Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia #50: The Big One: Mafia Victory!  (Read 41534 times)

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia #50: The Big One: D2: Dawn of the Majora's Mask Reference
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2014, 08:03:25 pm »

*too hard
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2014, 08:13:51 pm »

Salsacookies: Active lurker, though "simple newb" is sometimes tough to distinguish from scumminess.

Active lurking is when someone makes lots of posts with little content, like popping up to make jokes or poke at something someone did while not actually contributing to the finding of scum. It's trying to appear like you're here and active when you're not. There's a list of common scumtells in the OP, if you want to look at that.

Why would you try to be confusing?

There are also a few questions posed by the others that you need to answer, though I'm assuming that you haven't finished reading through what's happened as you answered a dead guy's question.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2014, 08:48:00 pm »

I just didn't want to be pegged down as anything, and felt I had to vote people, thugh I wasn't suspicious about anybody. I also read through all the messages, and I'm not sure what I missed.

Scripten: How long does it usually take for someone to learn how to Mafia well?
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2014, 09:03:44 pm »

Great... welp, there went what I thought was the scumteam. Of course, that kind of makes this easier, since I'm starting fresh. Let's see...

Salsacookies: I notice that you voted GA here. Do you find it an interesting coincidence that he died in the night?

Get to the less scummy of you later.
Salsacookies, quit fucking around. Mafia is serious business. Who do you suspect and why?
There actually weren't as many questions posed to you as I thought there were, but I have another for you.

Who do you think is most likely to be town and why? Even if you don't find anybody scummy, which in itself is slightly suspicious, surely you must think someone is more likely to be town than another.

I'd also like to know your thoughts on people voting for you, and their reasons for doing so.

Finally, you don't need to vote for anybody. If you don't find anyone suspicious, choose one person at random and read carefully what they say and do. You may pick up some scumtells that way.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2014, 09:16:14 pm »

Scripten: Yes I do find it coincidental. I meant to unvote him, and by saying I'd unvote him, I though I did.

Jim Groovester: No one so far. I haven't seen anything to peak my alarm so far on guilt.

Worldmaster27: I believe Cptn. to be town, I don't think he'd be replace with a scum guy.

With people voting against me, I feel like I could have done better at not looking so suspicious. I know what I was doing would not work on a regular game, and I'm happy to know what not to do to not be suspected next time.
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2014, 09:16:30 pm »

*thought
Yep, the sig is here
I am a Christian

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2014, 09:39:49 pm »

It's kind of a long term investment. And nobody is really good at Mafia. You learn the ropes, the mechanics, and once you become familiar enough with the game to think you're doing well, you discover that you're absolutely terrible at the game. :D

Also, don't give up, especially(exclusively) if you're town. Remember that, even if you are lynched, you still win with your team if they win. So, if you are town, do everything you can to maximize the town winning, even if it gets you lynched or night killed in the process. (Consider being NK'd a massive compliment from the scumteam.)

Worldmaster: Pretty much the same as Jim said. If I'm scum, I'm lying. Big shocker there. If I'm town, then I'm telling the truth.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2014, 09:59:14 pm »

Salsacookies:

Also, I tried to hard being confusing to not look like scum,

Why did you think that this would make you not look like scum?

Worldmaster27: What would you consider to be a scum, vs. a simple newb or an active lurker?

Why aren't you questioning what anyone is doing? This question is useless as anything other than a beginning-of-game icebreaker - it doesn't actually get something useful from the person that you are asking. It also falls under the catagory of active lurking - a post that doesn't contribute to the game other than to say "I'm here!".

A few games.

Scripten: Yes I do find it coincidental. I meant to unvote him, and by saying I'd unvote him, I though I did.

Jim Groovester: No one so far. I haven't seen anything to peak my alarm so far on guilt.

Worldmaster27: I believe Cptn. to be town, I don't think he'd be replace with a scum guy.

Why only two reads? Also, you have odd reasoning for Cptn not being scum - a replaced person could be scum just as easily as anyone else.

With people voting against me, I feel like I could have done better at not looking so suspicious. I know what I was doing would not work on a regular game, and I'm happy to know what not to do to not be suspected next time.

This is why it's a Beginner's Mafia - you have a chance to learn without people getting annoyed at you for it.

Jim Groovester:

Who do you think is scummy?

So who do you think is scummy?

Kilojoule Proton, why are you advocating the lynch of the person voting you for no other reason than that he is voting for you? Also, there's that townclaim there that really doesn't make you seem like you're town at all.

You voted Kilojoule Proton here. What was your reasoning against him, in total?

1. See reads.

2. Along with what people have already mentioned so far, he claimed a power role in a way that made me think that he was fakeclaiming to stay alive. The tipping line was him claiming that he was town and that people should go after other people instead (I can find the post if you want).

Everyone: Please post your full reads, whenever you're able. These are important, and don't be afraid of having different opinions than the consensus.

Scripten:

GayArchaea: Why are you voting 4maskwolf instead of KP? I am finding it telling that you aren't really trying to figure out who scum is, just trying to push a lynch on someone convenient.

(Btw, you only have to vote for someone once to have it count.)

This is odd. It looks like you were trying to pressure someone into lynching the same person you wanted lynched.

Reads:
    Illgeo: Slight scum lean for low activity/lurking. We need you to play!
    Salsacookies: Scum lean for stated reasons (bad reasoning and active lurking, mostly). It's mixed with inexperience-related mistakes, though, so my vote may change depending on how he answers my questions.
    GayArchaea: Dead. Town.
    Kilojoule Proton: Dead. Town and jailkeeper. (Jim, I voted for him for reasons similar to those of other people - he was acting scummy and met a bunch of scumtells.
    Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum: Slight town lean. His predecessor was a lurker, but that seems to have been for reasons unrelated to the game, so I won't count that. He has done some scumhunting.
    Worldmaster27: Town lean because he is active and doing some scumhunting. Question for you: Does the fact that KP was scummy because he was inexperienced alter your reads of other people?
    Scripten: Slight scum lean. Not that active, but still doing some stuff to get the game going. However, there's also the post I noted that makes him seem slightly scummy.
    TheDarkStar: I happen to be able to confirm him as town  ;D.
    Jim Groovester: Neutral read for now. His activity is normal for his playstyle. See my notes on Cptn for the irrelevancy of his predecessor's lurking.

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2014, 10:00:29 pm »

One note: By it takes a few games to learn Mafia, I mean a few games so you know the basic ideas. It takes a lot longer to be able to use those well; even I (and presumably Jim) am still learning to do that.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2014, 10:35:16 pm »

Well, you need to put unvotes in red, same as a vote.

Also, I tried to hard being confusing to not look like scum, and I was trying to be amusing, because I didn't take it seriously. Next time I play this, I will try to not incriminate myself and act like a clown.
This is known as
RIA - Refuge in Audacity, acting really crazy or really scummy to make people think that you couldn't possibly be scum because of how crazy you are. This never works. Neither does sarcasm in general, really. If you want to be sarcastic, make it painfully obvious you are being sarcastic, with <sarcasm>fake sarcasm tags</sarcasm>. Even still, it's not a good idea, because Mafia is SERIOUS BUSINESS
This is the main reason I voted you, that and lurking.
Why haven't you posted your full reads yet?

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2014, 10:45:03 pm »

Scripten:

GayArchaea: Why are you voting 4maskwolf instead of KP? I am finding it telling that you aren't really trying to figure out who scum is, just trying to push a lynch on someone convenient.

(Btw, you only have to vote for someone once to have it count.)

This is odd. It looks like you were trying to pressure someone into lynching the same person you wanted lynched.

And? I was fairly sure KP was scum and didn't want to risk a no lynch. Neither did you. I also had a sneaking (incorrect) suspicion that he and GA were scumbuddies and I was attempting to get a read on their associative relations.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2014, 11:05:28 pm »

Btw, TheDarkStar, if you have a scum read on me, why has every vote you've made since RVS sheeped mine?

Unvote Salsacookies
Vote Illgeo

Illgeo knows how to win as scum in a newbie game. He's done it before and he's playing just as placidly as before.

And on an unrelated note, (IE my first newbie game, not my second :P ) knowing when to claim as a cop is super important. If you are about to be lynched (within an hour or three of deadline, or, if there's a hammer, at L-1) claim your role and any results you got overnight. It can mean the difference between a win and a loss, even if you are personally out of the game no matter what. Do this especially if you have caught scum.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2014, 12:54:19 am »

Everyone: I didn't know active lurking was a thing, could you explain it to me?

Traditional lurking is simply not posting. Contrasted with it is active lurking, which is posting with the intent of appearing active but otherwise making little or no scumhunting efforts.

Scumhunting is the most important thing to do and the most important thing to see from another player.

Scumhunting scumhunting scumhunting.

Scumhunting.

*too hard

Correcting your spelling by making a new post is honestly a lot more distracting than the actual typos themselves.

Not having reads is not a good thing.

What will you do to change this?

Ideally you should look through the game and examine all the currently living players. If anything looks odd or out of place, ask that person a question. If you have a hunch, ask a question. If your gut tells you something is up, ask a question.

You'll probably be wrong about stuff, but the process is the important thing here, not the accuracy. E.G., your intuition about Cptn Alakazam's alignment is incorrect but that you had a gut feeling about it, listened to it, and stated your thoughts about it was the correct move.

As TheDarkStar said, replacements have no bearing on alignment. People can be replaced in as scum.

Unvote Salsacookies
Vote Illgeo

What prompted this?

I understand your reasoning for your vote on Ilgeo but not your reasoning for unvoting Salsacookies.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2014, 01:28:13 am »

Unvote Salsacookies
Vote Illgeo

What prompted this?

I understand your reasoning for your vote on Ilgeo but not your reasoning for unvoting Salsacookies.

Got some reads I'd like to get. Also, Illgeo is probably scum, which Salsacookies is possibly scum, but probably just a newb. I'd rather lynch someone the more likely scum.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2014, 03:07:35 pm »

Vote Count:
<1> Illgeo: Scripten
<2> Salsacookies: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum, TheDarkStar
<0> Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum:
<0> Worldmaster27:
<0> Scripten:
<0> TheDarkStar:
<0> Jim Groovester:
<0> No Lynch:

Not voting: Illgeo, Salsacookies, Jim Groovester, Worldmaster27

<0/3> Extend:
<0/4> Shorten:

Day 2 will end Wednesday, October 22, at 8 PM EST.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18