Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire Emblem DF Discussion  (Read 826 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Fire Emblem DF Discussion
« on: October 10, 2014, 02:54:25 pm »

Having been simultaneously gone from the modding board for almost a year or two and now very interested in Fire Emblem, I've decided to take a stab at modding again. As you can see from above, the aim of this is to get various features from the Fire Emblem games into DF. Most elements thus far will be taken from Awakening, although some things from the Tellius and Archanea games will be present.

The mod itself doesn't exist apart from an unfinished file involving manaketes being converted from an older unreleased mod of mine- I've made this thread to see if anyone has any ideas what I should be placing in game later on when I can actually work on the mod.

So, list of currently brainstormed features:
  • Manaketes- currently considered as a new race with completely new civ. Dragonstones would be unworkable in this situation, hence why they will have dragon forms inherent to them. To compensate, the interaction will wear off after a set period of time and be weaker than a true dragon or wyvern.
  • Taguel or Laguz- same to above. Taguel and Laguz would potentially be different from each other and dragon Laguz removed due to the presence of Manaketes.
  • Fortress Mode Classes: One could build a building focusing on training, say, Assassins and skills would be manifested as interactions, i.e Lethality being a close-range on-touch interaction that instantly kills the target, or Pavise being a self-targeted interaction that renders the user temporarily resistant to every weapon in the game.
  • Adventure Mode Classes: Races starting off with above classes and having an 'experience' system allowing them to gain 'experience' over time via COMBAT_HARDNESS and learning skills.
  • Legendary Weapons: Not sure if weapons have interactions attached to them yet, although I'm wondering if it would be workable to create a special 'metal' to craft, say, the Falchion out of to make dragons weak to it.
  • Civilizations: Instead of dwarves, goblins, elves, most of the civilizations would be changed to the ones from the series, although I'm debating whether to use generic expies or actual civilizations, and if so from what world.
  • Tomes: Currently, there are two ways of handling this: Either have them generated during world production or have forts capable of producing 'tomes' that temporarily grant their reader a certain spell and make them have to re-read one every so often.
  • Wyverns/Pegasi: Common animals depending on civilization. Potentially might have to omit Pegasus Knights and other rider classes as there is nothing short of creating a 'horse' organ for the newly-classed person to provide them with a 'mount'.
  • Reclassing: A building could produce Second Seals and other stuff to allow a person to change class to learn new skills.
  • Promotion: Same as above, only with related promotional items.
So, any ideas guys? What have I missed? Should I implement other things, omit things, implement things differently?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem DF Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 03:56:20 pm »

Well, I can say that I'm pretty sure all of that is possible, mostly without any need of DFhack. As for making weapons like the Falchion being effective against dragons, it'd possible to make certain creatures weak to items made of certain materials so you could definitely make weapons that are extra effective against certain creatures as long as they're made of a specific metal. For the adventure mod classes I'm pretty sure they would work just fine as a result of the fortress mode classes. The fortress mode classes would probably be rare castes with workshops that have transformation effects, and as an adventurer you can choose to play as any caste of a given creature from that civilization so simply having it there could work. Overall it seems like it would be pretty good.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 02:05:13 am »

Class promotion can't happen with raws alone due to the way syndromes don't stack.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 02:13:40 am »

That's irritating. I'd thought that some transformations could be linked to COMBAT_HARDNESS level.

I'll have to invoke DFhack wizardry to simulate class promotions, won't I?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 02:15:03 am »

You can still do it with COMBAT_HARDNESS, but be warned that that particular system goes through way too quickly in adventure mode.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 02:23:15 am »

Is there any way to reset COMBAT_HARDNESS, then, to simulate XP bars growing full and gaining levels?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 02:25:28 am »

DFHack or super-crazy off-the-wall interaction business that you'll have to ask IndigoFenix about.