Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunters won't hunt?  (Read 870 times)

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunters won't hunt?
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:53 pm »

So, ever since I activated some military squads to respond to an ambush attack... none of the hunters I put in the squads have went out hunting.

I've tried disabling and enabling their hunter labor, both manually in-game and through dwarf therapist.  I've done this a few times and it hasn't helped.  When I disable the hunter labor, the hunters will drop their quiver/bolts where they stand and when I enable the hunter labor, they pick the quiver/bolts back up and then do nothing else. They idle and have no job.  Some of them have crossbows equipped and some don't.

I've tried removing one of the hunters from the military squad they were in to see if that's the problem but he still just idles and does nothing. 

The hunters will do hauling if I enable it.  I haven't tried other jobs yet.

There are creatures to hunt outside my fort.  There's no barrow restrictions enabled. There's a clear path outside my fort that milkers and shearers have been using regularly.  The ammo and weapon stockpiles are accessible and not forbidden.

Edit: I have plenty of extra crossbows and bolts

I'm not sure what the problem is but according to my logs it started after the ambush was defeated. No one has hunted since then.  All squads have been inactive since the ambush.

I don't know what I'm missing here but I'd sure like to solve this problem so my marksdwarves/hunters can continue their marksdwarf training through hunting.

Playing version 0.34

Any advice?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:40:49 pm by paladin225 »

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters won't hunt?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 09:39:08 pm »

The military might have all the available ammo asigned to them for war purp5 - if there is no ammo assigned to hunters,they will not hunt.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

paladin225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunters won't hunt?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 02:14:52 pm »

The military might have all the available ammo asigned to them for war purp5 - if there is no ammo assigned to hunters,they will not hunt.

Thanks!  Yeah I think that was the problem.  I deleted the ammo assigned to the military and the hunters started hunting again.