Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - IC Thread  (Read 58797 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - IC Thread
« Reply #435 on: January 09, 2015, 03:10:22 pm »

"Most people don't nearly have as much fun as you do, Ava."
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 09, 2015, 05:03:30 pm »

"Most people are veak."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 09, 2015, 06:20:31 pm »

"Economically it wouldn't work. From what I understand these creatures are rather expensive to make and even harder to maintain. Plus the elements can be unkind to clockworks. That being said I hope you are wrong as well Captain. It would be... unwise to tempt fate. Another question: Do you think that, when the master of the house is gone, we might appropriate this place as a base to work with? It would be better than going to that beastly bar every night in order to sleep."
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 09, 2015, 06:33:36 pm »

"Hiding in the volf's den is not cunning, priest, vhen ozer volves come to visit."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 09, 2015, 06:35:25 pm »

"And paying money every night for a place to sleep is? We're smart. We could more easily fortify this place than seperate bar rooms. If nothing else it's cheaper."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 09, 2015, 06:40:03 pm »

"It is not zubtle to murder zhe owner and occupy his houze. Ve are meant to keep out of notice.

Well, if you zo wish, you have to kill every one of zhese zervants. Vait by zhe door zo when the vuns who snuck out return you can batter zhem to death. A zingle one living vould raize zhe alarm. I have no problem with zhat, but Ozirio might."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 10, 2015, 09:28:21 am »

"Economically it wouldn't work. From what I understand these creatures are rather expensive to make and even harder to maintain. Plus the elements can be unkind to clockworks. That being said I hope you are wrong as well Captain. It would be... unwise to tempt fate. Another question: Do you think that, when the master of the house is gone, we might appropriate this place as a base to work with? It would be better than going to that beastly bar every night in order to sleep."

"And we always learn to make things more cheaply, don't we...? Progress, Mr. Culpa...

...As for the other plan...we would have to have someone to replace the masters if we were to do this-either we convince the master to change sides, find a lookalike, or a family member, or a good actor. Ava is right on that-we can't exactly occupy a place where the owner was found lying in a ditch with his parts removed, or has mysteriously vanished with no explanation. We would be attracting too much attention. We would need a way to make sure the volves...er, wolves do not get our scent, to use Ava's colorful expression."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 09:30:07 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 10, 2015, 10:34:35 am »

"Beastly bar?!?" whispered back Ari, appalled. "To sleep?!?!"

He was beginning to understand the ghastly perversions of the tall, and they were more unedifying than his elders had ever led him to suspect.

He crept on, feeling a chill in his soul.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 16, 2015, 06:19:26 pm »

Realising that his chanting has saved his life, Ari continues mumbling, before Hiding and Moving Silentlyish through the door the construct came through. After trying to remove its armoured groin plate for himself.
It takes a bit of yanking, but Ari does manage to eventually recover the groin plate. It's too large for him, but it'll make a nice trophy regardless.

Osirio was actually sort of glad he didn't have to enact "Plan B".

That Chef made a pretty good casserole.

"Well! Nice shot, Mr. Culpa. I'm sure he felt the full force of your argument...can I examine that cylinder a moment? And, let's see...well, that's a lot of scrap. Might be useful, after we're done."

Osirio frowned at his dented shield. He supposed it was better than a dent in his head...

Action: Examine the cylinder with my arcane knowledge, if possible. (+5)

Follow Ari if he signals or all clear, or we hear a terrible crunching noise from his general direction

13/13 HP

[1] Let's see...This marking means it's lower class. Or higher. You can't remember. And that symbol there-- was it fire? Wait, no, air. Or maybe astral energy. Arrgh, this is getting you nowhere! At least you know it can be used as a sort of magic battery, but you don't really have the materials nor skills to make use of it that way.

"Indeed. We don't have the time to torture him, though...I am thinking that we should hand off the other staff to the Lords once they arrive to taken our prisoner into custody, assuming we do. They will be out of the way then-no matter what they choose to do with them. The chef will likely die in any case, as the situation permits, but I can hopefully convince him it is more likely everyone else will live if he helps us capture this man...of course, if he refuses, you can kill him. And if we do not catch the man alive, it's likely the rest of them must be killed as well." Osirio says, a bit bitterly, if quietly enough the hostages could not hear.

As a rule, he found such things distasteful...which was he had people like Ava do it for him.

Second Action! Slap the chef awake and try to convince him to help lead us to his master with my diplomacy (+9)

Tell him catching this *evil* man will likely spare the rest of the people in the household a grisly fate.

[17+5]Frustrated with the cylinder, Osirio instead wakes the chef. He assures him that he has no intention of hurting him (Technically true), and in fact, he's working for the chef's good (Well, he is a citizen of Aretrian, and Osirio is working for the city's leader...). Having calmed him and convincing him you mean no harm (You have to wonder if that blow to his head messed with his memory), you begin spinning a story [18+3], telling him that Arias is a dangerous rebel, working to slay the people of Aretrian. The fact that you have no proof for the second part, and the first may actually be a moral thing, is carefully stepped around. Once you've finished, the chef is all too ready to aid you. Noticing the scrap pile, he tells you it probably woke Sentim (Arias's first name, apparently), but he could help you bypass the other clockwork warriors.
Arias won't be in his room; he'll be heading underground, into his spacious basement. He doesn't know where he intends to go from there, but apparently you aren't the first assassins to come here, and he hid down there the previous times. He'll be with some elite bodyguards, taking a simple rope elevator from the second floor. You might be able to intercept them, taking the stairs. You probably won't be able to take on the bodyguards in a straight fight, according to him. Few can. Finally, he agrees to lead the way.

While Osirio roused the cook, Avalanche routed through the machine. She lifted the dented helm, shaking it to let the components tumble out before placing it on her head and looking out the glass eyes. She made a sound a tossed the helm aside.
Zhere is nothing like zhis up North.  Ztill, it vas veak.
She picked up the hammer it used and compared it to her own.[/b]
Comparing the hammer to Ava's maul, it shapes up poorly. The weapon, though infinitely lighter and easier to carry, would only be about half as powerful. It would seem the clockwork's power comes primarily from sheer strength.
((In other words, it's a standard medium-sized warhammer, assuming it has no magic properties.))

Ari also remembers to Listen (+6) as he scouts ahead. As much as Mumbling permits.
[10+6] Nothing. Well, a few rats, but nothing of note.

Realising that his chanting has saved his life, Ari continues mumbling, before Hiding and Moving Silentlyish through the door the construct came through. After trying to remove its armoured groin plate for himself.
Finally, Ari gently opens the door and peak through. It would seem his hiding and silent movement was for nothing, because there isn't anything to see nor hear him.

The chef begins walking ahead of you, beckoning for you to follow. You go through several rooms of the house; lobbies, lounges, libraries, and an awful lot of spacious pantries. The chef explains frankly that the master is fond of food and drink, perhaps overly. And, he often has guests, who seem to be often ravenous. Not that he's ever seen them, but he hears of their visit often. Finally, you come to a nondescript wooden door.
"Hear we are. I must say, I'm anxious. The master said to never enter here. I wonder what secrets he's been keeping."
With that, he pushes it open. At once, he shortly gasps, and seems struck by what he sees, and mutters a small invocation to Estanna.
Looking over his shoulder, you see a vast set of switchback stairs, alongside a massive pit, leading far below sight. There's a large alcove going along the edge of the pit, with a rope in it, likely to the mentioned elevator. The rope is still moving over the pully. It would appear the elevator is still in motion. The chef has taken a few steps back, evidently none too fond of the large drop.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:06:45 pm by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 17, 2015, 11:54:22 am »

"Hmm, let's stop that pulley, first...and see who we can catch." Osirio muttered.

Osirio withdrew his long guisarme from his back and attempted to lever the haft end of it in the pulley wheel, against the wall.

He cast a sardonic glance at Ava-her thoughts clearly on tossing the unflappable chef down the pit. It was just a tell-her left eye started doing a twitchy dance whenever she wanted to kill someone. Which was often.

He spoke to her quietly, a hand on her shoulder.

"The Chef helped us of his own free will, Ava. Let's save him a bit longer-he's been quite useful so far. We shouldn't harm him...at least, intentionally. One does not toss away a useful tool until it's use is...expended."

Action: Use my guisarme to jam the pulley and stop the elevator!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 17, 2015, 01:16:24 pm »

Ava had been seized by an urge to boot the larger man down the pit, it was true. Somehow, the words "This is Aretrian" came to mind unbidden.

In  response to her master's words she hummed non-committally. She couldn't see the cook having much use... and the cook needed to die at some point, anyway. She couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed, but she nodded in acceptance, stepping up to the edge herself and looking down.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 17, 2015, 01:25:20 pm »

Action: Use my guisarme to jam the pulley and stop the elevator!
Unfortunately, the pulley isn't within view nor reach. Presumably, it's back up somewhere on the second floor. You can still cut it, if you like, or you could try some other method of jamming it.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 18, 2015, 09:50:41 pm »

Ava had been seized by an urge to boot the larger man down the pit, it was true. Somehow, the words "This is Aretrian" came to mind unbidden.

In  response to her master's words she hummed non-committally. She couldn't see the cook having much use... and the cook needed to die at some point, anyway. She couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed, but she nodded in acceptance, stepping up to the edge herself and looking down.
Ava steps forwards, to look down into the abyss. Your mind reels at the depth; you aren't sure how far down it is, but you see a small glimmer of light somewhere below. Arias, likely. The sheer sides imply the chasm was made with magic, though the staircases are of clearly dwarvern make. The chef nervously steps forward.

"Well...Eh, I suppose we'd best set off, right? No point staying here."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 18, 2015, 10:52:53 pm »

"We should cut the rope I think."

Can we reach the rope?

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 18, 2015, 11:38:15 pm »

"We should cut the rope I think."

Can we reach the rope?
Osirio can reach it with his guisarme.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52