Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death by garbage dump  (Read 1481 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Death by garbage dump
« on: October 09, 2014, 09:28:24 am »

So I was trying out a 'no bag' farming scheme. The intention being to avoid the hauling conflict problems that plague the current version. Simple idea:

Level 1. Workshops
Level 2. Farm/kitchen/still
Level 3. Residential

Empty barrels and seeds are dropped from level 1 to level 2.
Dwarven wine, prepared meals, pigtail plants and quarry plants are dropped from level 2 to level 3.
I used burrows to divide dwarves between the 'general' area and the 'farm' area.

It was actually working quite well with three dwarves permanently on farming duty and 18 in total. Then disaster struck.

Now, most of you are probably thinking 'stupid dwarf hit by multiple barrels while standing under the drop zone'. And you're sort of right. But the dwarf was only in the drop zone because he had fallen through the garbage chute. :( Was he just clumsy? Did the dwarf behind him accidentally push him forwards? I don't know. :/
()==[:::::::::::::>

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Death by garbage dump
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:10:20 am »

It was a suicide, the only answer. And what better way to die than from booze barrels
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 10:12:11 am »

It was a suicide, the only answer. And what better way to die than from booze barrels
The victim was the husband of one of the other farmers. I think it was divorce, Armok style. "With this barrel, I thee dead." :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:44:09 am »

I'm interested in no-bag farming. How do you prevent dwarves storing seed in bag?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 02:53:15 am »

The workarounds posted on the wiki are fine:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Farming#Bugs

Your method just gives me a headache
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:17:27 pm by grody311 »

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 04:05:49 am »

Old issue. In fact, so old, I wondered if we had a Ń wandering around, like we did once before.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 04:02:33 pm »

I've run into some bugs with pathing that I think are still live - ought to have reported them but I wanted to play with them more ... never did, sorry.  There's one where I build a three-wide staircase in the middle of the spiral ramp in the reclaim fort and the dorfs set to dump things walk out into the empty space and fall.  Another involved building a trade depot access route through the space where a tree had been and for some reason every dorf ordered to build a certain floor just walked right over the edge.  But I didn't reproduce them when copying the immediate geometry, so I'm not quite sure...