Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Realistic Military FPS  (Read 3383 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic Military FPS
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 01:09:30 pm »

Modern infantry doesn't go prone.
This statement is just so ridiculous.
Okay, it was a little bit exaggerated, but have you seen the video I linked?
._.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 01:12:53 pm »

From what I saw, they had alot of cover most of the time.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 01:24:36 pm »

I would suggest arma(as allready has been done) or Red Orchestra. Its getting sorta old, but when playing on realistic you gotta know what you are doing.
I have played some Red Orchestra once before at a friend's house. It was quite an intense experience. I might try it at another time, when I have a bit more disposable income. Is Red Orchestra 2 better or should I stick to the original?

Also, let's not convert this thread into a discussion of modern infantry tactics. I'm sure there's plenty of that elsewhere.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 01:25:36 pm »

Most of the terrain you'll find in ArmA is open ground. Hills, plains, in some cases mountains, and lots of forests depending the location. Towns, cities and other built-up areas are there too, but they're pretty small, and you've got a lot of open area with very little cover you have to go through before you can get from one of those to the other. Most infantry engagements are going to start with at least one side having to go prone to have any real chance of not getting singled out and shot.

As for RO2, it's pretty damn good, from my limited experience. I certainly have a lot of friends who play it far more eagerly than I do.
Nothing important here, move along.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 01:26:00 pm »

I actually meant red orchestra two, ahwell. Yah, its a good one, I would say even better than arma2, atleast with its tanks.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 02:15:07 pm »

RO2 is good but it's meant to be a multiplayer game. The singleplayer bots are a bit lacking, but it can still be pretty fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 02:20:57 pm »

I just play it multiplayer.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2014, 02:45:39 pm »

If you're into MP, I'd go for ARMA3 and RO2. I think a lot of the larger organised communities are moving over to ARMA2 from ARMA2.

For RO2 what you'd get is Rising Storm, which is Japanese vs US, and vanilla RO2 gets you Germans vs Russians. They're all pretty solid, though not as open as RO1 or the ARMA series.

For a smaller scale, but pretty realistic infantry fighting, I'd have a look at Insurgency.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2014, 03:00:23 pm »

It'd be nice if it were not too multiplayer-centric.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2014, 03:15:41 pm »

This is actually not realistic, as the modern infantrymen do not usually go prone in modern combat.

As an infantryman trained in 2010s, going prone was trained extensively. Admittedly my training was very forest-centric, urban warfare portions had a lot less going prone.

edit:
can't really offer anything on-topic. SWAT and R6 series, but those are pretty old and well known if you're into this kind of stuff in the first place.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 03:16:58 pm »

The ArmA series is definitely good for singleplayer. ArmA 2 and ArmA 3 both have a wide variety of user-created missions, scenarios, and mods, and I'm pretty sure even Armed Assault (ArmA1) did, too, though it's horrifically old. ArmA 3 has the slight advantage of working with Steam's Workshop to make finding and downloading a lot of the content easier, and if you really prefer the content from ArmA 2 they made it so you could port it over... although that takes a bit of effort.

Even if you don't feel like downloading extra stuff, the singleplayer campaigns and missions the games come with are decent to good.
Nothing important here, move along.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 03:40:11 pm »

I watched the first five minutes. Of course you're not going to march in the prone, that's just ridiculous. It looks like they're moving into an urban area so it figures that they're standing up. Modern soldiers do in fact do fight from a prone position quite often.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of situations in which you might want to be in the prone position.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 03:51:36 pm »

Not quite an FPS, but an overhead view squad management game with great modern small unit tactics and urban CQB:

Full Spectrum Warrior and it's sequel Ten Hammers

The original was sponsored by the US Army, was supposed to be a training tool.  There is some hype and controversy over that, but the game is a respectable game.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 04:47:12 pm »

Oh, I forgot about the official US army thingie, they are currently running one in beta, but it is full multiplayer, so...
But it is free on (winces)Steam, so...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 04:50:16 pm »

I watched the first five minutes. Of course you're not going to march in the prone, that's just ridiculous. It looks like they're moving into an urban area so it figures that they're standing up. Modern soldiers do in fact do fight from a prone position quite often.

Believe it or not, there are plenty of situations in which you might want to be in the prone position.
Yeah, like I said later, only when you're faced with a complete lack of cover you go prone. Like in the desert.
._.
Pages: 1 [2] 3