Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: goblin siege with undead?  (Read 2818 times)

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
goblin siege with undead?
« on: October 06, 2014, 06:02:25 pm »

I got the exciting message of "The dead walk. Hide while you still can!" signalling the first siege I've had at the fortress of heavywires. However the fortress was not in range of a necromancer tower. Looking at the invaders, there are only two zombie humans while the rest are are living breathing goblin! How the heck did goblins get zombies (or the other way around)?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: goblin siege with undead?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:06:04 pm »

I do believe necromancer relations are borked right now.  Add to that that all relationships are goofy right now, and reports of neutral undead have been reported, and you have an odd case like this.

I hope the combat overhaul will helps somewhat.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 06:10:37 pm »

Obviously the goblins kidnapped a couple of zombie babies and raised them.

;)

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 06:10:58 pm »

When's the combat overhaul coming up? A few updates down the line?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:11:34 pm »

Obviously the goblins kidnapped a couple of zombie babies and raised them.
siggy Sig sigs the sig.

When's the combat overhaul coming up? A few updates down the line?
Next up.  Certainly before the next version is worked on.

drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 06:13:23 pm »

I do believe necromancer relations are borked right now.  Add to that that all relationships are goofy right now, and reports of neutral undead have been reported, and you have an odd case like this.

I thought there was a combat overhaul? or are you talking about the army arc?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:15:21 pm »

I thought there was a combat overhaul? or are you talking about the army arc?

Toady put in new combat skills that are not used atm.  Hes going to make them used.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Coordination

---

Rather than risk being wrong, I rescind my statement about an upcoming imminent combat overhaul.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:21:45 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

lukstra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:33:29 pm »

Looking through legends mode seems to suggest an answer:

Even though the siege message was: "The dead walk. Hide while you still can!" in legends mode the siege is listed as an assault by a goblin civ. A dwarf - Iden Workwispered - was previously abducted by that goblin civ and eventually became a necromancer. Though this relationship is tenuous it might be an explanation why the goblin siege has zombies in their ranks.

If this is the answer it's exciting evidence that the active world will greatly impact dwarf mode and make each generated world much more dynamic!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:35:11 pm by lukstra »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:36:38 pm »

Well, at least I was right about the goblins kidnapping someone. :)

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:42:44 pm »

I hope eventually that neutral undead like ghosts and zombies are upheld and kept in the game. It'd be funny to see a zombie civ pop up, just wanting to either be left alone or even interacted with like everyone else. Could you see a zombie caravan with a ghostly diplomat attached, from an undead Civ that just wants to be friends?

ETA: It's not any worse than the idea of Demon diplomats leading caravans.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 01:24:15 pm »

I dunno. I just don't see zombies being able to communicate on a level higher than "Braaaaiins!". If you make them able to have rational thought processes and able to talk, they just aren't zombies anymore, they're something else.

Now I could see some sort of syndrome that causes those who have been injured/killed by zombies to become zombies. then you'd quite possibly see entire civilizations turned into zombies. But they wouldn't send caravans or diplomats, they's just send lots and lots of zombies.

Keith

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 01:56:03 pm »

I dunno. I just don't see zombies being able to communicate on a level higher than "Braaaaiins!". If you make them able to have rational thought processes and able to talk, they just aren't zombies anymore, they're something else.

Perhaps there could be something like the Army of the Dead or the crew of the Black Pearl.  Undead who are bound to the world by a curse or some kind of unfinished business but are still capable of organizing or communicating with living people.  It would certainly fit in with DF's fantasy world aesthetic.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 01:58:00 pm »

Perhaps there could be something like the Army of the Dead or the crew of the Black Pearl.  Undead who are bound to the world by a curse or some kind of unfinished business but are still capable of organizing or communicating with living people.  It would certainly fit in with DF's fantasy world aesthetic.
I would rather that kind of thing be left for mods, honestly.  I support adding that kind of availability in as mod material, not a part of vanilla.
PKs DF Mod!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 04:14:08 pm »

Maybe the necromancer can give them simple instructions, like "dont attack goblins"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Techempage

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 04:27:02 pm »

We are Forsaken...
Pages: [1] 2