Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 52

Author Topic: City of Aretrian - IC Thread  (Read 58695 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: City of Aretrian - IC Thread
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2015, 11:16:01 am »

"I just never had the funds to purchase a ranged weapon myself. I di-... Oh right." Culpa hoped the shadows of the cave hid his embarrassed blush as he slid a small, nearly forgotten, piece of leather off his belt and placed a stone inside it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 05, 2015, 11:19:06 am »

"There you go, yeronnor, you'll be right as rain in a week or so, eh?"

Scrabble about on the floor for a throwable stone.

"Well, what's honour and swearing when there's giant bats, eh."

If it's still applicable by the time we come round again: throw a stone at a bat!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 05, 2015, 11:32:48 am »

Osirio danced around some more, dodging bat tails and bat claws and bat jaws. He was wondering why his team was crawling around the ground, looking for rocks at such a perilous time...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 05, 2015, 11:45:52 am »

"I just never had the funds to purchase a ranged weapon myself. I di-... Oh right." Culpa hoped the shadows of the cave hid his embarrassed blush as he slid a small, nearly forgotten, piece of leather off his belt and placed a stone inside it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[Sling 12+5 [DAMAGE: 3+1]] The rock hurls off towards the bat, thudding into the back of it. Doesn't seem to have done so much damage, but it certainly stung. The bat screeches, and turns towards you!
Osirio let his guard down a bit, looking for the right moment to catch a bat off guard with his swinging flail. He wasn't sure how much longer he could dance around until they got lucky and injured him badly.

"Pests. Osirio hate the rats with wings!"

Action: Power attack slam, while fighting defensively
Attack: -2 to-hit, 1d8+4 damage, +2 AC (AC now 15)
27/35 HP

[Flail 20![19-2, Critial Hit!][DAMAGE: 3+4*3] Taking a break from his dodging, though still being careful of getting attacked, Osirio instead pounces at the inattentive bat. His swing hits solidly on the bat's head, breaking through the skull, plunging it into the depths of unconsciousness. If that blow didn't kill it--which it almost certainly did--, the resulting fall definitely finished it off.

The remaining bat seems to have gotten the message. It disengages from Osirio after seeing the brutal death of its three comrades, and instead disappears into the darkness. [150 EXPERIENCE EACH! Those knights certainly suck up a lot of it...]

What follows is a generally slow procession from one side to the other. Osirio dons his armor, now that getting up is easy due to the ladder. The three knights still struggle with it, but after a long string of attempts at climbing, they make their way over. Arias is transported over by a bit of a chain method; one knight stands atop the slab, another on the opposite side of the door, and one on the cavern side. The first helps him climb, before being helped up by the second, which lowers him down to be caught by the third. His wounds deepen a bit throughout this, but they're soon patched with bandages.

This room seems to be a guardroom, with a number of weapons in racks lining the walls. Most are consumed by rust, but a few are in remarkably good shape. Further examination reveals the reason for this; they're magical! Further search reveals two flails, a morningstar that, while a little large, could probably be used by Ari, a dagger, and a rapier, all enchanted with magic [Namely a +1 bonus]. Amazing how things work out like that. Ava, on the other hand, doesn't find an upgrade to her maul. Then again, there's probably little need for one.

The knights take the opportunity to inform you that the three of them will not be going any further into the fortress before Arias is well enough. They have magical balms and poultices to aid with his recovery, but it could still be a while. The five of you can press on further without them, if you'd like. Renais sets about building a fire from some supplies Arias had in his pack, while another takes the wounded aristocrat near the soon-to-be fire, and begins applying a disgusting smelling cream to the wounds.

A look around reveals two obvious doors; one to the north, and one to the east, ignoring the one you came through. The eastern one seems to have been opened recently. There also looks to have once been a door to the west, but the elements must have claimed the supports to it, as it's now a caved in pile of rubble.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:49:35 am by flameboy99 »
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 05, 2015, 11:53:39 am »

"Crikey. That morningstar looks better weighted than mine. Does anyone object if I take? That way I can use the other one to throw at bats, should we happen across any more of the beggars. Anyone else fancy stopping for a little sandwich or something? And talking of little somethings, anyone want that dagger more than me? I hear it whispering, 'ere, Ari, I quite fancy getting in your... pocket."
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:57:33 am by lawastooshort »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 05, 2015, 12:11:42 pm »

"Such puny little vhings are of no use to me, magic or not. Now zhere is zomething better to eat zhan fungus."

Ava had brought both of the more intact bats over with her, and with a few hacks of her brutal knife removed the wings and feet. She began the messy process of skinning them and gutting the carcasses, impaling chunks of meat and setting them to roast.

It wasn't long before the odour of roasted meat - and a touch of burnt hair began to fill the air.

Her arms red to the elbows, Ava took a position leaning against the wall and waited for the meat to cook more. The skins made a bloody pile to her side.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 05, 2015, 12:17:57 pm »

((You know, it's one of those floaty rules left up to the GM, but magic items can resize to their owners. Why penalize the gnome? :P))

"Yes, we should rest a moment-those flying rats took a few chunks from Osirio...as for the weapons, take what you will. We have found a small trove of treasure here...I suspect, the armaments of whatever defenders may remain here. We may have surprised them before they could arm themselves."

He picked up the fancy flail, which was shaped roughly like a giant insect, big surprise. You could tell it was magic just by looking-it was completely clean, with no a single sign of rust or grime. He attached to his back alongside his old flail.

"Such puny little vhings are of no use to me, magic or not. Now zhere is zomething better to eat zhan fungus."

"True, your hammer is already enchanted, is it not? It certainly seems stronger than any normal weapon I've ever seen...oof, you are making a mess, Ava." Osirio said, reaching into his backpack for his cooking tools. "I will show you how to cook flying-rat."

Osirio then began taking out his small jars of exotic hot seasonings.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 05, 2015, 12:25:58 pm »

"Oh? No, zhere is no magic in it."
She raised a threatening eyebrow as he reached for the jars of zeas- seasoning.
"You may zery vell ruin your own. Ozirio, but you vill not touch mine, or you find yourzelf vith bad luck."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 05, 2015, 12:37:15 pm »

"Well, I planned to make it more to your taste this time. I have found new seasonings in the Aretrian markets I wish to try. I promise, it will not upset your delicate northern palate." He said carefully.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 05, 2015, 12:40:20 pm »

"...put it on zome of zhem, zhen. I vill try it."
Idlly, she picked some raw fragment off her blood-coated hands and popped it in her mouth, chewing reflectively on the meat.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 05, 2015, 12:55:31 pm »

Osirio nods, going to work.

First, he makes sure the fire is much hotter-stoking the coals and feeding it more wood. At the same time, he begins two seasonings (one brown, one white) in a small bowl. After a time, he carefully separates the bat meat into strips, coats them in the seasoning, then sets them to cook over a small pan. He turns them over once or twice, turning the meat a dark, golden brown.  He occasionally adds a few things. They are finished in a little less than 7 minutes.

"Ayha. They are done." He says, picking up a piece with a fork and offering it to Ava. "Try it. I promise, I have left the heat out."

The meat is in fact, not really spicy at all. Osirio has simply combined sugar and cinnamon and a few other things to create a sort of delicious caramelized bat-meat bacon. It's a very nice combination of sweet, salty and chewy.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 05, 2015, 01:47:44 pm »

"Captain... What is that?" Culpa asks, coming back from picking up the other Light Flail, glancing at the 'flail' Osiro had procured.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 05, 2015, 01:55:32 pm »

"I believe it is a Drowish crafted flail-my boorish cousins are obsessed with insects. Have no doubt-it is quite lethal, however. It is also quite portable-see?"

Osirio played the chain a bit for Culpa's satisfaction, retracting it in and out of the elaborate hilt without a single click or clank. He wasn't sure quite what mechanism allowed it to spool itself so usefully, but it was no doubt useful when you couldn't afford a chained weapon banging around in the caverns.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 05, 2015, 02:00:13 pm »

"It... What? No. That's... Stupid drow and their stupid flail designs. That better be magical or it's going to snap in the first fight you get into."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 05, 2015, 02:03:04 pm »

"Yes, magic does allow a little ostentation, does it not?

Were you speaking of something else?"
Osirio said patiently. Culpa seemed a bit distracted.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 52