Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: East Kajikstan Design Bureau, 1925  (Read 11502 times)

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: East Kajikstan Design Bureau, 1922
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2014, 09:42:52 pm »

I care more about strategy than such stupid wonder weapons.  How are we going to win this war?  Through superior fire power?  Through superior training?  Through superior tactics?  We going to cut them off, go through them, or hold them back?  Do we want a genocide of mass proportions, or do we want a series of little wars?  Ultimately it'll come to one big, climactic war, but gotta keep ourselves focused on the big picture. 

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2014, 09:52:56 pm »

What war?

Anyways, I think the plan should be a mixture of guerrilla warfare and slow retreat, hurting as we go.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2014, 10:03:27 pm »

I was only speculating, I didn't write any proposals, and I wasn't pushing for a flying aircraft carrier. I even acknowledged that I think the idea is absurd and unrealistic.. Alamoes confirmed for no fun. :v

Anyways, I think the plan should be a mixture of guerrilla warfare and slow retreat, hurting as we go.
You're a big fan of the guerrilla thing huh? Maybe we need a marksman's rifle!

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2014, 10:09:16 pm »

What war?

I assumed there would be a war at the end of this, but ok.  Then why are we talking about giant airships?  Also I disagree.  I'd rather not give up any land if possible, but certainly not any production.  If We're going to give up land, we'll need to employ scorched earth tactics, unless said land is already useless.  But yeah for this to work, we'll need to be faster than the enemy.  We can also hold him off by using delays.  The counter attack will be our friend.  Something that would be excellent for this purpose of ambush warfare would be the close range SMG.  Something not so useful would be big heavy artillery. 

I don't like this because it is a war of attrition.  Has the same limitations of the Vietnam and Korean war.  I know you were speculating, I'm simply changing the subject.   

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2014, 01:36:30 am »

You can't have the runway on top. The design would be top heavy

and you can't vent hydrogen with the planes engines running.
What if you had vessels on either side and the runway carried between them?
That is going to be hell for planes to land on. Much turbulence, steel girders above (to keep the airships from smashing into each other) Airships to the left and right, and a small runway in the middle. Also, runways are heavy.

I'm entirely not sure how airships work, what do you mean?
In order for an airship to go down (which it might need to do for various reasons) it has to vent it's lifting gas, most likely hydrogen gas. It's not a good thing to have a running engine or any other sort of fire near the area where said gas is vented.

Also, airships leak gas constantly on their own, so that might also be a problem.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2014, 02:02:26 am »

That is going to be hell for planes to land on. Much turbulence, steel girders above (to keep the airships from smashing into each other) Airships to the left and right, and a small runway in the middle.

Also, runways are heavy.
If the runway functions as that upper girder, you don't have to worry about smashing directly into the vessels on the left and right, but one aircraft messing up and sliding off the side into the balloon would crash the entire thing.

Airships are pretty efficient at lifting weight. The frames are generally built with steel which is pretty heavy. A runway has a lot more surface area than girders with holes in them but would likely be built from wood or some similar material.

In order for an airship to go down (which it might need to do for various reasons) it has to vent it's lifting gas, most likely hydrogen gas. It's not a good thing to have a running engine or any other sort of fire near the area where said gas is vented.

Also, airships leak gas constantly on their own, so that might also be a problem.
I don't think a running engine would be much of a danger if it's located inside an airframe. Accidental fires because of the oils and fuels needed for the parasite aircraft would probably be a bigger risk than an engine somehow touching off the mothership's vented lifting gasses.

Insignificant amounts if we're talking about a fire.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 02:08:17 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2014, 02:54:36 am »

That is going to be hell for planes to land on. Much turbulence, steel girders above (to keep the airships from smashing into each other) Airships to the left and right, and a small runway in the middle.

Also, runways are heavy.
If the runway functions as that upper girder, you don't have to worry about smashing directly into the vessels on the left and right, but one aircraft messing up and sliding off the side into the balloon would crash the entire thing.

Airships are pretty efficient at lifting weight. The frames are generally built with steel which is pretty heavy. A runway has a lot more surface area than girders with holes in them but would likely be built from wood or some similar material.

I don't think a running engine would be much of a danger if it's located inside an airframe. Accidental fires because of the oils and fuels needed for the parasite aircraft would probably be a bigger risk than an engine somehow touching off the mothership's vented lifting gasses.

Insignificant amounts if we're talking about a fire.
If you want a girder on top as the runway you will need something heavier on the bottom or the airship will flip itself in the air.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2014, 04:50:26 am »

I wish I had a printer so I could scan some drawings for you guys.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2014, 03:21:12 pm »

Hmm, it would really be nice to get some proposals and/or votes right about now *hint hint*
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2014, 03:24:39 pm »

Right, Im gonna say that the proposals are in, vote time.

The following are from last year, this is the last year they will be automatically here.

Spoiler: Proposal One (click to show/hide)
Some naughty person dident tell me this was done.

Spoiler: Proposal Three (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Proposal Four (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Proposal Five (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Proposal Alpha (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Proposal Beta (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Proposal Gamma (click to show/hide)
This years Proposals.
Spoiler: Proposal Six (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Proposal Delta (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Votes (click to show/hide)

As a added note, the AT gun we just made could be used in airships and others.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:49:41 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2014, 03:37:16 pm »

There's something off with your numbering. Number 2 was one of the designs completed last year(the model 1921 High performance Engine)
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2014, 03:47:39 pm »

Really?

Right, who saw that two days ago and dident say anything?
Highly Opinionated Fool

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2014, 03:49:18 pm »

Well, I'll say I just scanned them and didn't pay attention :P

Also, don't forget there are two traits for the truck to choose!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:04:44 pm by tryrar »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2014, 05:00:45 pm »

Ok For the truck lets have Cheap, Reliable.

We need to defend our coast, so here's the Battleship class of 1923
See destroyer class of 1923
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:24:06 pm by Funk »
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2014, 05:53:43 pm »

I will remind you our current shipyard can only handle ships up to 5000t displacement, about 1/3 of the proposed battleship. Might wanna adjust to something like a destroyer :P
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16