Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Square Tiles?  (Read 2138 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Square Tiles?
« on: July 17, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »

How do I make the tiles square in the game?  The visual difference between the height and width of each tile is very confusing!

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Square Tiles?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »

Install a custom tileset that is actually square. You need to reset the game's resolution to match as well.

Try mine! The 12x12 is better, but the 16x16 is good too.

Work is slowing down so I can finish revamping the 16x16 finally.

And just cause I am narcissistic, here's a sample of the 12x12:

Arcanum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 11:38:00 pm »

Unfortunately I think you're stuck with either nonsquare tiles or a squished-seeming gameplay window.  At least until and unless Toady changes things so that the game isn't limited to an 80 tile by 25 tile game window.

It's possible I've missed something completely, though.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 11:39:00 pm »

I love the end result, herrbdog... I really like it. However, I tried every possible setting on my computer, and at best it always end up blurry and unplayable. I absolutly hate anti-aliasing in games, and it looks like it:

As you can understand, I'd rather play with the basic fonts than with something so ugly. However, after looking at your screenshots... I must be missing something for sure...
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Genuine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 01:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>
As you can understand, I'd rather play with the basic fonts than with something so ugly. However, after looking at your screenshots... I must be missing something for sure...</STRONG>

You're playing the game at full screen settings which is stretching everything. It needs to be in windowed version. I don't remember the settings offhand, but they're in the thread Herrbdog posted in the General forum.

Edit: Settings in the init file that I use for windowed mode:

[WINDOWEDX:1280]
[WINDOWEDY:400]
[FONT:herrb_16_16.bmp]

[ July 18, 2007: Message edited by: Genuine ]

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 07:03:00 am »

You don't particularly need to change the font to a custom one either. Here's my section of the init.txt.
code:

This is the size and font for windowed mode.  Changing to 800x600 and the 800x600 font might make you happier.

[WINDOWEDX:800]

[WINDOWEDY:300]

[FONT:curses_800x600.bmp]

And yes, that is awfully squished. I can live with that if it makes squares square though.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 07:29:00 am »

1280x400 is the 16x16 correct resolution.
960x300 is the 12x12 correct resolution.
You don't have to play it in a window, you can play fullscreen on a resolution bigger than the "correct" resolution and just enable blackspace.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 10:25:00 am »

I really love playing it fullscreen on my 20" monitor.  I don't care if the tiles are stretched, so long as they aren't squished.  I really prefer the original text rather than images.  Can I run it windowed but set the resolution to 1680x1050?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 10:49:00 am »

Hear ye, hear ye, I am now making my own square font which will look like the original text but square and NOT squished like the other ones I tried did.  I'll upload it to the wiki when I'm done.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 11:13:00 am »

Well, I don't want to play in a window, I want to play fullscreen... I guess I'd have to create my own font if I want something good then...  :(

It would be nice if the Wiki mentionned that the tilesets displayed there must be used in windows, for I can't say I've seen that information anywhere...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

Finished!  I'll upload this to the wiki right after I finish this post.

Here's what it looks like with my font:

Unfortunately Photobucket shrunk it a little, but you get the idea.

[ July 18, 2007: Message edited by: Sappho ]

[ July 18, 2007: Message edited by: Sappho ]

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire:
<STRONG>Well, I don't want to play in a window, I want to play fullscreen... I guess I'd have to create my own font if I want something good then...   :(

It would be nice if the Wiki mentionned that the tilesets displayed there must be used in windows, for I can't say I've seen that information anywhere...</STRONG>

Since I'm going to help you, you are going to forgive me for being an ass:
Not surprising that you think you've missed important information, because apparently you missed You don't have to play it in a window, you can play fullscreen on a resolution bigger than the "correct" resolution and just enable blackspace.
Its right up there, under the previous Slartibartfast
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 05:27:00 pm »

You are forgiven.    ;)

However, I'm not sure this is helping, for the screenchot I posted was with the blackspace already enabled in my init.txt...

Doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Edit: hey wait, looks like you did point me in the right direction afterall... There appear to be a very big difference between normal letters and capitilized letters in the flag... Now it shows me something like this:

However, with the black spaces up and down, it's pretty much the same thing than playing in a window... Which mean that I'm not really interested. I'll test a few other screen resolution before calling it a day tough. I'll get back on you after these few messages. :P

Edit2: Nope... Not helping.

[ July 18, 2007: Message edited by: Eagle of Fire ]

[ July 18, 2007: Message edited by: Eagle of Fire ]

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

Yeah, the init flags are case-sensitive.

And I'd strongly recommend just getting used to playing it in a window. It leaves room for the wiki, too.

insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 08:20:00 pm »

I spent so much time working in DOS when I was young, I actually like ascii graphics... For me, it's way sharper than most "modern" "3D" graphics you can find all over the place now...

Anyways... If you can tell me that there's a way to fit the window to screenwide, I might consider it...

Pages: [1] 2