Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Put the Crime Back in Crime Squad (Brainstorm)  (Read 3029 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Put the Crime Back in Crime Squad (Brainstorm)
« on: October 12, 2014, 02:56:39 pm »

Pretty much this...

There is NO reason to be the Liberal "Crime" Squad anymore...

Give reasons.

Make the shoot em up an effective Liberal Bomb...

Cause I realize no one wants to part with the slow, safe, and easy pacifism route. No one wants it to be anything BUT slow, easy, and safe (They don't want Thought Police to attack you for running a newspaper for example, because that might force you to shoot one of them which ruins the entire point of the pacifist route) so it will remain immutable.

So make the opposite fast and effective. Much more so then it currently is, so weaken the "ignore effect" from repeat liberal action and just give a cap for a single action.

Illegal activities like dealing drugs could make more money and affect drug laws so balance it out compared to sewing (which is currently a money bomb).

Put more "Incriminating evidence" in more locations and possibly link it to Liberal versus Conservative rating. So the police station at C+ might have a tape featuring police brutality.

Give News reporter sleepers a sort of "Report" action that acts as a multiplier for crime actions in a similar way that lawyers work (so if you have enough sleeper News reporters your crime sprees will always be that much more effective)... As well, if you have incriminating evidence, perhaps they could air it instead of your newspaper.

Possibly some sleepers could act as heat reduction for violent crime. When doing this they shouldn't provide Liberal change mind you.

Make peaceful actions less effective when you do violent action as well (Rather than Violent Actions decreasing Violent Effectiveness). So if you do a "crime" while running a newspaper that newspaper should be less effective. a Mixed approach is more about knowing when to stop taking violent actions and letting your heat die and supplementing your down time with peaceful actions.

I'll keep thinking of effective solutions... hmmm...

---

At least I assume that the point of the game isn't a parody that the Liberal "Crime" Squad is just delusional and if they just tried to change the world with civil action rather then crime they could have succeeded.

Also I put this here so I can stop annoying people XD
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 07:16:03 pm by Neonivek »

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Put the Crime Back in Crime Squad (Brainstorm)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 10:58:19 pm »

Actually, I think the problem is of a different nature.

Compared to other Roguelikes, Liberal Crime Squad is, in a word, easy. It's very forgiving - in most Roguelikes, a single simple mistake can cost you your game, and there are precious few safeguards to protect you from such unlikely but still very lethal mistakes. In LCS, you can have backup founders or even keep your founder out of danger entirely and rely on highly-skilled recruits. Players quickly master the game of Liberal Crime Squad and now, they want a challenge.

Hence, they invent more difficult methods of winning the game. Pacifist mode. Liberal Not-crime Squad mode. Talk about making the Stalinist Comerade Squad a genuine threat that requires careful planning to defeat, unlike the CCS which you can simply overwhelm and never have to face directly. And so on.

I can think of a wide variety of ways to make Liberal Crime Squad more difficult, and plan to implement some of them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 11:13:42 pm »

Pacifist mode is rather easy anyway and people are against any idea that makes it harder.

While Non-Pacifist non-Crime mode people would fully be up for it being tougher. It just needs to pay out more.

Neon Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 05:16:21 am »

Talk about making the Stalinist Comerade Squad a genuine threat that requires careful planning to defeat, unlike the CCS which you can simply overwhelm and never have to face directly.

Just make the CCS stronger. There is no reason for it to be as easily beaten or circumvented as it currently is. The stalin squad is pure feature creep, and shouldn't have any kind of significance.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:49:29 am »

On the topic of drugs making more money, how about having a sort of bonus when you deal drugs at the crackhouse?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 06:09:10 pm »

I've done a couple of pacifist runs, but not with the CCS active.  I don't know exactly what alerts them to my safe houses, but I had to train combat skills just to survive and eventually fight back.  Which seems to be the intended scenario.  I've heard about the alternate way of defeating them, but they don't just sit there and wait.

Unless these easy pacifist runs are avoiding hitting the news and thus launching the CCS, which...  I guess is possible, but boring.  Site actions can be fun and useful without violence.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 07:50:34 pm »

I've done a couple of pacifist runs, but not with the CCS active.  I don't know exactly what alerts them to my safe houses, but I had to train combat skills just to survive and eventually fight back.  Which seems to be the intended scenario.  I've heard about the alternate way of defeating them, but they don't just sit there and wait.

Unless these easy pacifist runs are avoiding hitting the news and thus launching the CCS, which...  I guess is possible, but boring.  Site actions can be fun and useful without violence.

I believe when you become strong enough/have enough influence activates them.

SlatersQuest

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 09:13:42 pm »

What activates them is public opinion (I know this because I've coded extensively).

When public opinion (average across all views) reaches 60%, the CCS will enter the state CCS_APPEARS, wherein the CCS will appear but won't conduct terrorist operations. You can still encounter them, though, and they can raid you, just not the rest of the world. They can only attack you if your safehouse either (1) has heat, or (2) has both compound walls and a printing press, however; low-profile safehouses are immune.

At 80%, this upgrades to CCS_ATTACKS, whereby the CCS will start conducting terrorist attacks. They also become better equipped, and more common in the world.

At 90%, this upgrades to CCS_SIEGES, at which point any LCS safehouse becomes at risk from a CCS siege, even safehouses with no heat, no walls, and no printing press. They will also become even more heavily armed and common.

Killing a CCS base leader and capturing the boss' safehouse will knock the CCS back one step, but they will recover after one month. If you somehow manage to take public opinion from less than 60% to more than 90% in less than a month, it will still take three months for the CCS to reach the CCS_SIEGES stage, as it can only move up one step at a time, and only at the beginning of a new month.

There is effectively no way to win the game without waking up the CCS short of disabling the CCS at the beginning of the game (this sets the CCS state to CCS_DEFEATED, which is the same state you get if either you or the FBI captures the last CCS safehouse). The List of CCS Backers cannot be acquired while the CCS status is still inactive.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 11:28:54 pm »

We already had someone who won the game without ever leaving the starting safe house.