Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to design a fortress optimally for minimal lag?  (Read 2317 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: How to design a fortress optimally for minimal lag?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 05:08:02 pm »

On a 2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 4gb ram and crap Intel 2007 integrated graphics.. I'm due for a better PC (a desktop this time!) soonish but.. I won't stop genning the smallest islands as my DF worlds :| Outside of the FPS help I generally like them for their more compact size and more compact history.. My big dream was always to do 3x3 embarks over an entire small island map (ideally while leaving fast-travel walkable "roads" to use..) :)

Anyway, I also cut down the world site-population cap to 80-300 (80 because I can start detecting mild lag at a fort with 80 dwarves + animals..) I wish I could bear to 'cull unimportant figures' and use the generic-leather and generic-wood framerate-savers, but I love my leather and wood being labeled :(

I've never tried trimming down soil or cavern layers, though, and may look into that next worldgen.. For now I've got a fort of 150 dwarves and 100+ animals and sometimes I'm down at 4fps and do suffer occasional total freeze-ups from pathing.. If you really want to cut the pathing calc down you could try 'fastdwarf tele 1' on dfhack, which makes dwarves teleport to their destination.. But they'll only teleport if they can reach their destination naturally, so some form of general pathing check is still being run.

I'm tempted to try a couple desert/tundra embarks to see if there is any noticeable difference with no surface plants/trees + a single cavern layer..

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 09:18:34 pm »

Weird, did I miss someone else saying quantum stockpiles or am I the first?

I took a year on a community fort with something like 140 dorfs on a 4x4 with a sprawling layout and big stockpiles scattered everywhere.

I put in some vertically accessible living areas, walled off uninteresting cavern sections, mining tunnels, flood filled the fort with R and L traffic where suitable, added in vertical staircases and repurposed the existing ramps for minecart distribution, condensed the stockpiles into quantum piles on site with a feeder system from the depot to the appropriate stockpiles/workshops. All of that helped me go from 20~24 fps to 40~48 fps more consistently.

Typing "clean map item" bumped me to 59 fps though, as the fort had a lot of trees that had been dumping fruit all over the place for years and years and years.

Atomsmashing garbage and such was also part of the initial 24 -> 48 fps boost, btw.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 12:36:37 am »

Quantum stockpiles help quite a bit at times, and other times you'll see virtually no benefit.
Although they are simple to set up so might as well use them. Actually if you spend some time and set up a moderatly efficient minecart hauling system in your fort, it eats up a lot of the pathfinding time (since when pathfinding for a minecart, they only search down rails, so it gets real fast) And usually I find that most pathfinding comes from dwarves hauling stuff from different floors. Woodcutters can be a bit problematic, but thats as simple as not cutting wood. Also theres always putting a "low traffic" or "restricted" around your fort entrance to keep from wasting too much time pathing there.

Also, 1 thing that I've figured out with more recent play. Most of my early forts were based around a + of corridors (with the whitespace filled with stockpiles and workshops and such)
Instead I build them around 1 5 wide (with 2 rail lines) corridor with the working spaces to the north and south. With the "doorways" to the working spaces all set as low traffic because of the rails. Everyone prioritizes pathing horizontally down the wide hallway first, then heads north or south into their necessary workshop or stockpile. The center of the hall is numerous quantum stockpiles that are set up to feed materials to the nearest workshop. (Most workshops are in a 5x5 room, workshop centered, and the remaining spaces are an output stockpile for products)

On my laptop, this lets me keep a fort running (ver 34) with up to 250 dwarves before I start getting worse slowdowns. (At that point, I start having issues though, really need faster RAM on this thing, the processor is fast enough, the RAM is definitely my bottleneck on here)
Pages: 1 [2]