Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centering on dwarf/event bug? (solved)  (Read 2656 times)

sztosz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Centering on dwarf/event bug? (solved)
« on: October 10, 2014, 04:35:07 pm »

SOLVED: it's a bug in "Text Will Be Text" plugin, confirmed by @mifki. It is not Vanilla Dwarf Fortress bug.

ORIGINAL POST:

Hi, i didn't find or maybe didn't know how to formulate query for this.

I have two monitors, i play on bigger one 1920x1200. When i hit 'z' to center on dwarf, or event from Announcement my screen is not centered on the dwarf/etc but instead far to the left somewhere under "menu bar". Moving "cursor" to left then right (up/down etc) by using arrow keys, fix it, and screen is corectly centered on event/dwarf.

How can I make centering work?

PS. If it's relevant to the problem: I use newest DF Starter Pack (Lazy Newb describes me correctly ;) ), TT fonts: OFF, Spacefox_16x16
PPS. I had so much FUN already, great game :)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:39:08 am by sztosz »

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Centering on dwarf/event bug?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 05:01:47 pm »

Not sure, I have (2) monitors as well (arranged vertically on the desk), and I play with DF maximized on the lower one in window mode.  I never have any issues with 40.13.

But the lower monitor is my "primary" in the Windows 7 setup.

sztosz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 05:04:47 pm »

On second 1920x1080 monitor there is the same problem. I use Windows 8.1 and the bigger is my "second" monitor recognized by Windows.

Tomorrow i'll check on my laptop.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 02:20:52 am »

I might be addressing the wrong question, but for me the events are never centered, but rather appear at the right edge of the area (playing in a window on a single screen PC). My method for locating the event is to move the cursor up and down until I can finally see where it is moving, going back to the announcement and from then to the event if I move the cursor too much.

sztosz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 02:30:31 am »

That is exactly what the problem is. I tried on my laptop, same problem. So i think it has nothing to do with two monitor setup. Centering is not centering as it should.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 04:04:13 am »

That is exactly what the problem is. I tried on my laptop, same problem. So i think it has nothing to do with two monitor setup. Centering is not centering as it should.

Well, it's not really a problem, persay.. I think what Patrik is saying is that "zooming" to an announcement is not necessarily going to center it. It brings you to the general area and then the cursor is laid overtop the event tile. You shift the cursor side-to-side to see where the event is or was located at the time. I've never done any differently, either.

If I had to guess, I would say its like that because map sizes can vary and you can't go beyond the map to center over an event near a map edge. Perhaps this is something for the suggestion board, but I can't say I have much issue with it myself.  :-\

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:20:04 am by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:26:21 am »

It's a problem in twbt plugin. I hope to fix it soon.

And yes, I sort of feel sorry that people are posting problems caused by twbt in general boards so that it looks like bugs in DF.

sztosz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Centering on dwarf/event bug? (solved)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 11:43:20 am »

Thank you for explanation. I love game and all the plugins people made, so all i can do is thank you for contributing to this great game. It's not game breaking bug, it does not make game more "fun", so i only added some info in first post. Maybe some other poor soul like me will find this post instead of creating new one ;)

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
Re: Centering on dwarf/event bug? (solved)
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 01:22:19 pm »

It's a problem in twbt plugin. I hope to fix it soon.

I am somewhat baffled by this. Zooming to announcements has never been centered for me, for around six years at least. I just ran a fort from a year back to double check this and I can confirm the announcement brings you to a general area and the event itself could be anywhere on the screen, the cursor being the only indicator of where the event was.

So, we must be speaking of two different concepts here. I'm sorry if we've been dealing with the wrong issue.  ???

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?