Alt-History : Lower Gravity
- 5 (6.8%)
Alt-History : Higher Gravity
- 1 (1.4%)
Alt-History : Lower Athmospheric Density
- 1 (1.4%)
Alt-History : Higher Athmospheric Density
- 4 (5.5%)
Alt-History : Low Fantasy (You know, I'm not going to do this anyway)
- 3 (4.1%)
Alt-History : Different Races (You know, I'm not going to do this anyway)
- 3 (4.1%)
Moh's Scale: Hard Science (Real Life)
- 6 (8.2%)
Moh's Scale: Flexible Science (Marginal technologies become viable, though not commonplace)
- 9 (12.3%)
Moh's Scale: Brave New World (Marginal and some Speculative technologies viable)
- 7 (9.6%)
Moh's Scale: Physics Plus (The rules of physics are not what they used to be) [CAUTION: GM-VETO ]
- 1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Interest Check : The Design of Glorious Bureau People  (Read 13817 times)

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check : The Design of Glorious Bureau People
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2014, 09:18:47 am »

Well, mechs are pretty cool.

Railgun/coilgun tanks are a good substitute.

How about some power armor for our infantry?
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2014, 09:28:18 am »

Stirk,the only steampowered one was one of the handed ones. And the handed ones had no other weapons, so...

...No, they where definitely all steam powered. It was Steampunk VS Biopunk, if I remember correctly. The handed one just used some of its steam to hide itself. That is why they all had boilers that powered them. I looked it up just to be sure, and I was right. All of them where powered by steam. This was pretty explicit in the books.

I would have still voted for 2020.

I voted 1920. Robots are boring if they aren't real, and we aren't going to make mechs in 6 years. Even if we can' agree on what they are.

As for the whole rouge weapon thingies, the US army currently has a automated turret that osent really have a way to sense friend from foe, they just have it set to say "anything in this area? kill it."

Automated turrets are either:
A. Easy-to disable minfields
B. Close-in weapon systems (CIWS) which only shoot rockets and missiles and such.

at least, those are the only ones I heard of.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2014, 10:07:56 am »

I remember that the first one ran on diesel, alot of the other military ones did the same.
Except the giant ones, but those are comparable to battleships.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2014, 10:57:27 am »

And Ebbor, We'd have voted for a 2120 option if it was there :P
Nobody requested one.

the current military stances are against giving the kill decision to robots due to the "what if they go rogue" thought.
Wait, that's a real risk? Really? Always thought that was just sci-fi bullshit.
It's not a real risk. What is a real risk is that the robot starts engaging random things, because Computers have serious trouble to analyze and recognize video data. That's why no fully automated drone systems exist. Give a computer program a video with a single geometric object on it, and it'll only be able to successfully identify it in about 95% of the cases. Give it a picture of a tank and a real life environement, ...

The only thing so far, which drones can accomplish, is to follow a heat, movement or other signature, shown to them by a human controller.

And this is all feasible literally tomorrow with money and design added. We currently have the tech for all of this, just the current military stances are against giving the kill decision to robots due to the "what if they go rogue" thought. The U.S. is against letting the drones even fly themselves without human input, although they're perfectly fine with robotic munitions carriers and ground based anti infantry tankbots driven with an RC style controller.
Yeah, right. Diehard optimist you are. I'll grab your older post.

On a side note, drones fly automatically. They just need a human to pick targets and flight patterns.

The nice thing about EMP is that if EMP becomes a problem, we have bigger things to worry about since somebody just bloody nuked us.

That, or they were using a microwave projector to fry the components. The microwave projector by the way has an extremely short range and is more effective VS the living.
EMP Weaponry Exists, and it is fairly long range and doesn't kill people.

Besides, who told you microwave weaponry is more effective against the living. It totally isn't. Humans are mostly water, and water needs a massive amount of energy to be heated.

Drones are actually fairly longrange given the facilities to create their own power. Solar panels go a looooong way, they can easily enclose them during battle since the rotational circuit system for the legs and sensors would allow them to slide inward and between armor plates. Could also give them a system to syphon off of downed vehicle power supplies or nom on energy in electrical wires, could even have some specialized to be power stores and producers. Some specialized to repair. Others specialized for combat. They'd all look rather similar alsos, soooo bit hard to target the supports.
You seem to have a serious disparity between the energy use of the average drone, and the energy output of the average solar panel. Unless your drones are all ridicously flat. (Like manta rays), they're going to sit idly in the field recharging for 30 days in the month. (Solar insolation is 1.3 kW/mē). For Comparison, your average desktop computer uses 0.5 kW. The Abrams tank has a 1,120 kW engine.

If we let them mine for themselves, we could give them assemblers that can construct on command using available materials mined by the miners. Course the builders and miners would need a kill switch installed so they can't go rogue and go all VonNum on us.
This is what I was talking about with the 2120 stuff. The Industrial supply chain for most products is immense. Self-replicating machines are unlikely.

Anyway, I'll be setting up a thread in a short while.

But before that, I need a name for our glorious nation, and some suggestions for potential adversaries.

I will also be taking 1-2 people to control an enemy country, who will need to provide me with the following. Do note that this more of a position to help me than to actually play a game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In addition, some general information about the newly selected setting. Resources are much scarcer, which has resulted in a significant reduction of globalization and international cooperation. Balkanization is in full effect, and in general you should not be worried about sudden UNSC invasions or other unwinnable scenarios.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 11:10:48 am by 10ebbor10 »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2014, 12:18:07 pm »

I'd argue against resource scarcity. If we end up having that, we'd be more focused on just preserving existing supply lines and factories rather than actually doing anything. It's not a bad scenario, but it's tone where this sort of game wouldn't work in.

EDIT: I would also argue against balkanisation, especially if there's a general tension around due to something like resource scarcity. The only people concerned about a neighbor annexing a smaller one in this case is anyone that just wanted to annex said neighbor.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:20:20 pm by Taricus »
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2014, 12:21:51 pm »

Resource scarcity might just mean resources on earth, which means more spaaace for us.

Besides, if we are in space think of all the fun things we can do with throwing rocks at them.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2014, 12:23:13 pm »

We aren't in space though. It's 2020. Not 2120.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2014, 12:25:38 pm »

Or we might just get invaded because we tried going into space instead of developing weapons so.... :P

I'd actually prefer if we did it on a new world though, not RL eath. More fun that way in my opinion.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2014, 12:29:44 pm »

I was about to suggest that we be one of the Japanese splinter nations though. Sengoku Jidai II, anyone?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2014, 12:31:26 pm »

No.
Thank you.

And why wouldent we go to space? communications, recon, the ability tograb big lumps of rock to throw at cities, being able to hide nukes in orbit...
Highly Opinionated Fool

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2014, 12:41:11 pm »

No.
Thank you.

And why wouldent we go to space? communications, recon, the ability tograb big lumps of rock to throw at cities, being able to hide nukes in orbit...
I will not approve destruction of civilian population centers.

Military installations on the other hand..

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2014, 12:48:53 pm »

I gonna enjoy overambitious project failing :)

You guys ignore one thing. We will be not USA equivalent. We will be a backward nation trying to catch up
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2014, 12:58:04 pm »

I'd argue against resource scarcity. If we end up having that, we'd be more focused on just preserving existing supply lines and factories rather than actually doing anything. It's not a bad scenario, but it's tone where this sort of game wouldn't work in.
Resource Scarcity did get voted in however. Don't worry though, you won't be needing to balance oil supplies or anything. It just means that you might have to take care of alternative resources to build things.

I would also argue against balkanisation, especially if there's a general tension around due to something like resource scarcity. The only people concerned about a neighbor annexing a smaller one in this case is anyone that just wanted to annex said neighbor.
With Balkanization I meant that there's no such thing as the UN, NATO or other giant multinational power blocs that would be aggressively intervening to maintain peace. You would be relatively left alone, along multiple equally sized peers.

I'd actually prefer if we did it on a new world though, not RL eath. More fun that way in my opinion.
Won't be RL Earth. It'll be a different planet.

You guys ignore one thing. We will be not USA equivalent. We will be a backward nation trying to catch up
Not that backwards, but don't expect to be able to fund a space program as a side venture.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2014, 01:56:47 pm »

How about aircraft carriers?
Not that backwards, but don't expect to be able to fund a space program as a side venture.
We can always see if we can get our hand on old ICBMs or see if we cant get things to hitch rides.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:57:49 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2014, 02:33:08 pm »

How about aircraft carriers?
We can always see if we can get our hand on old ICBMs or see if we cant get things to hitch rides.
[/quote]Provided the carriers are not transporting refugees or are not working on a humanitarian aid project, they qualify as a military instillation.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8