Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can caravans exit the map from underground?  (Read 1109 times)

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can caravans exit the map from underground?
« on: October 09, 2014, 02:33:05 pm »

I'm trying to get prepared for the sieges to come.  I believe the DF wiki said that caravans can exit the map from an underground tunnel if the tunnel touches one of the map borders? 

So, if a caravan gets trapped in my fortress when a siege comes... all I need to do is have a large underground tunnel built for the caravan wagons? That leads to a map border/edge?  It doesn't matter if the tunnel is completely underground?

Playing version 0.34

Thanks!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Can caravans exit the map from underground?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 02:36:32 pm »

I'm trying to get prepared for the sieges to come.  I believe the DF wiki said that caravans can exit the map from an underground tunnel if the tunnel touches one of the map borders? 

So, if a caravan gets trapped in my fortress when a siege comes... all I need to do is have a large underground tunnel built for the caravan wagons? That leads to a map border/edge?  It doesn't matter if the tunnel is completely underground?

Playing version 0.34

Thanks!
They can.  The trick is getting them too and not getting them killed in the process.  Do note that you cannot personally destroy the wall at the edge of the map, so it has to be a natural exit.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »

Do note that you cannot personally destroy the wall at the edge of the map, so it has to be a natural exit.

Well that kind of ruins my plans...

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 07:10:24 pm »

It just means they have to exit through the Caverns, which has been demonstrated to be possible for Diplomats.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 07:37:36 pm »

I've heard (but have never personally confirmed) that it is also possible to let the caravan leave through the air: build a ramp up out of your fortress, build floors up to within bridge range of the map edge, build a bridge to the map edge...

Of course, since the climbing update you'd have to not only put walls around that opening, but put something that stops climbers around that opening. The extreme option, of course, would be to enclose the entire exit as a tunnel. With careful use of raising bridges, the whole artificial in-air tunnel could extend to the map edge, I think.

The advantage of this over building an enclosed path to the map edge on the ground would, I think, be preventing enemies from spawning at the very exit that you're trying to reserve. Again, however, I don't know for a fact that no enemies of any type can spawn on above-ground midair map edge tiles, not even ones with a bridge as floor.

I guess that either calls for !!science!! or... perhaps the more mundane... somebody less lazy than I searching the forums for !!science!! that's already been done.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.