Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Paper Bolt Action Spring Powered Sniper Rifle WIP  (Read 2552 times)

PkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • DJ ACE
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
Paper Bolt Action Spring Powered Sniper Rifle WIP
« on: October 12, 2014, 09:58:23 am »

I'm deciding to try and create a paper bolt action spring powered sniper rifle. I have no idea how, but i can try I guess. Anyone know any sources with sniper rifle designs (im talking simple here, one bullet at a time kind of stuff entered straight into the barrel, pull back, fire). Also anyone know a optimal spring to use, and how i may go about acquiring it. We are looking at say 10mm bullets here or something. Got no idea how this is going to turn out but I may give it a go.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Paper Bolt Action Spring Powered Sniper Rifle WIP
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 03:26:45 pm »

...Actually firing boolits or are we going to end up with a sniper frame pellet gun?

The actual innards of a gun are simple. A hammer to strike the primer and a long barrel to channel the force of the explosion to accelerate the bullet down the length.

A top-loading bolt action is probably the most simple loading and firing mechanism to use, have the bolt shuck the casing and open up enough room to insert the full round into the firing chamber while priming the spring-loaded hammer.

The trigger should release the spring to fire the hammer at the primer which strike the primer with enough force to ignite the small charge to ignite the actual powder in the round, firing the bullet down the barrel.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 08:23:07 pm »

Umm
If you're firing real bullets, would paper even hold up?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

PkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • DJ ACE
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:38:42 am »

Bullets, but as its a paper gun I am considering paper bullets since its going to be pretty hard for me to get hold of actual bullets since I'm underage (than again that's why we've got friends right?:P). Paper bullets would probably have to get lead inside them and a streamlined shape, basically like a normal bullet, no idea about the primer though but I found some youtuber who makes fire-able paper gun models so I'm investigating that. Might go with BB's if I give up with bullets.

Also I'm considering what sniper rifle model should I make a replica of. I'm considering making a model of the Arctic Warfare Magnum (AWP in counter-strike) since I'm a big fan of the counterstrike series.

If anyone has anymore suggestions feel free to add to the topic :D

Edit: The plans for a gun are going to be a pain in the arse to find, so i might not use the actual same bullet type etc

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:57:39 am »

Let me get this straight.. Your original intention is to make a bolt-action rifle, out of paper, that can fire actual bullets..?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 12:16:41 pm »

Let me get this straight.. Your original intention is to make a bolt-action rifle, out of paper, that can fire actual bullets..?

McGyver would be proud if he'd make it work.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 12:23:04 pm »

Even if you could make it function mechanically at all, let alone without falling apart, unless you were McGyver had some kind of specially treated superpaper when the hammer (also made out of paper?! SOMEHOW?!!) struck the round and set it off, the whole thing would explode and burst into flames! There's a reason we make our deathtubes out of metal!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 12:31:00 pm »

Even if you could make it function mechanically at all, let alone without falling apart, unless you were McGyver had some kind of specially treated superpaper when the hammer (also made out of paper?! SOMEHOW?!!) struck the round and set it off, the whole thing would explode and burst into flames! There's a reason we make our deathtubes out of metal!

It sure could work if you used it to scare people off though, assuming you also gave it a half-decent paintjob.
I mean nobody's gonna fall for a gun that not only is made of paper but also looks like paper, right?

But yeah, paper guns are not really a thing for a reason.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 12:43:45 pm »

Hey that's a plus! No one ever expects murder by paper firearm! Even if someone shot me with a paper gun I still don't think I'd be able to take them seriously.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 01:58:30 pm »

And now I realize what forum I am on...

Bay 12 - we don't just weaponize paper as a cutting weapon. We make firearms with it.

PkGamer

• Bay Watcher
  • DJ ACE
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 02:55:47 pm »

Paper with enormous amounts of resin glue would work right? And still be paper :D

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 06:35:30 pm »

Solid enough paper-mache *might* be able to stand up for something like a potato cannon.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 10:29:48 pm »

OP said spring powered, so I can only imagine more of a crossbow/sprung assembly.

And we have to make the clear distinction between 'bullets' and 'cartridges'. The former is just the lead projectile, and hell, I could fire one of those with my bare hands. Cartridges are the bullet + propellant + igniter + case, and would put a hole in said hand.

OP, go for it. I've made similar things in the past, and it was fun as hell. Remember, use lots of primitive rolled paper shapes instead of flat paneling, and also, google the 'mythbusters paper crossbow' video.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 10:33:21 pm »

Paper with enormous amounts of resin glue would work right? And still be paper :D

http://www.maglin.com/hdpc.html

This stuff is the shit. I built a few heavy industrial robotics chassis with it, simply because we had it lying around.

Also, they make a material stronger than Kevlar out of treated cellulose fibers... not really paper but close enough.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:35:17 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 10:24:56 am »

Why are the world's soldiers not coated in cellulose.
Pages: [1] 2