Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Seeking FPS wisdom  (Read 2613 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seeking FPS wisdom
« on: October 12, 2014, 12:36:34 pm »

I managed to get a thriving fort going in a reanimating, husk-infested biome.  Go me.

However, the punishment of the gods falls heavily on me.  The caverns are full of formerly-living, now undead creatures.  My FPS is down to 9.  I have a pretty beefy machine, and have never in all my forts gotten the FPS below 20.  This is officially stupid.

I am trying to trap and kill the undead as quickly as possible (not very) using a lava chute - I don't even begrudge the cages I am throwing away.  Even with them dying, though, the FPS doesn't seem to recover.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking FPS wisdom
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 12:42:07 pm »

Atom smashers.

They are a proven effective method of removing items and creatures from their associated vector tables, and thus reducing the overhead memory access penalties that DF is prone to.

Just lure the undead into the smasherator corridor using delicious kitten flesh dropped from above.

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 02:09:25 pm »

How many creatures have you got roaming about? Any fliers?
I regularly lose 40 FPS when a raven shows up on my map. The more fliers, the more FPS loss. A full group of about 10 will cause upwards of 100-150 FPS drop.
You can also use dfhack to try to fix the issue. "exterminate creatureName" will kill off all of that type. Not sure what the name of a zombie animal would be, though.
If you're not willing to cheese it for the FPS, you can also just do some standard stuff like clean all to clear up contaminated tiles and blood spatterings. I've rarely had that help, though.
Autodump can be used to destroy several thousand items or debris that you don't want to watch your dwarves haul for 2 seasons and 20 fps.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 02:35:01 pm »

I will try to struggle through to build atom smashers... it will take a while at this low speed.

I have about 52 undead on the map at the moment; most in the caverns.  I also have a running battle between a living giant bat and a troglodyte corpse that has been going on grudge-match style for easily 2 years.

It's weird, too, because not EVERY corpse reanimates.  Some do, though, and usually at the most inopportune moments (yes, yak skin, I'm looking at you).
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 03:32:34 pm »

If you use DFHack and haven't already: clean map

I've found that if I haven't run it in a few years, running it can earn me up to 15 or so FPS.

Quantum stockpiling also helps quite a bit.  I know it's an exploit, but it has extreme processing efficiency benefits, especially if you have a huge number of items.  In an old for where I converted everything to quantum stockpiles, I went from 10 to 35 FPS.  (That was back in 34.11 where heat calculations were far more punishing.  The benefits in 40.xx are probably a lot less).

Make sure any entrance to your fort that isn't being used it blocked off with a bridge.  This reduces some pathing issues.

Wall off any cavern layer that you aren't using.  Again, this removes some pathing strain.

Similarly, wall off any mining operations after you're done collecting ore.  Same reason as above.

Put any idels non-grazing pets and animals in cages (cats should probably be exempt for their vermin reducing prowess).

Any breeding non-grazing animals should be restricted to a 1x1 room with pasture zone behind a forbidden door.  Unforbid the door to collect offspring.

Disable flying in all creatures.  Flyers really kill the FPS with their pathing shenanigans.  Removing the flyer tag from everything can help substantially.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:37:19 pm by Tacomagic »

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 04:14:47 pm »

It's just the way 40.xx runs.  It has major optimization problems right now.

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 04:22:04 pm »

It's weird, too, because not EVERY corpse reanimates.  Some do, though, and usually at the most inopportune moments (yes, yak skin, I'm looking at you).

This is due to pulping. I was in a similar situation, and what kept it from getting COMPLETELY out of hand was that the scary zombie cave dwellers were really good at exploding the heads of the newcomers that kept wandering through.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 04:37:18 pm »

Hmm.. My sad laptop was able to do about 9fps with 85 undead and 80 dwarves.. Right now the undead are gone and I'm up to 155 dwarves at about 10fps, though, so if that same siege of 80+ undead shows up I'll be in FPS hell til they leave..

Is assigning a single-tile stockpile and using dfhack's autodump to put relevant items onto that stockpile the same as quantum stockpiling?? And how can you lock breeder/grazers into a small room like that without them dehydrating or starving? I've got animals that regularly dehydrate in my Great Hall even with plenty of water in the same room..

I also have a minotaur that's been repeatedly climbing a tree at the edge of the map to beat on the same emu for around three years now.. He's using a leather mitten to beat the emu, though, and its not enough to kill it. I've been waiting on the minotaur to go Legendary in climbing and mitten-beating, but the emu still lives..:

I hope to capture and tame him someday :>

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 04:52:51 pm »

Is assigning a single-tile stockpile and using dfhack's autodump to put relevant items onto that stockpile the same as quantum stockpiling??
Yes.  I prefer to automate it with minecart piles, but dumping is indeed the same kind of thing.

And how can you lock breeder/grazers into a small room like that without them dehydrating or starving? I've got animals that regularly dehydrate in my Great Hall even with plenty of water in the same room..

To quote myself with emphasis:
Any breeding non-grazing animals should be restricted to a 1x1 room

I specifically exempted grazers because they work much differently than other animals.  Don't do this with grazers, just with animals that don't need food/drink (Dogs, bears, dingos, etc).

This strategy won't work with mods that require all animals to be fed, but for vanilla, you can still lock non-grazing animals away in perpetuity.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 04:54:12 pm »

Had no idea some animal types didn't need resources :O Going to have to familiarize myself with which, now.. Thanks!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 04:56:18 pm »

Had no idea some animal types didn't need resources :O Going to have to familiarize myself with which, now.. Thanks!

Generally speaking, if it's something that eats meat, it doesn't need to be fed or watered.  This typically includes omnivores as well (pigs, for instance).

Further, most fowl do not need any food/water (I think the Elk Bird is the only exception to this).

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 12:51:00 am »

For reference, exterminate undead is the command to fix that issue. I had something like 150 roaming around, no new births, no migrants, fps dropped from 180 to 50 at best, killing them brought me back up to 80 or so.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 02:18:41 am »

However, THAT method leaves the creature's data in the creature vector, which still complicates memory access times for the structure.

Atom smashing them has been PROVEN to REMOVE them not only as an in-game annoyance, but to literally DELETE their entry in the creature vector table.

Kohaku and pals did extensive testing on this in .34.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 06:20:17 am »

Yeah, but it can be difficult to move everything to an atom smasher in some situations.

If nothing else you could exterminate them then autodump the bodies into a smasher.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 07:42:08 am »

I finally had to give up.  The lag was so bad it took more than 45 minutes just to build the first bridge and the first undead to wander in pathed right past it before it could be closed because of Urist McLazyAss.  By that point I was at 7 FPS and I just couldn't any more.

Pages: [1] 2