Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Didn't know snatchers were just plain evil  (Read 1855 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Didn't know snatchers were just plain evil
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:25:47 pm »

This happened in 0.34.11.

So I just got the announcement that a snatcher had been spotted...at the same time that I got the announcement of a death. The greenskin had brained a baby while it was still in its mother's arms. I thought the goal was to capture them, not slaughter them...

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Edit: And oh god, my FPS just tanked...50% of what it used to be. What the heck is up?

Edit 2: Sealed off fortress for fear of ambushes, and FPS improved somewhat.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Didn't know snatchers were just plain evil
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:51:14 pm »

Probably was trying to attack the mother or whoever spotted it, but brained the baby instead.

Also, the FPS drop is definetly coming from an ambush somewhere, and the snatchers are the first sign of one.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 11:01:23 pm »

Well, glad I got my dwarves inside, then! I'll post archers on the roof...even with full steel, my I think my military is too green (and small; I have freakishly few with melee skills) to take them.

I don't know why I haven't had a situation quite like this before...also didn't know melee combat moves could miss and hit unintended targets.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 05:44:09 am »

Throw a kitten outside, otherwise the ambushes won't be spotted and will hang around for quite a while.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:13:53 am »

In .34, i'm pretty sure an un-routed goblin ambush will hang around for a full season, spotted or not.

Snatchers are technically independent from ambushes that might occur, but both are the goblins' "civ activity" which by default enters the map between the fifth and twentieth of the last month of a season, so fps drops when snatchers have been spotted are a very good sign of ambushes, yes.

Re: braining the baby - unfriendly units may lash at each other (sort of a panic reflex) when getting within one square; the snatcher felt disturbed by the mother of the child and tried to stab her, but her bearded shield deflected the attack. I'm not totally certain but think that snatchers happening upon an isolated child without being spotted will just grab and bag it without further violence.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:18:00 am by Larix »

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 08:38:07 am »

I had this happen early last year, actually.  Had a mother with babe in arms fend off a goblin who'd come to take the baby.  when the kid grew up, I went to see what kind of skills she had, and I saw "Legendary crutch walker".  Huh?  So I looked at her profile and it said her leg was missing.  I put two and two together and realized that the gobbo had sliced off her little baby leg while trying to snatch her.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 09:30:50 am »

I had wondered if the baby was trying to fight back (in which case it would have had a memorial hall dedicated to it), but the combat reports showed only the goblin attacking the kid. No provocation noted by any party - although I didn't specifically check for any recent reports from the mother.

Anyway, he was quickly brought to dwarven justice, but I guess I should move all my workshops, fields, etc., inside for now...build out a curtain wall later.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 10:56:49 pm »

Snatchers arent too smart.

Ive had snatchers stab my babehs in the heart before bagging them. They bleed out an instant later and then the snatcher is just carrying a corpse in a bloody bag all the way out
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.