Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: the mountain unit  (Read 837 times)

slimtim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the mountain unit
« on: November 21, 2007, 12:23:00 pm »

i am currently planning on building a dwarven water computer, or at leas a CPU. but thats where the problem comes in i have no idea how the inside of a cpu works. i can make al the logic gates and such. i have plans for memory but thats my biggest problem.
so if anyone could tell me a link or explaint it to me that would be great

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Re: the mountain unit
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »

Here's a lab tutorial

Let me tell you that your goal is practically impossible. Not only CPUs are ten times more complex than most logical circuits you will find. They're extremely dependent on timing. Something which is very difficult to control in DF water circuits. Also, if you manage to build a working CPU it will end up being horribly slow.

But first you should try to build an ALU. It's one of the most important components of a CPU but also it's relatively more easier to make. An try to reduce your instruction set to just the most basic operations. I think there are CPU designs that work only with SUB instructions but I'm not so sure.

Also, a CPU is a computer for most purposes. So if you manage to build a CPU you got your computer. No need to add more stuff.

[ November 21, 2007: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!