate minecarts without using powered rollers.

Gainful Metal Crafting:
There are several items that, when melted, return more metal than was used to craft them, most notably leggings, coins, and bolts when melted individually.

Danger Rooms:
Built a room with spike traps made with wooden training spears put on a repeater.  Dump mooks in some armor and toss them into that room.  The spears have very little chance to actually hurt any of them, but they'll gain armor skill form deflecting all the harmless spears.

Coinstar Rooms:
Put small stacks of coins (or other items) on a retracting bridge in a small room.  When you retract the bridge, it'll bounce the coins around the room.  If there's a dwarf in the room wearing armor, they'll gain a little armor XP every time one of those little projectiles hit them.  Use small enough projectiles and they'll be entirely harmless.

Shaft of Enlightenment:
If you drop a dwarf onto an upright spear trap, they'll parry it and gain weapon xp.  Because the thing they're parrying is so powerful (the planet) they get stupid-high amounts of XP.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2014, 10:40:56 pm »

<Highly helpful post.>

Thank you!
Seems I was trying to do the water thing without knowing it (in trying to make my indoor waterfalls to produce mist). Since I don't use carts, or craft much with metal (or know how to probably build a military), it now makes sense for me not to have heard of the others.

They...parry the planet!?  :o

The only one I might have part done was the stockpile, but that was just a garbage dump. I haven't even figured out how to get Dwarves to drop items into holes...

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2014, 11:09:55 pm »

<Highly helpful post.>

Thank you!
Seems I was trying to do the water thing without knowing it (in trying to make my indoor waterfalls to produce mist). Since I don't use carts, or craft much with metal (or know how to probably build a military), it now makes sense for me not to have heard of the others.

They...parry the planet!?  :o

The only one I might have part done was the stockpile, but that was just a garbage dump. I haven't even figured out how to get Dwarves to drop items into holes...

The garbage dump is the first and easiest QSP.  The more advanced one is the minecart QSP.  It's actually really easy to pull off once you figure it out and is automated by hauling labors.  You can find it on the exploits page on the wiki.

It's outside the scope of this forum thread to give you too many pointers and examples, but I'll give you a hint on the hole thing:  Retracting bridge or minecart.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:11:42 pm by Tacomagic »

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2014, 11:45:25 pm »

Yeah, sorry. Didn't want to derail the conversation.  :-[

My hammock calls, in any event, so I'll be checking for updates first thing after I wake.  :D

Njneko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2014, 11:54:58 pm »

tonnot and Njneko got wavy hair, all the others are bald. no exception.
Now I feel special :D

Nordinkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2014, 04:13:27 am »

sorry this takes so long. i will be done in the next few hours, then i need to conduct a visit to a friend next door to upload the save.
i really try hard to write a good journal.

Yes, journals would be super amazing, given that this is not really a proper "challenge" but more of a scenario, a setup for roleplaying.

on the topic of exploits:

i'm not very concerned about those ones. In fact i'd say that those are actually part of superior dwarven engineering, and thus restricted to the nobility.

If Doc Timeless gets his dojo in the slums though, let him have his coinstar or danger room. It's all about the roleplay after all.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17