Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which raw file do I edit?  (Read 1095 times)

Froggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which raw file do I edit?
« on: October 10, 2014, 06:34:15 am »

I'm aware this is probably covered elsewhere but i could only find topics about when to generate a new world. if I want to add new raws that will be in my games then do I edit the DF>raw>objects files or the DF>data>save>region>objects files. I want the added stuff to be in all of my subsequent games.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Which raw file do I edit?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:13:45 am »

First, when updating a games raw files, add the edited raws to DF>data>save>region>objects files, then if you want the new raws to appear in every game copy the new raws and paste in DF>raw>objects.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

Froggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:14:42 am »

Will it work if i just put them in the overall raws first?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:42:49 am »

Whatever you stuff in the stem raws will not affect your current saved games.

Each saved game has its own separate set of raws it copied during world generation. Changing them will not affect any new worlds.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 03:59:09 pm »

Not everything can be changed in existing worlds, and some things can result in crashes, but most things will work. The main thing you can't change is the entity files. There is an exception though in the case of adding new reactions to a civilization. You can't add the new reactions directly, but there's no limit to how much you can change old reactions the civ already had.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia