Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 424180 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC [12/∞] Sign up/talk here
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2014, 01:26:20 am »

If they're blind, do they use sonar? Because if they use sound to navigate, bardic/song magic seems a natural choice.

(I'm assuming generic magic is the manipulation of raw magical energy without the assistance of the gods. Much harder and more physically straining then any other type, but not bound by the limitations inherent in the easier brands of magic. Does that sound good to everyone?)

(And then priestly magic is just praying to the gods in exchange for the gods lending said priest some power, so it's basically anything we can do that we can be convinced to actually give to a mortal?)

Actually, what would it cost to give them specific attunement to celestial magic that has something to do with greed wealth ect.?
The easiest way to do that would probably be to link them to only one constellation. That would make them need to be only on one world though, because each world has its own set. Either that or you have to make two variants of the race, one for each world, and each bound to a different constellation.

We also lack a constellation for greed in specific if you want one for that, but we have an uneven number right now, because the god of the oceans suggested a ship constellation without making another one for the other world, so if you wanted to suggest, say, The Dragon, that would be an easy addition.

Edit : The list of Constellations is on this post, if you want to look at them.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2014, 01:32:15 am »

Uh...the ship was me. Since I figure trade in general is a good thing for me. I like the idea of a dragon constellation though...

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2014, 01:33:43 am »

Ooops. Sorry, I messed up. For some reason I got you and him confused when I made that post.

...At least I got the right person on the Constellation list!
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2014, 01:38:07 am »

$$$
So, what if half of them got attunement to the ship, and half of them got attunement to some other constellation?(The dragon?)

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2014, 01:42:12 am »

Actually, what would it cost to give them specific attunement to celestial magic that has something to do with greed wealth ect.?
The main point of celestial magic is using stars, so it would cost exactly what it does to give them celestial magic in general. Racial propensities are probably going to be based on RPing on the part of the patron deity, personal choices, and possibly council meddling.

Unlimited water breathing with drowning outside water: No change.
Limited water breathing with a requirement for air: No chang.

Unmagical: High 2-3.
Generic magic-attuned either way: High(er) 2-3.
Celestial magic-attuned either way: Low 3 (although it would make little sense for a blind species to have star-based magic)

Any other ideas for magic attunements?
Well, we could do the standard elemental magics, where elementally charged items provide extra power.
And mental magic? The more you train, the more powerful your magic?
Ritual magic, where preforming a ritual/certain events provide magical powers. For example, being born on a certain day, or with rituals.
An expanded attunement table is on the way.
If they're blind, do they use sonar? Because if they use sound to navigate, bardic/song magic seems a natural choice.

(I'm assuming generic magic is the manipulation of raw magical energy without the assistance of the gods. Much harder and more physically straining then any other type, but not bound by the limitations inherent in the easier brands of magic. Does that sound good to everyone?)

(And then priestly magic is just praying to the gods in exchange for the gods lending said priest some power, so it's basically anything we can do that we can be convinced to actually give to a mortal?)

The easiest way to do that would probably be to link them to only one constellation. That would make them need to be only on one world though, because each world has its own set. Either that or you have to make two variants of the race, one for each world, and each bound to a different constellation.

We also lack a constellation for greed in specific if you want one for that, but we have an uneven number right now, because the god of the oceans suggested a ship constellation without making another one for the other world, so if you wanted to suggest, say, The Dragon, that would be an easy addition.

Edit : The list of Constellations is on this post, if you want to look at them.
Generic magic, in my headcanon (which does not necessarily constrain anything) works much like you describe. Depending on social factors, it could be more widespread with weaker master mages or more rare with powerful master mages or somewhere in between. In either case, specialization is not widespread. Also, with your permission, the constellations lists will go on the second post in the IC thread.

$$$Response: Either way, it would be the same. I do not intervene in this matter unless you decide to do something like make them all into unstoppable sea juggernauts blessed with greed and trade, destroying all the above-surface development.

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2014, 01:50:19 am »

Also, with your permission, the constellations lists will go on the second post in the IC thread.
Go ahead, though I'm going to keep my list up to date as the discussion goes on too.

Also, I'd like to add the Fracta Thronis, a star that only shines in the night sky when a nation dies to both worlds. That falls under 'close enough to a constellation', right?
So, what if half of them got attunement to the ship, and half of them got attunement to some other constellation?(The dragon?)
You wanna make The Dragon so I can pair it off with the ship and they'll both actually be assigned a world instead of hovering in limbo? We already have Fire down under The Phoenix, but Greed would fit a dragon pretty good, so you'd only need to choose two other concepts to link it to...
Forenia Forever!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2014, 01:52:20 am »

Well uh...I gave you one secondary concept anyway.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2014, 02:04:44 am »

And I thusly suggest switching out Fire with Disaster. After all, when a dragon drops by, you're likely to find a disaster has just happened to you...

Hum. I just realized that no one is considering making any dragons yet.

$$$$
How much would 300 Night Dragons on each world cost me?

They'd be about as big as a school bus, have wings to fly with, as well as perfect dark vision, be somewhat sun blind, kind of fragile for a dragon, but attuned to Astrological Magic and able to spit burning bolts of starfire as a breath weapon. Lifespan is about 800-1,000 years, but they have a long growing period and need to wait 10 years in an egg before hatching.
Forenia Forever!

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2014, 02:10:04 am »

My creatures are certainly dragon inspired. Just more human-like.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2014, 02:15:13 am »

Added The Dragon and The Ship to the Constellation Lists.
Forenia Forever!

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2014, 02:34:20 am »

So, how many lizard people could I get with 1 energy? Assuming they live for a normal lifespan, and are blind ocean dwellers with echolocation and music based magic?

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2014, 02:41:29 am »

I actually find it kind of funny we both thought of creating lizard-folk at the same time.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2014, 02:47:09 am »

I actually find it kind of funny we both thought of creating lizard-folk at the same time.
I was kind of planning it for a while... Since I got in actually.

$$$
How much would a great leviathan like an island-turtle or a kraken cost?

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2014, 03:08:18 am »

Re Fracta Thronis: No problem here (although if you're aiming for Latin, the Solium Fractum might work better, but I have only one (college) year in it). Actually, I wouldn't even mind having any of you going so far as sending precognitive visions to random mortals without checking, although that sort of thing done too much will lead to a decline in sanity on the part of the mortals (except for closely mind-related gods).

Estimating attunement costs (descriptions are tentative and mutable by council):
System: Low 1-2 < High 1-2 < Low 2-3 < High 2-3
Basic regular humanoid: High 2-3

Universal: +1 step (manipulating raw magic, difficult to master but can theoretically perform any other thing)
Celestial: +1 step (divining and connecting with the gods and channeling negligible amounts of Essence (like ~0.001/tick) to predict stuff or do miracles)
Musical: +1 step (song magic or even poetic magic)
Psymental: +2 step (manipulating others' minds)
Ritual: +2 step (performing rituals to get more powerful things to notice and help)
Elemental: +3 step (creating heat and cold and stuff)
Dimensional: +3 Essence (creating portals or sending items)
Cosmic: +5 Essence +1 step (stuff gods do on a smaller scale because their puny mortal souls would burn out)

Remember that lack of any attunement does not mean your race contains no mages. It just means randomly selected individuals are less likely to be able to work magic.

$$$$Response
And I thusly suggest switching out Fire with Disaster. After all, when a dragon drops by, you're likely to find a disaster has just happened to you...

Hum. I just realized that no one is considering making any dragons yet.

$$$$
How much would 300 Night Dragons on each world cost me?

They'd be about as big as a school bus, have wings to fly with, as well as perfect dark vision, be somewhat sun blind, kind of fragile for a dragon, but attuned to Astrological Magic and able to spit burning bolts of starfire as a breath weapon. Lifespan is about 800-1,000 years, but they have a long growing period and need to wait 10 years in an egg before hatching.
300 (Aligned) celestially attuned dragons: High 4-5

I get the feeling that everyone will want a dragon soon, so here they are:
Aligned basic dragons: High 3-4
Unaligned basic dragons: High 4-5

So, how many lizard people could I get with 1 energy? Assuming they live for a normal lifespan, and are blind ocean dwellers with echolocation and music based magic?
None. The creation of a mortal race is itself a major act that requires at least around 2 (In this case, High 2-3). Of course, once they exist, propagating them will be cheaper.

I was kind of planning it for a while... Since I got in actually.

$$$
How much would a great leviathan like an island-turtle or a kraken cost?
300 Island turtle (aligned): High 4-5
300 Island turtle (unaligned): High 5-6
30 (30) Sapient kraken (aligned): High 9-10 (This will probably require a council vote)

And now, I will rest in preparation for the miniupdate. You can still continue sending requests; this is why they include $$.$

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2014, 03:29:28 am »

:Eyes List: Celestial sounds more like Clerical to me. Astrological magic is supposed to be about channeling the power of the Constellations, not directly praying to the gods for miracles... The divining note does fit both schools though.
Forenia Forever!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 350