Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 52

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - IC Thread  (Read 58770 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - IC Thread
« Reply #270 on: December 08, 2014, 10:23:56 am »

Ava thought of the music she had heard. Deep thundering drums and bellowing horns: it got her icy blood pumping and urging for battle. It was good. It was also completely unlike opera, but Ava didn't know that. Maybe if Osirio heard some good battle-music he would be more inclined to the violence Ava thrived on. A more war-like attitude might do him well.

"Then I vill come." she agreed, and ripped a chunk of bread from the half-loaf she held with her teeth.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 08, 2014, 10:37:05 am »

Scoffing at the booze Culpa whispers, with no true attempt at subtlety, "You didn't mention there'd be orcs here. Especially not the owners. Bah." Culpa shoved the booze towards Ari "Here, you seemed eager to get your pints. Have mine. I don't want anything from a damned orc."
The bartender gives a low snarl, and fingers his battleaxe. For the time being, however, he merely glares at you. It would seem the patrons haven't heard you.

Before long, a group of orcs, carrying drums and the occasional horn (Most of which you suspect started life as a bone), and get on the stage. After a few minutes of discussion, which almost breaks into a brawl on several occasions, they begin playing.  It's a fairly strange song; not as savage as one might expect, but ominous and sinister sounding nonetheless. The horns carry most of the melody, being a low, sonorous sound, while the drum beats serve to punctuate the notes. It's oddly hypnotizing, actually. Not to the degree of a fascinate spell, not that these orcs are likely to be bards, but the music worms it's way into your mind nonetheless. You almost seem to fall into a trance for a short moment, before snapping out of it. It's unsettling, to say the least. It would seem several of the patrons have been lulled into a similar trance. A handful have slumped over in sleep, though it's anyone's guess if that's due to the alcohol, music, or plain exhaustion.

The ale is already starting to take effect, and quite quickly. Those of you who've drunk the coppery liquid are beginning to feel drowsy, and  conversation is becoming hard. This, combined with the hearty meal, has left you hardly able to stay awake. Perhaps it would be best to call it a night. Anything else to do before retiring to your rooms?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 08, 2014, 10:49:25 am »

Ava thought of the music she had heard. Deep thundering drums and bellowing horns: it got her icy blood pumping and urging for battle. It was good. It was also completely unlike opera, but Ava didn't know that. Maybe if Osirio heard some good battle-music he would be more inclined to the violence Ava thrived on. A more war-like attitude might do him well.

"Then I vill come." she agreed, and ripped a chunk of bread from the half-loaf she held with her teeth.

"Ugh, that fat Orcish drummer is pounding my sinuses dry. Let's go.

I'll introduce you to my tailor as well. Maybe he can give you something a bit more...well, you know."
Osirio said, sadly plucking a loose thread from what he assumed was a bearskin coat.

Action: To the opera! By which I mean, timeshiftwarp forward.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 08, 2014, 12:57:40 pm »

"Is zhere zomething vrong with gnoll-hide?"

She deposited her hammer in the room, along with her shields.

She kept her knife.

Action: With Osirio! Apparently to a tailor, and then the opera.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 08, 2014, 01:22:47 pm »

"Is zhere zomething vrong with gnoll-hide?"

"Gnolls? Those are a kind of dog, right?

...Anyway, the Gnoll died for you (and probably was killed by you) the least you can do is spruce up his hide with some bits of colored linen. Look the part, eh? You're one of Osirio's Bold Men! Half of our asking price is in the presentation."
Osirio said, keen to teach Ava the ways of the mercenary.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 08, 2014, 04:31:36 pm »

"I think I'll go somewhere else. This establishment... is sub-par." Culpa tosses two silver onto the table "For my drink."

So saying he leaves with the other two but immediately parts ways to find a tavern more suitable for his liking. Specifically: Somewhere with very few orcs and as cheap as possible.

Find tavern. Rent room. Sleep. Pray for spells. Meet up with the party in the morning.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 08, 2014, 08:13:12 pm »

Ava looked at her motley garb of furs and armour.
"...I did kill zhe gnoll, yes. He objected most viercely to me skinning him." She smiled faintly under her scarf. One could suspect she had made a joke.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 08, 2014, 09:05:50 pm »

"I think I'll go somewhere else. This establishment... is sub-par." Culpa tosses two silver onto the table "For my drink."

So saying he leaves with the other two but immediately parts ways to find a tavern more suitable for his liking. Specifically: Somewhere with very few orcs and as cheap as possible.

Find tavern. Rent room. Sleep. Pray for spells. Meet up with the party in the morning.
The cheapest place around turns out to be the Furless Rat. It only costs 2 copper a night (You don't bother with a meal, since you've already eaten), and you quickly fall asleep, hardly even noticing the filthy sheets.

The rest of the party rests as well. In the morning, the party is informed that a courier left a letter for them last night.

Spoiler: Letter (click to show/hide)

Note read, Osirio and Ava head off for the Opera House of Aretrian; one of the largest in the city. But, first, the two of you stop by a tailor to get Ava some less ragged clothing. A considerable amount of time is spent taking measurements, stitching cloth, and sewing clasps, before finally, Ava emerges, now wearing a fine blue dress instead of her previous gnollskin garments.
That done, the pair head for the Opera House at last, paying to see the show. It's a breathtaking piece, each swell more tremendous than the last before building into a triumphant crescendo, and ending the final movement with a sweet refrain from the strings section. The whole affair lasts quite a long time, and by the time you emerge, you're almost blinded by the sunlight.

Do any of the other members of the party do anything while Ava and Osirio are off? And if not, what do you do while waiting 'till midnight? Do you even intend to attend the meeting, for that matter?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 09, 2014, 12:34:12 pm »

Wait for those two to return and then...

"So what do you think Captain? It's probably a trap."
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 09, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »

Wait for those two to return and then...

"So what do you think Captain? It's probably a trap."

"Certainly sounds like a trap. The question is, do we spring the trap?"

Osirio thinks-if it was him-he would cause some sort of commotion in the area that night, either a murder or a robbery. Then, when the group showed up there would be a handy horde of guards around to accost them...or maybe someone was interested in trying to help them. The area would be well guarded, he was sure. No safer place to meet.

"I think this is a potential not to be ignored, however. I propose Osirio shall go-he will meet at this spot. We must scout the area beforehand, of course...and we must scour the city for any rumors about this Lord, and the place at hand. The rest of you will be some ways away, but ready to help if needed.

Osirio has a cunning plan, of course, do not worry."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:07:51 pm by Dwarmin »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 09, 2014, 01:40:14 pm »

"I could happily spend the day listening and seeking for rumours and tales is something I could do all day, and quite well if i do say so meself, but i wonder if any of you could spare me a few coins to grease some tongues so to speak? And not necessarily me own, i might add..."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 09, 2014, 01:43:56 pm »

"I could happily spend the day listening and seeking for rumours and tales is something I could do all day, and quite well if i do say so meself, but i wonder if any of you could spare me a few coins to grease some tongues so to speak? And not necessarily me own, i might add..."

"Didn't you get your pay?

In any cases, I have a wedding to plan."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 09, 2014, 01:52:15 pm »

"I didn't get my pay? Gods Damn that two faced scoundrel! Blast and feck."

Edit: "Oh right, no, there it is, right in me purse all along. Daft eejit. But a wedding? Poppycock and feckradish, but I see how you's wanting it to be. I'm only partly daft, I be warning you. Let'sme back here at dinner time."

Action: Leave. Bardic knowledge check what I know about a Lord of Aretrian, and another about its rulers and supposed power structures. Then, unless I remember anything that might affect my choice of destination, go to two different inns to Gather Information. If necessary spend up to 5gp at the cheaper one, and 10gp at the posher one, the hope being to get two different points of view.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:28:21 pm by lawastooshort »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 09, 2014, 03:17:34 pm »

Ava had looked quite, quite different in her dress, with her snow-paint scrubbed off and without oversized weaponry in her arms. She had looked almost... normal. Certainly not like someone who could swing a hammer that weighed nearly a third of her body weight.

Even so, it was with a certain amount of relief she had changed back into her scale armour and reapplied the white paint. Being unarmoured made her hackles prickle.

Osirio going alone - no, too dangerous. She'd go with him. If he was captured, she was no subtle thief for a rescue mission anyway, and as the strongest, she was least likely to be captured.

"Vait, Osirio. You going alone is too dangerous. I vill accompany you." She shrugged. "I am no sneak-vief, to scurry in the background. If you vere zlain, I vould have failed."

Wait... wedding? She paused a second. "And vhat is zhis about a vedding?"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 09, 2014, 03:38:26 pm »

Wait... wedding? She paused a second. "And vhat is zhis about a vedding?"

"Oh, well, what better way to deter violence than to have plenty of witnesses? I was thinking of hiring a band. Even better if we establish what is considered an alibi for being there...considering how it might go."

Osirio looked around and saw the inn's room was mostly filled with breakfast hungry patrons.

He jumped on the table dramatically and spoke in a carrying voice.

"Everyone, I have an announcement! Me and my fiancee Ava Snow are finally getting married! And you are all invited to the traditional Northern moonlight wedding tonight on Thalin Street! We'll have free food and music!"
He announced enthusiastically.

He lowered a hand to Ava, grinning.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 52