Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 52

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - IC Thread  (Read 58768 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - IC Thread
« Reply #480 on: February 11, 2015, 04:49:18 pm »

"It iz not impozzible for him to have varned his friends through magic. Ve do not have all zhe time of zhe vorld. Ve can cut zhe zhings ve vant to know out of him later."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:19:02 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 11, 2015, 06:27:05 pm »

"Heard of him a few times, I think. Ancient destroyer, and apparently a few kobolds worship him. I met a few of them working for Talor, actually. They mean well enough. Er, actually, they don't mean well at all, but they're restrained enough about it to not backstab you. Well, maybe if you happen to expose your back obviously. Or at all. Actually, you know what? They're all bastards, to be frank.

But, I can't say I know much about him. He's supposed to have some sort of history with Talor, but He doesn't share many stories."
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 12, 2015, 11:56:34 pm »

The priest, finally certain that he wouldn't be killed the second he lit the torch, grabbed the tindersticks and lit them. Upon igniting the torch [which he carried in his weapon hand keeping his shield at his side] he looked around the room trying to memorize it just in case he must extinguish the torch again.

"The gods themselves stopped this demon. What evidence do you have against our employers?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 14, 2015, 01:47:06 pm »

[12+3]  You know of a few old stories. Talor was supposed to be a vengeful earth spirit, who raged against the civilized races for destroying the natural world. He was supposed to have been consumed by rage, and exiled to the deepest pits of the earth. You don't know of any links between him and Alathoth, though.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 14, 2015, 04:46:32 pm »

The priest, finally certain that he wouldn't be killed the second he lit the torch, grabbed the tindersticks and lit them. Upon igniting the torch [which he carried in his weapon hand keeping his shield at his side] he looked around the room trying to memorize it just in case he must extinguish the torch again.

"The gods themselves stopped this demon. What evidence do you have against our employers?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Try the constant oppression of everyone who would ever think to oppose them. Try the utter destruction of the life around Aretrian. Try the squalor so many have been forced into. If you need further proof, I can take you to meet with Talor."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 14, 2015, 11:26:28 pm »

"Captain, I don't like this. But... Maybe we should look into this. Without the guards."
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 18, 2015, 07:04:48 pm »

((Sorry, was busy spinning up my own game))

"Well, I'm convinced. Introduce me to this Tal-or of yours. I am interested to hear his side of the story."

Action: Let's meet this Talor fellow.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 18, 2015, 07:20:10 pm »

Ava opened her mouth to say something, then shrugged. If any problems arose, she'd kill until the walls dripped red and the problem solved. She liked simple solutions like that.
"If you're zure, Ozirio. Zhen ve vill."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 18, 2015, 07:25:01 pm »

"Well, one must think. If he's lying, we'll be fighting again soon-which is what we were doing anyway. It's hardly worth a bit of time to see if the situation go the other way.

If he's telling the truth, then things change. Maybe we are on the wrong side. Maybe no side is the right side.

To you, sir, I only ask one more question-would your people still summon your hungry God if the threat from the Lords was ended? It seems to me your solution is an efficient one, but best reserved until all other options are expended, yes?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 18, 2015, 07:53:04 pm »

"Well, one must think. If he's lying, we'll be fighting again soon-which is what we were doing anyway. It's hardly worth a bit of time to see if the situation go the other way.

If he's telling the truth, then things change. Maybe we are on the wrong side. Maybe no side is the right side.

To you, sir, I only ask one more question-would your people still summon your hungry God if the threat from the Lords was ended? It seems to me your solution is an efficient one, but best reserved until all other options are expended, yes?"

"No, I wouldn't. Nor would any of the other rebels. But, the problem is, unless Talor seeks to deceive us all, which is a possibility, upon the Lord's being gone, His bindings would slacken. And with that, he'd be free. Not quite as powerful as he'd be if he were released otherwise, but free nonetheless. For the last fucking time, Renais. Yes, they're assassins, yes, that's your duty, but use some common sense! Marrus, take his blade.

So. I suppose we'll set off, then. But I must warn you, the guards were with me for a reason and it wasn't assassins. These caverns are dangerous, haunted by monsters. I, being more of a political rebel, am unable to really fight. And don't think about any funny business with killing me and being done with this. Once we're in the hearts of the caverns, you'll likely be lost in the twisting mazes, stalked by beasts that know it by heart.

Now, we'll run into a few landmarks, most of them dangerous. The first will be a large abandoned fortress, once owned by the drow. Some creatures undoubtedly remain, as does some treasure, if you're feeling adventurous. I've yet to get around to pillaging it. Next along, after a long stretch of caverns, will be a tribe of strange plant-creatures. They're friendly enough, and know me well. We can rest there once we arrive. Finally, we'll come across a set of three massive lakes, in a triangular shape. Around the nearest, we need to creep around very carefully. I've yet to see it, but some say it's the haunt of an aboleth. The farthest is our goal. It's flooded with sahuagin and kua-toa, but in the center is an island, with an opening to caverns further below. This is the home of Talor. Before setting off, any last questions?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 18, 2015, 08:34:07 pm »

Ava was busy in a staredown with the guards.
"Fine. But your guards vill go virst. And you vill stay next to me. Zo if you try anyving, I vill crush your skull vith zhis hammer."
She thudded said hammer's head into the ground to demonstrate the weight. She beckoned the hostage over.
"If your guards get too close, even not on purpoze, I vill kill you."

It was the terms she'd given before when she'd had a hostage. She hadn't had the Common words then, but everyone understand the threat of a knife to a child's throat. That day had ended in red.
She hadn't ruled out this one would, either. She wouldn't sabotage Osirio's talking efforts, even if she disagreed, but she wouldn't be too sad if she had to fight.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 19, 2015, 09:16:14 am »

"I think Ava has made her reservations clear enough.

I am ready to depart. No doubt, if we do end up in a monsters belly or worse, we might end up trusting one another after this, I think..."

As the group settled into a formation, he patted Ithy's gently on the shoulder.

"It seems your travels have lead you back home, my dear Ithys. Perhaps we will run into your extended family?" he said with a sarcastic air. He had enough stories of Drow to not be terribly interested in being filled full of poison arrows and carted off to serve some spider architecture crazed matriarchal Empire. It really wasn't as pleasant as it sounded.

Action: Knowledge Arcana checks on sahuagin, kua-toa, and aboleth

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 19, 2015, 09:38:46 am »

"I doubt it. I don't exactly have anyone waiting for me back home, and that wasn't particularly close to here. Not that I would complain at the chance to stab some demon-fondlers, but I'd rather we didn't run into any other Drow; I doubt it would go well for us."
Follow along, keeping eyes out for trouble.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 20, 2015, 07:55:08 am »

Also follow along, pondering as I do so: what are sahuagin, kua-toa, aboleths, and triangular lakes? Bardic Knowledge! Try to keep away from the front.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:59 pm »

"I think Ava has made her reservations clear enough.

I am ready to depart. No doubt, if we do end up in a monsters belly or worse, we might end up trusting one another after this, I think..."

As the group settled into a formation, he patted Ithy's gently on the shoulder.

"It seems your travels have lead you back home, my dear Ithys. Perhaps we will run into your extended family?" he said with a sarcastic air. He had enough stories of Drow to not be terribly interested in being filled full of poison arrows and carted off to serve some spider architecture crazed matriarchal Empire. It really wasn't as pleasant as it sounded.

Action: Knowledge Arcana checks on sahuagin, kua-toa, and aboleth
[14+5] You've heard some stories about hideous creatures resembling humanoid fish calling themselves Sahuagin before. They're supposed to be largely cave creatures, not fond of the light, but every so often they're supposed to rise up from the seas and storm coastal cities. Most have always regarded them as legends. They're fabled to train sharks, dolphins, and according to one particularly fantastical story, a whale. Even if that's true, you certainly won't come across a whale down here, though. [7+5] The Kuo-Toa are more frog like, and are often driven more by greed than the Sahuagin's bloodlust. They're irrational, but one may reason with them, the clerics especially. It does help to line their pockets first, though. There is no love lost between the Sahuagin and Kuo-Toa; even in the largely apocryphal stories regarding them, not one speaks of them interacting besides warring.
The Aboleth, on the other hand, [4+5] is entirely an unknown.

Also follow along, pondering as I do so: what are sahuagin, kua-toa, aboleths, and triangular lakes? Bardic Knowledge! Try to keep away from the front.
You've heard some tales over the years, enough at least to have pieced together what Osirio also knows about the Sahuagin and Kuo-Toa. The Aboleth is likewise something you've never heard of. Triangular lakes you've heard stories of, like the (in)famous Guardian Lakes encircling and serving to protect a small fortress in the west. None of those lakes have any relevance to the matter at hand, though.

The party sets out towards the destination, guided by Arias and lit by torch and lantern. The guards are careful to stay away, with Renais being stripped of his blade due to his apparent over-eagerness. A few times, a low rustling prompts Arias to douse the lights and tell everyone to remain silent, before continuing on. Upon prompting, he says "Not now--angering Them now would be suicide. Once we reach the village." Something about the way he says "Them" implants the capital T firmly in your mind. You walk for what feels like hours through the inky blackness, the breathing of the wind rushing in and out of the chasm behind you slowly fading until it seems like little more than an echo of your heartbeat. So gradually that you don't even notice it, you begin to hear a new sound at the very edge of perception. With a start you realize you've been listening to it for several minutes now, and identify it vaguely as the sound of cascading water. It's shortly thereafter that a tongue of light from the torch falls upon a bit of carved masonry. Arias throws up his lantern and takes a few steps forwards, confirming what he thought.

"We've reached our first landmark. Welcome to the Drow fortress. Named, as best as I can decipher from the faded scripts, Narasul. What, if anything, this means in the dark elves' tongue, I don't know. We're about two thirds away from our final destination, and the path to the village is about ten minutes from here, if memory serves. We can stop and rest there, and come back here if your lust for gold should get the better of you. You do seem like the adventurous types, after all, and Talor isn't exactly going anywhere!" the noble states with an air of excitement, before chuckling quietly at his own joke.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 52