Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Prince's Retinue  (Read 6372 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
The Prince's Retinue
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:20:58 pm »

It's been over a year since the Orcs and Goblin men came. They came from the island chain of Mordath lead by the Great Warrior King Osgoth the Humiliator. They landed thousands of ships with pike wielders, axe users, berserkers, Crossbows, and they're dreaded Necro-Shamans. They're numbers are disputed but some say that the beaches those days were a tide of Green, Greys, and bloody red from the fighting.

They laid siege to many coastal towns and pillaged surrounding lands. They used men, women, and children as slaves to do domestic works and killed mercilessly for breaking down due to exhaustion. One day, according to legend, Prince Raynor deemed enough was enough and ordered a counter attack that saved the capital and re-took our lands. Some say it was too late however, almost half the kingdom was dead and our resources were dwindling due to over work by the slave drivers. King Lorin, Prince Raynors father, was getting too old at the age of 52 and many speculated he was too close to death. His Crown would pass on to Prince Raynor but many had doubt in there hearts that the young prince could keep the country together and defend us from a second invasion. A second invasion which everyone knew would come but no one knew when.

The Kingdom Of Asgard is at it's most critical hour but man's nature is still the same. Other Human warlords now look greedily at this opportune moment to seize lands they covet. Elves Remain uncaring and seem to only care about empowering their minds and own defenses. An the Dwarves still refuse to leave the Mountain home for fear of the outside world.

Asgard needs heroes and Heroines and here i stand at the Gates of Lorin War College. It use to be only for nobles who would send there sons to become Generals but by order of the Prince and blessing of his father has it been opened up to older warriors like me. After passing the Basic Examinations i am now able to pick to be:

A) An Officer in the Fragmented Army of Asgard. The Army was always medium sized but its efficiency are still stories of legends. Now It needs to be stopped from disintegration to banditry or starting a coup by the ambitious puppet nobles and corrupting warlords. The King and Prince Alike are very worried about the future of the army.

B) An Officer in the mostly sunk Asgardian Navy. The Pride of Asgard was it's Grand Navy who use to sail the world in less than 3 days. But the Orcs, an there dreaded Necro-Shamans broke our Navy time and time again. Old failed admirals seeking to hold there positions are actively sabotaging newer officers. The Prince has stated before that he wants to Re-Invent the Navy but political capital is hard to come by.

C) A Member of the Black Rangers. These are the men and women who assassinated many captains of Osgoth's Army. With less leadership the orcs and goblins lost morale when heavier forces fell on them. They are still very intact and are loyal to the prince. Many nobles respect and fear there power though and no one is sure what there goals really are...except the guiding hand.

D) Apprentice ship in the Order of Phoenix. A magical order newly minted by the Prince's edict. The stated mission is to create a counter to the Necro-Shamans black magic and unbalance the battlefield in Asgard's Favor. Phoenix mages work alongside other mages and the army but they don't have any rank structure and there is no real leader yet, which is why the Prince himself is the "Grand Master" as of now but rumor has it he doesn't teach classes rather delegating to other mages.

Character Sheet will have a..

Name:
Background: (It must at LEAST have what the character did before the invasion. (No vengeance story needed since no human likes or tolerates orcs at all.)
Social Class: Commoner or Noble. You can even be a Dukes son.
Choice: What did you study after being accepted into the college?

((Also I'll still be working on my necromancer SG alongside this so please don't be discouraged from playing both.))
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 03:34:11 pm by 3man75 »

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
Re: The Prince's Retinue
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 02:10:06 am »

Name: Torant Roscius
Background: Torant was a Master's mate aboard the Pioneer, a ship of Asgard's Exploration Fleet, which was sent to far-off lands in search of glory, and as such was away from Asgard when the invasion first struck and one of the only ships to survive through the war. With many officers dead, Torant was picked by his captain to go to the War College.
Social Class: Commoner, from a long line of fishermen and traders, "seawater in the veins" types, Torant would be the first to actually hold the command of an officer.
Choice: Grand Navy officer, wouldn't you know. The look on Grandfather's face when I told him!
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 05:03:29 am »

Can't believe I missed this.

Name: Filel Respit
Background: Filel didn't really have great prospects at home what with being the third some of a minor baron, so he instead enlisted in the army in the hopes that he could actually do something meaningful in his life. Worst case scenario is he gets killed by some corrupt assholes that outrank him, but being in the army isn't very conducive to one's health anyway.
Social class: Noble; third son of a minor baron
Choice: Army of Asgard Officer of course.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 05:09:12 am »

is this a SG or how many are you going to admit?

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:53:13 am »

This is a suggestion game. I'll keep on waiting for a few more hours before i pick one.

EDIT: Also thanks for the suggestions, i thought i did something wrong in delivering this game.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:01:10 am by 3man75 »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 10:28:56 am »

Background: Torant was a Master's mate aboard the Pioneer, a ship of Asgard's Exploration Fleet, which was sent to far-off lands in search of glory, and as such was away from Asgard when the invasion first struck and one of the only ships to survive through the war. With many officers dead, Torant was picked by his captain to go to the War College.
Social Class: Commoner, from a long line of fishermen and traders, "seawater in the veins" types, Torant would be the first to actually hold the command of an officer.
Choice: Grand Navy officer, wouldn't you know. The look on Grandfather's face when I told him!
+1

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 01:46:31 pm »

You are Torant Roscius, An by god do you sea water in running along your veins. It's a great blessing you were out on a voyage during the Great Orc Invasion. You left a country at peace, prosperity, and bliss. Now it's full of fear, frustration, and almost anarchy. The one person who seems who can salvage this wreck is someone even younger than you, not a good sign. What is a good sign is that this prince has guts, competence, and vision. Also of importance is the fact that your the first in your family to have served in the Grand Navy as an officer, quite the step considering you were literally just a cabin boy for the last few years.

After the first few months of traiing you learn more about the facts of what happened and hear more stories of bravery and downfall. You also Note that your fellow collegiates of the Navy are camping up on two sides. One seems to be led by those wishing to stick with the old ways of the Grand Navy, Claiming that it's defeat was done so by poor discipline and ignorance by captains. A second camp, Led by the son of a Count no less, claims that new naval doctrines must be used in order to defeat the orcish navy and it's Necro-Shaman's.

You try to stay out of it but you feel you simply must make some kind of decision.

A) Join up with the Traditional Navy. It'll make you less of a traget by the Admirality and it's other old guard. The Reformers will however, call you a brown noser and not like you very much.

B) Join up with the Reformers. You'll have political coverage from the count's son and you could be a possible pioneer for the navy. The Orc's will never be able to anticipate a new doctrine right?

C) Stay neutral. You'll be less of a target in everyone's eyes but no one will trust you very much. Plus the Admiralty may consider you a possible threat in the future..or the fanatical reformers may have you beaten up after class. At least you can be your own person right?

D) Unified. By far the hardest thing to do. There's simply no telling if people are willing to compromise or make deals with a third party in charge of debates. If done, there will definitely be more unity in the navy and everyone will see you as something more than some young sea dog. Or you may be hated by everyone for playing both sides.

Another thing to consider is what kind of officer will you be. The courses everyone learns are basically the same but one has to pick a specialized route. The one's available are as follows:

1. Marine officer - Defending the ship from boarders and boarding the enemies ship. Easilly the most dangerous job but the one most admired. No one dares stop a marine from doing the Nation proud.

2. Course officer - Helps plot the course of the ship and keeps track of where the ship is and it's next destination is.

3. Sea Mage - These are the men and women that are first to fight and first to be killed in ship to ship combat. There magic can drown ships and kill off crews quickly if left to there own devices. When not suing magic in combat they help winds go through sails to make ships go faster and help with firing non-magical projectiles like giant cross bows at enemy ships. During the invasion, many sea mages were killed off by the Orc shamans and it's led to rivalry between them. Most Mages don't even care about doctrine debates and simply want to rip apart the shamans for earlier defeats.

4. Quartermaster - Keeping discipline is important but hard work. Push to hard and the crew mutinies, relax too much and they run the ship and then mutiny. The Admiralty are known to have a deep distrust of Quartermasters pinning the blame on them for the defeat of the Navy. Anyone in this profession is never liked but always respected.

EDIT: ((Also, if anyone has any suggestions on what they'd like to see or suggestions on how to improve my writing experiences then please shoot. If you do so however, i only ask you do it in double parenthesis. Helps me visualize :)))
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:40:01 pm by 3man75 »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 02:02:43 pm »

Unified Marine! If everyone doesn't get along we'll kick their butts!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 04:46:42 pm »

+1
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 01:09:54 am »

+1
+1
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 01:17:14 am »

Take a closer look at this text!

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 11:55:08 am »

No way jose are you going to be having your fellow crewman or your fellow cadre tearing each other apart. During a huge discussion at the Galley, The count's son who's name is Rudolph and another cadet argue over the origins of Navy. Such a pointless argument really, but you decide this is the best time if any to intervene.

(you roll a 2 out of 5...)

Rudolph not only continues to argue with the unknown cadet from the other side but tells you that this is none of your business.

((I'm going to call it a quick end here. Consider this a roleplay section where you can either walk away, try again (may cause larger escalations), or give some classic stone cold steve austin ass whoopings.

Also for the second option i'll be using two D-10 rolls to decide what happens.))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 12:21:27 pm »

*eye twitch*

German suplex the unknown cadet.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:43:01 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 12:23:37 pm »

*eye twitch*

German suplex the cadet.

((would that be rudolf the one who told you it's none of your business? Or the unknown cadet?

Wanna be sure who.))
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 12:25:51 pm by 3man75 »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 12:43:24 pm »

The nameless one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4