Poll

This game is dead!

Hahahahahaha!
- 7 (41.2%)
Nooooooooooo!
- 10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 350

Author Topic: Ye Gods 1 OOC [21/∞] Talk here  (Read 435899 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ye Gods OOC [13/∞] Sign up/talk here
« Reply #405 on: October 22, 2014, 08:03:23 am »

Sure, that makes sense. But claiming a rule that says 'acts directly against a deity' takes into effect on actions that target something or someone else completely is going to get you laughed out of any court.

I agree that mass killing mortals should be highly frowned on and probably would result in a war, just like it's doing right now, but, you know, claiming a rule includes things not actually written down in said rule isn't kosher.

Edit : Anyway it is 6 AM in the morning what am I doing night night for now.

EditEdit : Also to clarify one of my big complaints towards the 'no touching someone elses stuff' rule is the part where under that rule they could do something like kill my high priest and I wouldn't be able to smite them for it, rule taken directly literally. I could accept a 'no touching other people's stuff unless said stuff starts interacting with you/stabbing your stuff' type rule more happily and with less chance of using a private action to rot away his house in the middle of the night causing the roof to fall down and crush him because screw letting other people burn down my temples or whatever.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:10:52 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 22, 2014, 10:23:41 am »

Sure, that makes sense. But claiming a rule that says 'acts directly against a deity' takes into effect on actions that target something or someone else completely is going to get you laughed out of any court.
Ah, but someone committing crimes against my belongings is committing crimes against me. Let's compare this to real life laws.
If someone steals my spark plugs because theirs were broken, it's petty theft.
If someone steals my spark plugs specifically to prevent me from starting my car and I can prove that was his motive, it's no longer petty theft but personal sabotage and I am in position to sue.
If someone trains their dog to steal my spark plugs, the dog won't be punished, (at least at the same level as) the owner will be.
If someone's dog spontaneously steals my spark plugs and brings them to him, he should immediately give them back and scold his dog, or he will be punished.

Edit: Better comparison: If a child shoplifts, their parents have to pay the fines as their legal guardians. They would have been expected to teach the child why you shouldn't steal.

claiming a rule includes things not actually written down in said rule isn't kosher.
Yes, it is. In the rapidly changing world, people try to apply the implications and intents of old laws before making new ones, all the time, and sometimes successfully.

Also to clarify one of my big complaints towards the 'no touching someone elses stuff' rule is the part where under that rule they could do something like kill my high priest and I wouldn't be able to smite them for it, rule taken directly literally. I could accept a 'no touching other people's stuff unless said stuff starts interacting with you/stabbing your stuff' type rule more happily and with less chance of using a private action to rot away his house in the middle of the night causing the roof to fall down and crush him because screw letting other people burn down my temples or whatever.
With these rules active, you could do some detective work if necessary and then complain to the Council about the other character, should you find out who it was. While the rules wouldn't allow you to retaliate by yourself, they would allow you to bring complete ruin to them if you could get others to your side. And if you couldn't, you probably had deserved it anyway. We could compare this to vigilantism versus the police in real life.

However, I can see I'm failing to persuade you, and you see my ideas beyond saving. I'd be grateful if you (,or anyone, for that matter,) typed up a better version with less loopy Legalese. I know a first draft is almost never the best, and the rules should actually be decided on together. So really; help me, please, to make things better. And let's not get too salty over this, neither of us is Truean.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:41:20 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 22, 2014, 11:08:29 am »

How does it even make sense for a god of Randomness to be at all good at gambling? Forcing a die to fall on a certain number isn't very random, is it?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 22, 2014, 11:16:53 am »

Ah, but someone committing crimes against my belongings is committing crimes against me. Let's compare this to real life laws.
If someone steals my spark plugs because theirs were broken, it's petty theft.
If someone steals my spark plugs specifically to prevent me from starting my car and I can prove that was his motive, it's no longer petty theft but personal sabotage and I am in position to sue.
If someone trains their dog to steal my spark plugs, the dog won't be punished, (at least at the same level as) the owner will be.
If someone's dog spontaneously steals my spark plugs and brings them to him, he should immediately give them back and scold his dog, or he will be punished.

Edit: Better comparison: If a child shoplifts, their parents have to pay the fines as their legal guardians. They would have been expected to teach the child why you shouldn't steal.

But if someone's 20 year old son steals your spark plugs for himself, he is punished. Not his parent. They are fully rational adults with free will, not dogs, as you seem to think they are. It makes no since to punish a Father for sins of the child, I don't think anyone ever did that. Ever.

Yes, it is. In the rapidly changing world, people try to apply the implications and intents of old laws before making new ones, all the time, and sometimes successfully.

No it isn't. Real world laws have to state everything clearly, any mucky stuff only makes thinks more difficult. An unwritten rule is no rule at all.

With these rules active, you could do some detective work if necessary and then complain to the Council about the other character, should you find out who it was. While the rules wouldn't allow you to retaliate by yourself, they would allow you to bring complete ruin to them if you could get others to your side. And if you couldn't, you probably had deserved it anyway. We could compare this to vigilantism versus the police in real life.

You really over estimate the council. They did nothing when I pointed out that essence was being siphoned from the sleeping gods, nor when I accused people of consorting with the voices.

However, I can see I'm failing to persuade you, and you see my ideas beyond saving. I'd be grateful if you (,or anyone, for that matter,) typed up a better version with less loopy Legalese. I know a first draft is almost never the best, and the rules should actually be decided on together. So really; help me, please, to make things better. And let's not get too salty over this, neither of us is Truean.

But I don't want the laws. Have this game is interfering with mortals, the other half is creating things. This would get in the way of that. In fact, you are probably the only one who wants this.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 22, 2014, 11:18:05 am »

How much would it cost to create Crystalline Knowledge?
You know crystals, that when they are touched, teach you the knowledge of Light, and Lightmaking?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 22, 2014, 11:41:48 am »

But if someone's 20 year old son steals your spark plugs for himself, he is punished. Not his parent. They are fully rational adults with free will, not dogs, as you seem to think they are. It makes no since to punish a Father for sins of the child, I don't think anyone ever did that. Ever.
When you punish someone for a crime, you look into why he did it. Poor parenting is one possible reason for it, and if it is, the parent may be given some of the blame. At this point in the game, the races are still young and morally undeveloped beyond what we have taught them.

No it isn't. Real world laws have to state everything clearly, any mucky stuff only makes thinks more difficult. An unwritten rule is no rule at all.
Give me some time and I'll find you a source to prove my point and the above one.

You really over estimate the council. They did nothing when I pointed out that essence was being siphoned from the sleeping gods, nor when I accused people of consorting with the voices.
The council had no power in those situations, because we have given it very little. They were handled as personal matters, and nobody was interested, apparently.

But I don't want the laws. Have this game is interfering with mortals, the other half is creating things. This would get in the way of that. In fact, you are probably the only one who wants this.
*cough*secret goals we*cough*might want to*cough*get in the way of*cough* It's fine, you don't have to agree with me.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 22, 2014, 11:47:27 am »

When you punish someone for a crime, you look into why he did it. Poor parenting is one possible reason for it, and if it is, the parent may be given some of the blame. At this point in the game, the races are still young and morally undeveloped beyond what we have taught them.

Give me some time and I'll find you a source to prove my point and the above one.

No you don't, so have all the time you need. Nobody is going to support your proposal anyway, there is not much point to arguing it.

The council had no power in those situations, because we have given it very little. They were handled as personal matters, and nobody was interested, apparently.

The rules state that the more gods supporting something, the more difficult it is to reverse. As only one god created the people, reversing it would be simple for two gods or doable for one. Handing as personal matters is fine, but makes reversing the process easy.

*cough*secret goals we*cough*might want to*cough*get in the way of*cough* It's fine, you don't have to agree with me.

The only one who might have related secret goals would be Varee, and I would rather have him beat you than my power reduced in all honesty.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 22, 2014, 01:02:40 pm »

I couldn't actually find any reliable sources for or against the matter, though I didn't search very thoroughly. Too tired (and lazy, and generally disliking Internet arguments,) to continue, I concede OOC. Not IC, however, for when the real world doesn't exist, you can go in any direction and make your own sources.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 22, 2014, 01:14:33 pm »

I couldn't actually find any reliable sources for or against the matter, though I didn't search very thoroughly. Too tired (and lazy, and generally disliking Internet arguments,) to continue, I concede OOC. Not IC, however, for when the real world doesn't exist, you can go in any direction and make your own sources.

Yay! That is like the third internet argument I won on this thread *Waves tiny American flag strapped to a rifle*

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #414 on: October 22, 2014, 03:18:04 pm »

The more I think about the war stuff, the more it seems like running two games in parallel in the same setting. Not that there's any problem with it.

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Lost in Nowhere

• Bay Watcher
  • AHAHAHAHA~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 22, 2014, 04:07:42 pm »

$$$
Price checks on several things:

-This artifact:
Spoiler: Artifact-y thing (click to show/hide)
-A unique angel of death
-Something that can put a living thing in a stasis of sorts for an arbitrary period of time
And so I strike, like an unseen dodge ball in an echoing gymnasium!
Another book entitled Start Your Day with Extinction.
Must be the next book in the series after Start Your Day with Death.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #416 on: October 22, 2014, 04:32:35 pm »

$$$Response
The artifact: Low 1-2 Essence
Unique Angel of Death: High 4-5 Essence
Stasis cradle (?): High 2-3 Essence, can be lower if you enlist Cim's help

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #417 on: October 22, 2014, 04:58:58 pm »

Well, what happened to the scales? They would be useful in this war...

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #418 on: October 22, 2014, 05:04:51 pm »

I don't know. I was kind of expecting you to provide the story of what happened to them.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #419 on: October 22, 2014, 05:13:06 pm »

I don't know. I was kind of expecting you to provide the story of what happened to them.
Okay, I'll do that.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 350