Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minecart - Dwarves not pushing?  (Read 1180 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Minecart - Dwarves not pushing?
« on: October 07, 2014, 12:57:30 am »

Hey, DF newbie here. Just had to make an account to ask this.

Y'see, recently I've went about building my first minecart system. It was supposed to fetch bought food from my trade depot (which is located on the other side of the map) and send it all the way to a point above my fortress, at which at the end of the track it will dump the food a couple of z-levels down into my fortress.

My dwarves have filled up the minecart with food from the stockpile I've made nearby (It's at 100%, i've checked), but nobody is pushing the thing. I've even made a burrow encompassing the stockpile, minecart and constructed minecart tracks, and assigned a dwarf with only the push/haul vehicle labour on. Nothing happens.

Some help guys?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 04:41:52 am by Bearskie »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecart - Dwarves not pushing?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 04:43:57 am »

What is the "depart condition"? - view/edit by looking at your 'h'-route management screen, selecting the 's'top in question. You must have an appropriate action ("push" typically), correct direction, acceptable condition ("when full/at least 50%") and no or very little delay ("always" or "in x days").

Check the "j"obs screen - if the job is generated, it should show up somewhere in the lower half of the list as "push track vehicle". If it doesn't, chances are there's something wrong with the depart conditions. If it does show up, check what prevents whoever was taking the job from executing it (follow the dwarf via "f" if needed).

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:50:30 am »

Well, managed to figure out the cause eventually.

For some reason eventhough i set the desired items as food & prepared food, it wasnt registering as such when i filled the minecart. I've noticed prepared food often causes me alot of hauling issues, including that one time when my kitchen had stacks of biscuits just rotting away.... FUN times.

Solved this by setting my carts to be guided when full of any items. Cart is trundling along the track perfectly fine right now, filled with food for my chefs to roast.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 07:03:14 am »

Is the cargo that gets loaded on the cart in barrels? I heard that the route management code has trouble identifying stuff inside containers, so it doesn't count it as (desired) food/clothes/crafts, but rather as (undesired) bins or barrels and doesn't trigger the "desired items" condition.

Good to hear that you got it to work anyway.