Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So, technological advancement?  (Read 1729 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: So, technological advancement?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »

Seems totally possible to me. Maybe even to a minor extent with just raws alone!

Off the top of my head, you could pretty easily make "researching" reactions that have very low probabilities of giving you something representing an advancement and have to succeed several times in a row. Or perhaps more realistically, a low chance of a more advance thing coming out of normal jobs, which you can use to open up already-included-but-previously-inaccessible workshops and reactions as far along as you want. All with just Raws. At some point it will start seeming a little bit silly that you're still doing hand-farming, etc. But even so, you could easily represent a technology tree all the way from like, late stone age, to maybe renaissance no problem.

And if you're willing to use dfhack scripts, then you can do a lot more like this, including simple passage of time etc. as a prerequisite, and fairly custom invasion setups and things.

Would be a huge amount of work though.
"No, not some research system, but simply having the tech level of a world change with time."
So, not actually that easy.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 04:33:43 pm »

What? No I'm still talking about a tech tree. But simply catalysts being generated after a certain amount of time, for instance, instead of by research reactions.

That's not hard at all with dfhack. I generate items out of thin air all the time.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 06:56:14 pm »

Admittedly, if all civs would separately do research, that might open up some interesting dynamics. Such as the badly organized goblins ending up stuck with swords against dwarves with mechs.

Or vice versa, if the silly dorfs were too busy ticking off the elves.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:56:04 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com
Pages: 1 [2]