Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 52

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - IC Thread  (Read 58815 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - IC Thread
« Reply #315 on: December 13, 2014, 03:35:16 pm »

Osirio rolls his eyes.

"Pfh. My real wife will no doubt be the trading chip, to gain Osirio an advantage in Politics, a marriage into a powerful family to gain wealth and prestige. Duty will come into the thing, of course, to make an heir, just so-but, love? Unlikely. Lust, hopefully, at least...fondness is probably more than this one can hope for.

Osirio would not waste time doting a woman who does not desire him, however, and satisfy his needs elsewhere. That is the way of things."
He says, smiling slyly.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 13, 2014, 04:21:39 pm »

"I zee." Again that neutral tone. She paused to adjust her dress slightly,  and shifted her conversation to business matters when out of range for the Lords to hear easily.

"Vell, zhey use magic items, at least partially. Zhey vould be useful, if ve could take zhem from zhem. Tele-port-ation-" she said, struggling slightly with the long, foreign word - "Is alvays useful. Ve should look into finding zomething zhat blocks scrying, zhough."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 04:45:20 pm by GiglameshDespair »
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 13, 2014, 04:43:54 pm »

"There are ways and ways. The best way is not leave parts of yourself lying about-why do you think I insisted we go to a salon where they know me? I trust them to burn your hair, so it can't be used to track you magically. You can also train your mind to detect prying attempts...

...I admit, though, the look on the face of the stylist when you drew your dagger was quite amusing and worth the trip anyway."
He says levelly.

The poor stylist had come at Ava with a pair of hair-clippers and Ava had thought she was an assassin...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 13, 2014, 05:07:31 pm »

"You should have varned me. I don't understand vhy my hair had needed cutting, anyvay. I cut my own hair and never vorried before."

Ava had always cut her own fringe when it got too long, letting the rest grow for the most part. So when the woman had swung some scissors towards her face, Ava had got... defensive.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2014, 08:37:06 am »

Sometime, before or later...

Osirio took a moment for a bit of fresh air from the press of the crowd, telling Ava he needed to find a privy. He needed a moment...there was something on his mind. He went down an alleyway, then turned around and leaned up against a wall. He was feeling well enough, though nearly insensible from lack of sleep-he had been running all day on adrenaline, and hadn't slept at all the previous night.

No, there was something else on his mind.

"Revi. I need to talk with you. Are you here?" He asked quietly, feeling a bit ridiculous. This was the name he had only used with Ithy's...back when he had known her much better.

He had a feeling she would be close, watching over him....or maybe it was just lack of sleep.
Best a little before.

The shadows in the alley shifted slightly, then hissed out a response.
Spoiler: Elven (click to show/hide)
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 15, 2014, 09:27:55 am »

The shadows in the alley shifted slightly, then hissed out a response.

He asks in his own accented Elven, trying to make out her form in the shadows. She was so different then the person he had once known...but then again, Osirio had changed in that time as well, had he not? Maybe she recognized as little of him, as he did of her.

"You should have varned me. I don't understand vhy my hair had needed cutting, anyvay. I cut my own hair and never vorried before."

Ava had always cut her own fringe when it got too long, letting the rest grow for the most part. So when the woman had swung some scissors towards her face, Ava had got... defensive.

Osirio brightens up at the thought. He runs his hand through Ava's hair fondly, if a bit absently-mindedly. He withdraws quickly after a long moment, as if he did something wrong.

"I forgot you have much to learn.

In the any case, I suppose it's time for vows. Don't worry-the priest is a complete fraud, so we will not be legally bound in any sense...I've even got us a bridal suite! Osirio will sleep on the comforter."

He took her by the hand so they would make a good showing when they emerged. He paused a moment.

"Oh yes. I should ask-how real do you want the kiss to be? I am well obliged to give you what ever you want, my Snow-Wife." He says, smiling wryly.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:29:53 am by Dwarmin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 15, 2014, 12:18:10 pm »

She shrugged. "It vill be more convincing if it is real. Zhat is the purpose here, after all."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2014, 12:33:04 pm »

"I will make sure it is very convincing. Only you, and I will know the truth." Osirio says, casually excluding his teammates.

With that, he leads her back to the party...

[END]

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2014, 07:27:19 pm »

He asks in his own accented Elven, trying to make out her form in the shadows. She was so different then the person he had once known...but then again, Osirio had changed in that time as well, had he not? Maybe she recognized as little of him, as he did of her.
A brief pause, ended by what sounded like a supressed snort.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2014, 09:02:55 pm »

"I will make sure it is very convincing. Only you, and I will know the truth." Osirio says, casually excluding his teammates.

With that, he leads her back to the party...

[END]

His hand was wrapped around hers. She didn't smile, but her grip was firm around his.
"It vill be our secret..."

He lead. She followed.

END

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 16, 2014, 09:06:43 am »

A brief pause, ended by what sounded like a supressed snort.

Osirio nods, seemingly clearing his head.

"...Ah, no more than a bad joke, I guess. We'll need to leave this for another night. I was just thinking...well, know that you'll always be more than a friend to me, Reva. What you helped me through, long ago...I can't forget that. Nor what I felt for you. It's hard for a man to move on, without putting pay to his past...but, not the time. I must needs be back.

...I also needed to remind you to pick up the stone in the alley, after the celebration. Our friends might have left us a message. Be careful, of course. They might have left something else."

With that he strolled out. He supposed it wasn't the right time...but, he was finding it hard to move on. He just wanted to look into her eyes-he recalled they were a brilliant shade of dark purple you could drown in-and see if the felt for her how he had before...but, he was quickly finding that Reva often kept her hood lowered.

[END]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:38:18 am by Dwarmin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 17, 2014, 12:36:41 pm »

[NOT THE END!]

The "couple" returned back to their table, just as the barbequed pork shanks were being served to the guests. Delicious!

Osirio, hungry and in high spirits, proceeded to tell Ava some things about his childhood...well, the good parts anyway.

"You know I am a man of the desert, far to the South of our Aretrian...the desert they call the "Bonedrifts", because of the pure white sand that stretches for miles unto miles-in truth, my elders said it was made from the powder of long dead stones of a long dead sea, turned to dust after uncounted millenia. A desert that was once an ocean, if you believe the tales.

It is not as hot as you might imagine, though, nor as desolate. There is water, and where there is water there is life...I was born to an Elven mother who fell for the rouges charm of a Human sorcerer during a summer dance. Ah, my father was a good man, but he couldn't be bothered to stick about-all true, the Elven clan my mother belonged too...well, they did not like the idea, to be sure. I spent most of my youth wishing my father would come home-as he sometimes did, every year or so-and take me away on his adventures...he told me so much about the world I could not hope to understand, of his own travels and dangers...I wanted to follow. He would bring me and my mother small treasures, but I loved the books most of all. I could not understand half the languages they were written in, at first, but they were like magic portals into other worlds. One step, and Osirio was lost...

Oh, there are other joys in the sands, do not think otherwise. You have already learned to enjoy Osirio's cooking-I must one day introduce to you to Jerboa Stew, the most choice of dishes! There are powerful Blue Dragons who live under the sands, and they protect all those who dwell in peace in the desert, as long as they pay proper respect and tribute...they are very useful to talk to, and trade with, if they do not eat you. Osirio used to practice riddle games against the Blues-the price of a beautiful gem, worth the taste his own hide. High risk games, for very foolish young men...and foolish young dragons, who were left poorer.

And, you have not lived until you've ridden a Slingsail. It rides over the dunes like a ship on the waves-very fast, very dangerous...very fun. Osirio only had a small one, fit for himself, but he has heard some afford them as large as seagoing vessels. Once upon a time, Osirio dreamed of owning his very own-becoming a trader, maybe...or a sand pirate. "

Osirio laughs.

"Well, I saw my father last on my fifteenth birthday, and never again. After two years I was forced to leave on my own, to spare my poor mother-she will still be young, long after Osirio is dust. This is painful for any mother...to lose a son. I do not hope to ever see her again, but I hope she is well. I miss her, dearly...but, the clan was always against us. We could have no peace.

...You must see-to an Elf clan, what was Osirio but a half-breed of a nuisance? Why bother getting to know him when he will die in a mayfly's span, at least according to their reckoning? It was most vexing...and, of course, my cursed powers marked me as a threat. I had always thought to inherit a portion of power from my father by blood, but what I got, I could not control. Bad things happened around me-and when people bothered me, they would have accidents...I was blamed, though I did not know these things I did. I became...angry, and introverted..."

He pauses to spear a pork shank with his fork.

"I lashed out, like an angry child-I must admit-and with every day they turned more so against me. So, I was driven away, and a hex on them I say. Osirio then promised to have no family, to bind himself to no friends, to seek nothing, but escape from this vale of tears...you see? Osirio was once a bitter, confused boy. He did much harm, to himself and others. Osirio would have become a monster, surely, but...to say-he was saved, though only by a monster worse than himself...though I could not tell she was a monster at first. That is a story for another day, however.

What of your childhood, Ava? Is it something you feel you can talk about?"
He asked.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 17, 2014, 01:41:59 pm »

"No."

Serenely, she ripped a chunk of meat and crammed it in her mouth, tossing her head back to swallow the half-chewed chunk.

"My life vas vorthless until I killed my varther. After zhat was the vhite days, and I do not remember much but vog from zhose days. I did not remember your name, or even if you ever said it."She turned her head to look at him. "But I remembered your face. You were even more gaunt zhen. You..."

She broke off. Realisation seemed of dawn on her face. "Of course. I forgot." She reached towards his hand, turning it over so the palm was up. "You..."
She dropped fifteen coins into his hand and sat back. "I remember. 'You are owing me fifteen gold, little-znow-girl.'. So now you are repaid zhat part." She looked satisfied and turned back to the food, ripping off more meat to gulp down.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 09:47:46 am by GiglameshDespair »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 17, 2014, 02:03:31 pm »

Osirio scoops the coins into his purse deftly.

"A debt is repaid, then. Such a small amount for a life...but, Osirio knows the value of his coin, just so." He says, weighing the money.

He nodded at her other remark,

"Ah, yes gaunt-your Northern winds, and of course Osirio did not eat nearly as well then. He has learned to catch a better price, and no more caravan jobs, of course. They treat a man like a pack animal-poor feed.

...Well, tell me about the journey that brought you South. I recall hearing some rumors about those who dared acost someone matching your description and ending up...in poor health? Why did you come for this one, anyway? A girl could have stayed far in the North, and Osirio would never have known."
He said, speculatively. He was actually interested in the answer.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 17, 2014, 03:39:29 pm »

"I ate vell when I could raid the meat-caravans. Othervise, I hunted vith or by the volves. I set off, leaving my lair behind. It is in the forest, north-vest of the Dragon-cult camp of Kanzadr. Zhey had named me zhe Laugh of zhe Avalanche. Should ve ever head var north, ve could recover the things I left behind. Zhere was some stuff that vas valuable to zer dragon-cultists. A dragon scale. Some magic swords. Gold. Vorthless to me. But zhere may be something zhere you vant. It vas not easy, finding you. I did not know your name, or your job. I vandered for a vhile. Sometimes I vas attacked, and I killed zhose. Zometimes I got too hungry, zo I killed zhose I found and took vhat I vanted."

She remembered a young man, barely bearded and shaking, but holding a old sword before him, as if she'd walk onto the blade. His wife, a pretty young thing, cowered behind him. Ava had split the skull of their horse and left their wagon immobile. His wife hadn't even paid attention to her once her husband was dead, merely howling and sobbing. It was the first time Ava had encountered grief. Even when she mother had died, the Voice had filled her with red, rather than tears. Avalanche had taken the time to place their bodies in the wagon and set it alight before she continued on. Sometimes, she wondered why. She'd never bothered in the north, leaving the corpses of her victims to freeze hard in the frost.

"I met zhe gnome, along the vay. I vas raiding a caravan vhen the ground collapsed into zome zort of-" she cast for the word. "Grave? Tomb? Zhere was zome kind of puzzle in each room, and undead. The gnome read and spoke in dragontongue to open zhe doors. I destroyed zhe bone-men. Ve got out, in time, and parted vays.

Many thought to attack me. I vas alone, and vomen seem to be veak in zhese lands. Zoft and zimpering. Zome laughed at my hammer, and claimed it vas too big to vield. I proved zhem wrong. It vas chance we met again - I vas merely drifting. I nearly left again vhen you said I could not repay the life-debt. I do not like these zouthron lands. The north is honest, if cruel. But I vill stay for you, until the life-debt is done. Once it is...

I do not know. But I am not one who cares for deep thinking of zhe future."
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 52