Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29

Author Topic: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2023]  (Read 27754 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SG] Imperial Military Design Bureau [Year: 2020]
« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2014, 02:49:09 pm »

Unfortunately, a bomb bay (Like the one that Gunin so helpfully linked an image of) tends to be a rather glaring weakpoint. The fact that the only recordd downing of a stealth craft was due to opening such a bay is also far from convincing that such a thing is a good idea.

And Asea, the 14.5x114mm round we'd be using has about 20% more velicity, and about double the kinetic energy. I'm sure it'll work just fine against helicopters.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2014, 02:58:50 pm »

Unfortunately, a bomb bay (Like the one that Gunin so helpfully linked an image of) tends to be a rather glaring weakpoint. The fact that the only recorded downing of a stealth craft was due to opening such a bay is also far from convincing that such a thing is a good idea.
Better than shoving them under the wings where its completely obvious.
And Asea, the 14.5x114mm round we'd be using has about 20% more velicity, and about double the kinetic energy. I'm sure it'll work just fine against helicopters.
You willing to risk the nation on that? And again, can two bumkins from the boonies carry one about and use it with next to no training?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2014, 03:18:01 pm »

Given that most SAM systems are mounted on trucks, and tend to be far larger than what most infantry can carry the lack of a MANPAD. And furthermore, I highly doubt a two-person missile weapon would do much to a ship at all.

And my intention wasn't to mount any weapons on an external hardpoint, nor to use a vulnerable bay that could certainly be used against the craft. If you can figure a way to mount missiles without using either of those, then I'll accede to mounting them on such a craft.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2014, 03:30:08 pm »

Given that most SAM systems are mounted on trucks, and tend to be far larger than what most infantry can carry the lack of a MANPAD. And furthermore, I highly doubt a two-person missile weapon would do much to a ship at all.
Igla. Stinger. Redeye. Javelin. Milan. TOW. Three of those are mounted on vehicles and are designed as manpads, Two more are made to be able to be setup in the field by two people and are on vehicles. Plus, ships these days have less than half a foot of armor, excepting brownwater boats.

And my intention wasn't to mount any weapons on an external hardpoint, nor to use a vulnerable bay that could certainly be used against the craft. If you can figure a way to mount missiles without using either of those, then I'll accede to mounting them on such a craft.
In that case, tell me where you can put a gun on a stealth aircraft that (without sealing the gunport) willnot give the thing away.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 13, 2014, 03:56:31 pm »

And guys, what about biological weapons? That's a cheap n' easy deterrent, right there.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 13, 2014, 03:59:49 pm »

I'm all for man deployable missile systems.

Their ability to wreck almost anyones day is a must in a modern military. Also who says we have to build missiles that cost millions.
We can build Air to Air micro-missiles that will overpower ECM systems.
We ca build wire guided SACLOS anti-tank missiles that are 'old tech' enough to be cheap but still are reliable in their ability to hit things.
We can build TV guided Air vs Ground missiles and superheavy 'smart-bombs'.

All we need is effective warhead designs to go with the cheapo missiles!

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 13, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »

And guys, what about biological weapons? That's a cheap n' easy deterrent, right there.

Thats opening a can of worms. If we will try to use them then soon enough they will be used against us...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 13, 2014, 04:08:23 pm »

Plus we would need to spend money making one that we can use then send troops in after without them dieing...
And spreading them via missile or bomb is nigh-impossible...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 13, 2014, 04:24:28 pm »

So are nuclear weapons Sheb. But like nukes, nobody tends to enjoy having someone else with them :P

As for mounting guns on a stealth craft, very easily. You need to inset it far back enough that the barrel doesn't protrude from the body. Once you have that you're good to go really.

And Akku, I'm pretty sure that developing those kinds of missiles, and building them, would take up significant amount of resources.The airframe of the missile isn't the most expensive component.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 13, 2014, 04:27:42 pm »

So what? Everyone hates us already.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:29 pm »

Considering we don't have a noticeable medical facility, biobombs would probably do just as much harm to us as our enemies. Especially since we are all in driving distance of each other.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 13, 2014, 04:29:50 pm »

As for mounting guns on a stealth craft, very easily. You need to inset it far back enough that the barrel doesn't protrude from the body. Once you have that you're good to go really.
Nope! That leaves a hole, which allows radar to go in, bounce about and go right back to the receivers. Unless the inside of the gun is made out of radar-absorbing materials then it will go back out, and you cant give gun barrels crazy angles to bounce it into areas where there is no receiver.
Congrats, you just blew up a several million dollar aircraft. Theres a reason why they dont have guns unless they have sealed ports, and if you have that then you are ingnoring the "hey, bomb bays weak" argument.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #252 on: October 13, 2014, 04:32:00 pm »

^^This.

Given that most SAM systems are mounted on trucks, and tend to be far larger than what most infantry can carry the lack of a MANPAD.

And furthermore, I highly doubt a two-person missile weapon would do much to a ship at all.

A SAM is any missile fired from the ground. An air defense is layered, you need different sizes of SAMs. Smaller ones like MANPADS (similar sized missiles of which are also found mounted on vehicles) are for taking out operational aircraft, like ATG aircraft and helicopter gunships. You need larger ones to threaten fighters, strategic bombers and reconnaissance craft. All of this is REALLY IMPORTANT, you can't just ignore aircraft and rely on anti-payload weaponry! They don't just shoot missiles!

Of course not! Man portable missiles aren't supposed to be used on ships! >_> They're for killing tanks, fighters and helis! :v Much larger, water-skimming missiles are used to destroy naval vessels, and those are fielded by jets and combat ships.

Uh, how exactly do you plan to mount a weapon on an aircraft without storing it within or outside it? That's impossible. And aircraft are so fragile in the first place that a bay door is not a significant weakness. Mostly stealth fighters use them. Their primary defense is their speed and stealth, which is why they use the bay door, because an external payload breaks the profile of the fighter and ruins the .

We have F-16s anyways, their payload is stored on the outside, I don't understand where stealth fighters enter into this.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 13, 2014, 04:35:24 pm »

Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor have guns. And they are a stealht fighter. So it is possible.

But not at all practical at the moment. Shouldn't we focus on our 100k strong infantry, instead of our near non-existent air force?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 13, 2014, 04:37:18 pm »

Theres a reason why they dont have guns unless they have sealed ports
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29