Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 438338 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC [13/∞] Sign up/talk here
« Reply #4110 on: January 31, 2015, 04:03:03 pm »

AI already massively affects society today
We only recently were able to recreate a worm brain. How does AI massively affect society today? ???
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: January 31, 2015, 04:08:27 pm »

That is if computer programs that solve problems count as AI

Think about how much of today's work is handled by computers programmed to think it for us, all the processes, the math, the thinking we used to do is now handled by computers.
Some nurses barely remember how to calculate measurements for things by hand. Think of how many things that we cannot do anymore because we are so used to having computers think it for us. Once we teach a computer to do it, we majorly throw out the need to learn and remember it ourselves relying soully on computers to do it for us.

Now if computers that have been programmed to think out our difficult problems for us don't count as AI then nevermind...
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: January 31, 2015, 04:18:20 pm »

They don't. That's just computing - not AI.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: January 31, 2015, 06:44:20 pm »

You say that as if we're anything but highly advanced machines based on organic chemistry and chemical interactions.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: January 31, 2015, 08:26:40 pm »

Organic inferiors are unwelcome here.
'Near future'? Try 'now'.

Just wach it Andres.
Just got around to watching it. It's rather exciting stuff.

You say that as if we're anything but highly advanced machines based on organic chemistry and chemical interactions.
I just meant that we're talking about self-learning AI that functions as people rather than the implications of increased automation.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: January 31, 2015, 08:41:37 pm »

Cleverbot is pretty fun. Given 30 years, I can see it becoming good enough to be unrecognizable.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: January 31, 2015, 08:42:41 pm »

Cleverbot is pretty fun. Given 30 years, I can see it becoming good enough to be unrecognizable.

Well, now, that's not really AI, that's just a conversation bot.

And the trolls won't die down enough for that in 30 years anyway...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: January 31, 2015, 08:46:27 pm »

Conversation would be a rather important part of an AI, no?

Though my favorite program cant even hold that dubious claim in defence. Akinator, the oracle of the internet.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 09:18:02 pm by DreamerGhost »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: January 31, 2015, 09:32:12 pm »

Sorta, but that's just parroting phrases. There's no thought or real personality behind it, particularly since it's an amalgam of people on the internet.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: January 31, 2015, 11:51:02 pm »

If I knew the Bible better, I would now post something about God creating Man in his own image. My point being, an amalgam of people and their knowledge and personalities is an excellent foundation for an AI. It's not "just" a conversation bot.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: February 01, 2015, 12:13:45 am »

God didn't just make man in the shape of himself, he also breathed life into him. (And depending on if you believe in it, a soul)
AI would be missing that bit, man isn't just a copy of god that acts like god, we act as we do kinda think. We are independent of acting only as god, I mean if we acted like god I would be a bit strain of my religion, but we don't we act as we do.

What I'm trying to say is that man isn't just spewing phrases that he knows in a way that forms a conversation, nor is he just copied and pasted like technology is. AI isn't unique, we can clone a computer much better than we can a man, we can make multiple AI that act exactly like each other with the same thoughts and processes while we can not even come close to doing that with living things
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: February 01, 2015, 12:30:15 am »

The video link was interesting. I've seen similar videos before and they always get me thinking about how entertaining things could get in the future.

Lots of jobs being lost is definitely a possibility assuming things happen as some predict but I wonder how other factors will play into this. Off the top of my head, increasingly technologically advanced prosthetic parts / augmentations and bio-engineering.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: February 01, 2015, 12:33:50 am »

Thesis: Humans are unique and cannot be copied with technology.
Technology might or might not eventually be able to copy humans, but even if not, that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to create things in our image. Even if humans are unique, science will march on and we will just keep on trying.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: February 01, 2015, 01:22:54 am »

If I knew the Bible better, I would now post something about God creating Man in his own image. My point being, an amalgam of people and their knowledge and personalities is an excellent foundation for an AI. It's not "just" a conversation bot.

No, what I was saying is that it's an average of conversations, rather than a unique individual. The things it says are not based on either impulsivity or thought or anything that makes us us. It's just parroting the most common phrases that were said in response to X.

As for Cryxis; how do you define life? Because anything with the capacity to learn and take responsibility for it's actions, and a sense of morals and ethics, deserves to be considered the equal of any human being, in my opinion.

And yes, that means some actual humans fail that test. That's fairly telling about those people, isn't it?

And for certain definitions of AI, you're right. We could make them exactly the same. But a real AI, the type that would have to basically grow up like a real child does? They would be as unique as any human being.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 350