Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 52

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - IC Thread  (Read 58784 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - IC Thread
« Reply #285 on: December 09, 2014, 03:53:28 pm »

Ava stared at him for a long moment.
"Osi- vhat- I-"

She reached out and took his hand. Beneath her scarf, she realised she was blushing slightly, and was glad her face could not be seen beneath scarf and paint. This was not what she expected. Maybe he could have done this instead with the dro-

No, definitely not.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 09, 2014, 09:55:25 pm »

"Wait... What? I-... Congratulations?" Culpa turned towards Ava and offered his hand nervously "May Hextor bless your union."
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 09, 2014, 11:45:22 pm »

Do any of the other members of the party do anything while Ava and Osirio are off? And if not, what do you do while waiting 'till midnight? Do you even intend to attend the meeting, for that matter?
Changeling goes looking for a safe place to stash stuff, and shopping for a couple of pairs of cheap clothes to stash there.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 11, 2014, 09:32:23 am »

Later, Osirio explains his plan a little better while crisping the letter.

"You see, I am cunning." He announces.

"If they are our friends, I have given them a venue where any man can be completely anonymous, and meet without causing suspicion-Osirio will make sure to talk to many people to deter this thing. Being a public event, with no guest list. Who can be out of a place at a wedding and who would cause trouble? We can meet in safety for both parties, and no one will be any the wiser.

If they meant for this to be a trap, they will have many witnesses. For those who must strike at midnight, they will shy off and we will have our answer.

The rest of you must spread the word, and listen for rumors about this lord, as well. During the festivities, I and Ava will be pretend to bride and groom, the center of attention-Culpa, Ari, and Ithy's will mingle in the crowd and keep overwatchful, looking for anything out of place."

Action: Osirio goes to inspect the spot for the "wedding", and also spreads word around to all his friends-by which he means, peddlers, whores and pickpockets. He looks for a really cheap band...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 11, 2014, 11:50:09 am »

"As you order." Culpa says as he leaves to do what Osirio suggested.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 11, 2014, 05:15:43 pm »

"I zee. It is a good plan."

I am no actor though. I hope you are not expecting me to do much talking."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 08:41:38 pm by GiglameshDespair »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 11, 2014, 08:36:09 pm »

Osirio enacts his cunning plan; he quickly leaps on the table, and shouts to the room in a hearty tone the news of his and Ava's "wedding". Several of the patrons erupt in a cheer, though you aren't sure if that's in celebration of the marriage or the free food. Asking around, you and Culpa invite several more people to the occasion. Most are those who make less-than-legal livings, but such people are often capable of fighting should a melee break out.
He also takes a chance to check out the alley beforehand. There's little of note, but one of the cellar doors has been left unlocked. Opening it with a hint of trepidation, he finds inside a narrow staircase leading to a surprisingly lavish room. Still a cellar, sure, but one with velvet cushioned chairs, a wide, finely carved table, and a facade hiding the natural dirt and stone of the room. Seven chairs sit near the table on the side opposite the door, and five chairs closer. A more in-depth search reveals little of note.
That done, he then goes in search of a cheap band for hire. You do come across one, charging a mere three gold. They would appear to have never even held their respective instruments in their life, but the music you promised wasn't necessarily promised to be good.

"Ithy" begins looking around for a safe storage place; initially, to little success, but soon she finds a small grotto near the river running through Aretrian. It's almost impossible to see from the banks, and should be secure. Buying a few sets of peasant's clothing, she stashes them there.

The midnight hour is soon approaching. It won't be long until your appointment with the alleged Lords arrive. A small group of celebrators have already arrived at the alley on Thalin Street, should any of you be present to see it. Do you have any last minute preparations?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 11, 2014, 08:42:34 pm »

Once more, Ava dresses in her dress, leaving the scarf on, though she scrubs off her facepaint. The only weapon she has is her knife.

Then she waits.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 11, 2014, 09:27:46 pm »

"Captain... I just want to say how proud I am that you and Ava will be getting married under the eyes of Hextor." Culpa said placing a hand on the Osirio's shoulder. "I just hope this doesn't break apart our little band of men hm?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 12, 2014, 10:03:57 am »

"Captain... I just want to say how proud I am that you and Ava will be getting married under the eyes of Hextor." Culpa said placing a hand on the Osirio's shoulder. "I just hope this doesn't break apart our little band of men hm?"

Osirio seems to be distracted, reading a arcane tome titled, The Reparations of the Weave, while leaning back in his chair, totally at ease.

"...Oh, I may be in love, but I'm not retired. Osirio's Bold Men will continue...though, I am thinking of naming them the Merry Men, due to the new happiness in my life. Or perhaps the Snow Men, in honor of my new wife.

We shall talk on this, more later."
He says, giving Culpa the look.

He leans over to Ava, whispering softly, the fingers of his left hand gently kneading the tightness in her shoulder. He thought she was a bit too tense.

"You're doing great. Just keep pretending to be the nervous bride! Remember you are a warrior, and this a battlefield like any other-a smile is your shield, and courtesy your armor. The weapons are real enough, of course.

...Also, I like that dress, you should know. It really brings out the coloring of your eyes."

Osirio himself fancied a pure white vest and slacks, probably the opposite color of the soul underneath. He had conjured a truly ridiculous, oversized floppy hat with a long feather in the brim. He had cunningly sewn his own dagger to a concealed pocket in the inside of the hat with a patch of leather and a few loops of a needle. He was ready to go.

He leaned back in his chair, waiting for everything to explode. Or maybe things would work this time. You could never really tell.

Action: Osirio mingles and relaxes, making sure to talk to lots of people-looking for the right person...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 10:05:41 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 12, 2014, 11:36:42 am »

Those same blue eyes met Osirio's.

"I must zay I prefer my actual armour to courtesy. This feels too vulnerable for my liking."

Despite her words, her lips twitched upwards.
"And you know I am not much vun for smiles."

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 12, 2014, 11:42:08 am »

"I didn't get my pay? Gods Damn that two faced scoundrel! Blast and feck."

Edit: "Oh right, no, there it is, right in me purse all along. Daft eejit. But a wedding? Poppycock and feckradish, but I see how you's wanting it to be. I'm only partly daft, I be warning you. Let'sme back here at dinner time."

Action: Leave. Bardic knowledge check what I know about a Lord of Aretrian, and another about its rulers and supposed power structures. Then, unless I remember anything that might affect my choice of destination, go to two different inns to Gather Information. If necessary spend up to 5gp at the cheaper one, and 10gp at the posher one, the hope being to get two different points of view.
Ari had asked around at various inns and taverns (Spending a total of three gold in various drinks), and had gotten a few different perspectives. It would seem the lower class believe in it more, but there are still some skeptics. They seem to think they're from the gods, and that they intend to lead them to ascension. It seems that there's a bit of an underground religion, though a small one.
The upper class, however, have something of an opposite belief; most claim that it's all absolute idiocy, many claiming that it's an altered form of old Orcish beliefs, and as such is savage and should be shunned. Those that do believe in the theory tend to think them as demonic rather than angelic, though a few members of the apparent religion are still about, but they're much quieter about it. However, even among those who worship them, they seem to believe they're inhuman.

Navigating the strange cross section of the populace with almost unnatural ease, Osirio is at the wedding, along with the rest of the party, and a large number of people. It would seem that word has spread quickly, and even some of the more vulgar of the de facto nobility have shown up; their rich purple robes standing out sharply against the fairly drab colors of the commoners and criminals. Several seem to have begun noticing some missing wallets. The band plays a decidedly out-of-key version of a wedding song common out to the west.
Then comes a sudden crack coming from the alley. Most would simply think it a false note from one of the drummers, but you recognize the sound; there's no mistaking the unique pitch of it. Somebody's teleported into the cellar.

It would seem the Lords have arrived.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 12, 2014, 12:15:22 pm »

Despite her words, her lips twitched upwards.
"And you know I am not much vun for smiles."

Osirio motioned for the horrible band to begin to play a rousing Rikilie dance. He doubted they were capable, but it was quite a noisy song. Maybe if they played loud enough no one would notice how bad they were.

"Osirio shall endeavor to thaw your stoicism then-just so."

With that, he swept her to her feet into a quick dance step.

Later, some time later, he turned to Ava as the Lords arrived.

"Now, we make the introductions. I hope they have not come to be the party crashing...er, party crashers. " He said, tapping his hat where he had hidden his knife.

He didn't ask where Ava had hidden her knife. That dress was a wonderfully nice fit.

He went to meet the mystery guests, with his "wife" by his side.

"My Lords. Welcome! Osirio is glad you have managed to making it. It's not much of a celebration, agreed but the attendance has surprised even me. So many people here.

Please, let us go to our table and speak more freely. I'm sure you wish to give your best wishes to my lovely snow-wife?"

Action: Who goes before Osirio?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 12:44:44 pm by Dwarmin »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 12, 2014, 01:18:53 pm »

Slipping out of the crowd hardly noticed, you make your way to the cellar, fending off small talk like sleet, giving only curt conversation to a handful of the more powerful guests. Finally, you make it to the cellar door, and enter when people are distracted by a squabble that threatens to turn into a bit of a fight. The room is as you remember it, though in the seven more distant chairs there now sit seven figures.

The appearance of the men strike you. They stand tall, at about 6 feet each, and wear loose robes, obscuring all details about their body. Each is also wearing a mask, dyed with strange, vibrant colors, and unusual carvings. Aside from this, no features can be discerned. You quickly regain your composure, and greet them. As if in reply, one stands. Its robe is a pure white, as is his mask, though it's lined with golden carvings, forming an angular picture of a sun, inside a circle. It begins to speak, in a masculine voice clearly used to speaking loudly.
"Ah, you have come. Oriso, no? I am Ulthra, the Law-Bringer, and the unofficial leader of the Lords. As you have no doubt heard in rumors and legend, we rule Aretrian, though from the shadows, for reasons better left unsaid. We know you have been in the caverns, and we suspect you've stumbled across a problem we've been dealing with for quite some time. You're bound to have figured this out eventually, but we've found evidence of...ah...shall we say, insurgents, operating out of the Caverns, and using the creatures of the Undercroft as warriors. Currently, they pose little threat, but they have plans set in motion that may be disastrous.

Ah, but I ramble. You see, the seven of us cannot hold off these foes forever. Though the City Guard is formidable enough to fend off the invaders, we need to move quickly, decapitate this organization, and prevent their plans. This is where you come in. You are skilled, can move quickly through their lines to destroy their leadership, and are a small enough group to delay being noticed. In exchange for such services, you will be given information, earn our favor, and of course, receive goods and gold. So, what is your decision? Shall you become our blade in this battle, to complement the shield of the City Guard?"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2014, 01:30:48 pm »

Ava let herself be swept along. She wasn't much of a dancer, placing her feet down like she was going into a battle-stance rather than a dance, but she tired her best. Despite herself, it was somewhat fun to whirl around. She let a smile grow. Simply for appearances. Of course.

She hoped Osirio would forgive her for that particularly nasty step on his foot just now, though...

---

Ava nodded at Osirio. So that was why he was wearing the silly hat. She remained silent as they slipped away form the party to meet the Lords.

She regarded the cloaked figures with a neutral expression. "Oriso"? She raised an eyebrow, looking unimpressed, looking at each of the figures in turn, studying the masks.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 52