Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding hybrids  (Read 796 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Modding hybrids
« on: October 11, 2014, 08:06:30 pm »

Ignoring the part where I determine which attributes should come from which race, what hybrids to make, etc; how do I mod in hybrid races/mostly unrelated species to the same CREATURE entry? I know you have to use castes, but I'd prefer to do the smallest number of modifications to the base creature. The reason I'm hesistant is that I'm not just adding or removing individual parts; each critter will have different bodily dimensions, different MAXAGEs, etc. Do I have to go all the way to defining the creature over and over in each individual caste?

A working example would be nice.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding hybrids
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 08:18:48 pm »

Both BODY_SIZE and MAXAGE are caste level tokens (which http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token will tell you also for whichever other tokens you might be wondering about).  You can overwrite only the caste level attributes you care about and they'll inherit all the creature-level and all the unchanged caste-level tokens from the general creature.  You can look at ologs and snaga in MDF orc fortress, which are part-breed trollish and goblinish orcs.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 08:49:17 pm »

So, if I had dwarves, and defined a caste with a different body detail plan (say three arms, for whatever reason) and different length/broadness/body size. Would that overwrite the previous definitions, or give the "fractal limbs" effect?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 09:23:06 pm »

oh, no, you're right.... BODY is a complicated exception, because of the fractal limbs effect.  If you're going to have different BODY's then do them each at the caste level.  I think the example below (cf. equite and myrmadon castes) will work properly but no guarantees, i haven't used it for a long time

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:25:12 pm by smakemupagus »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:06:42 pm »

Note that the YESHARDERINVADER stuff is for the Masterwork GUI and does not actually have an effect in-game.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 11:20:26 pm »

Yep, good point thanks Putnam :)

The "Battlecry" interaction (Masterwork) and "Hide Effect" (... Dwarf Chocolate?)  spell are non-Vanilla too if I'm not mistaken. 

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 04:39:52 pm »

Hide is in Vanilla, I think.

Pretty sure you can just remove the body tag from the creature level and just define different bodies for each caste individually.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 02:02:07 am »

Hide is in Vanilla, I think.

It isn't; MATERIAL_EMISSION_WITH_HIDE_EFFECT is, but a naked HIDE isn't.