Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29

Author Topic: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2023]  (Read 27764 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2020]
« Reply #255 on: October 13, 2014, 04:41:56 pm »

Theres a reason why they dont have guns unless they have sealed ports

I only listened to like have a conversation. After I went to class there was like five new pages, and I don't have enough time to read them all.

It isn't like it is that hard. The F-22 just uses what is pretty much a door, if I am reading it right. If we can get a stealth aircraft off the ground, we at least have the technology to make something as simple as that.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 13, 2014, 04:43:41 pm »

Theres a reason why they dont have guns unless they have sealed ports, and if you have that then you are ingnoring the "hey, bomb bays weak" argument.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 13, 2014, 04:45:16 pm »

Theres a reason why they dont have guns unless they have sealed ports

I only listened to like have a conversation. After I went to class there was like five new pages, and I don't have enough time to read them all.

It isn't like it is that hard. The F-22 just uses what is pretty much a door, if I am reading it right. If we can get a stealth aircraft off the ground, we at least have the technology to make something as simple as that.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 13, 2014, 04:46:03 pm »

Far smaller than a bomb bay at the very least, thus a far smaller chance of detection. And Gunin, the use of the bay door makes the craft vulnerable to detection which happens to be a problem in this case.

Also, given the effectiveness of APS systems, I wouldn't say missiles are good at taking tanks down as well
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 13, 2014, 04:48:02 pm »

and if you have that then you are ingnoring the "hey, bomb bays weak" argument.

Far smaller than a bomb bay at the very least, thus a far smaller chance of detection. And Gunin, the use of the bay door makes the craft vulnerable to detection which happens to be a problem in this case.
For the exact amount of time that it takes to drop it. So about 10 seconds.

Also, given the effectiveness of APS systems, I wouldn't say missiles are good at taking tanks down as well
Most tanks dont have those.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #260 on: October 13, 2014, 04:56:04 pm »

We should just use tanks to shoot down all the fighters and strategic bombers flying tens of thousands of feet in the air dropping bombs on us, because that makes more sense than this current argument about missiles.

We can blow up all the missiles they fire at us, but they still have autocannons to fire at us and bombs they could drop on us.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 13, 2014, 04:57:06 pm »

Well, just because most tanks don't have an APS system, doesn't mean we shouldn't change that.

And 10 seconds is long enough of a window regarding such a large surface area for radar to bounce off of.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 13, 2014, 05:03:13 pm »

IMO, we do need missiles in order to effectively engage in surface-to-air combat or air-to-air combat. I'm not entirely sure we have the capability to develop a perfectly stealthy fighter or interceptor, and we almost certainly don't have the capacity to field very many even if we could build them. Engaging enemy fighters BVR with our own fighters is what we should strive for, and we can do that currently with our F16s. They may be old, but they can still mount AMRAAM missiles. As for surface-to-air, AAA can't really hit fighters, and neither can MANPADS so we need effective SAM systems. If we don't develop or import these now, we'll regret it later.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 13, 2014, 05:10:46 pm »

Yeah, we need some kind of effective SAM systems. Any S-300 equivalents floating around in the international market?
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #264 on: October 13, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »

This whole missile argument stems from concerns about cost, but at the same time we're trying to develop a railgun and drone tech, from scratch..

Personally I think missiles are worth it, I agree with GentlemanRaptor that it's crazy to think we can fight modern jet aircraft, vehicles that move hundreds of miles an hour and fly thousands of feet in the air, with anti-aircraft artillery.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:18:54 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 13, 2014, 08:30:14 pm »

Honestly, I'm just waiting for the next turn.   :P
Unless I missed it somewhere.  Wouldn't be surprised.  I agree with needing a missile, but I'd first go for HE/AP cannons for SP-ART then create a dedicated missile launcher, because I'd rather have artillery than missiles.  That may be just another part of me being so outdated and stuck in my WW2/WW1 interwar era military knowledge (useful against guerrillas!).  Also, do we need to design a logistics vehicle?  Or shall we let the civies deal with that? 

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 13, 2014, 08:32:15 pm »

I'd say we could use one actually. Means we can give it some protection from IEDs and mines.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 13, 2014, 08:44:49 pm »

What are everyone's thoughts on importing SAMs this year and then designing our own at a later date? Might toss up a Proposal Beta for the vote if everyone isn't completely against it, and having an air defense in place in case of surprise attacks will be beneficial.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 13, 2014, 08:46:13 pm »

Sounds good, but you never know with this lot :P

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 13, 2014, 08:50:23 pm »

What are everyone's thoughts on importing SAMs this year and then designing our own at a later date? Might toss up a Proposal Beta for the vote if everyone isn't completely against it, and having an air defense in place in case of surprise attacks will be beneficial.
Yeah, definitely. +1.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29