Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Expansion advice  (Read 7986 times)

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion advice
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2014, 09:38:42 pm »

Very useful information. I tried to do this in a different fashion, but my project failed due to starvation and annoying hauling tasks.
Can you confirm whether or not the lover/marriage tags are mutually exclusive? That is, if a dwarf has a marriage tag enabled, will they still first form a romance or do they need the romance flag enabled as well?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2014, 09:43:49 pm »

Very useful information. I tried to do this in a different fashion, but my project failed due to starvation and annoying hauling tasks.
Can you confirm whether or not the lover/marriage tags are mutually exclusive? That is, if a dwarf has a marriage tag enabled, will they still first form a romance or do they need the romance flag enabled as well?

All my testing was with ONLY the heterosexual marriage tag set, all other flags set to false.  Lover/Marriage is NOT mutually exclusive, but part of the progression:

Friends > Lovers > Marriage

My suspicion is that any dwarf with a romance tag will tend to get stopped at the "lover" phase, whether this overrides the marriage flag has yet to be seen (that will be my next test).

Another note:  Anyone who is a planter with large fields can almost be written off entirely as part of a viable pairing.  They just spend too much time working.  For the context of this challenge, I'd say to juggle the planting responsibilities onto a married dwarf once you have one to free up the planter for love.

Also of note: Once your dwarves start having babies, they'll be squirting one out about once a year like clockwork.  At year 7, this fort is 7 dwarves, 9 children, and 3 babies.

Addendum: Personality appears to play more than a passing role in whether relationships are possible.  I had a dwarf with 3 of the "no-fly" personality traits, and they barely made any friends and never really progressed past being a friend to those he did get close to.  So, if you're looking to play match-maker, keep an eye on those personality traits.  Anything that suggests social ineptitude or a negative personality seems to really kill any chance they have at forming any meaningful relations with other dwarves.

On the plus side, these are the ones to keep track of.  Once the spiral starts, these nega-dwarves are the ones you want to burrow in safety and wall up until things either calm down, or the last tantruming dwarf is dead.  If they've been kept relatively busy, they won't have any friends to mourn.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:08:39 am by Tacomagic »

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2014, 02:18:46 pm »

I'll finally get a chance to play again this arvo (haven't since Friday), so hopefully I can check out a bit more.

I'm thinking that we should perhaps begin a marriage science thread, and perhaps get some more interested parties involved?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2014, 02:30:11 pm »

I'll finally get a chance to play again this arvo (haven't since Friday), so hopefully I can check out a bit more.

I'm thinking that we should perhaps begin a marriage science thread, and perhaps get some more interested parties involved?

Might be a good idea.  Won't have much time to do more testing myself until tomorrow, if then, so getting a few more people into science mode might be worthwhile.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2014, 03:10:07 pm »

I'll see if i can summarise a the major points and get it into a thread. Won't be for a while, I don't finish work for another 4 hours :(
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2014, 09:52:01 pm »

So, I still haven't had a chance to do anything. Work called me in again :(

I do actually have more advice needed for expansion of city.

My materials are restricted, so my OCD isn't happy with my colour options. Bricks are the same colour as wood. Clay is my only alternative, but I'd like something different for a road.

I could make it white by using soap, but I'd rather keep it realistic (ish), and who the hell would walk on a soap road. I can't think of anything else to use, because even blood is the same colour as clay

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2014, 09:59:18 pm »

My materials are restricted, so my OCD isn't happy with my colour options. Bricks are the same colour as wood. Clay is my only alternative, but I'd like something different for a road.

I could make it white by using soap, but I'd rather keep it realistic (ish), and who the hell would walk on a soap road. I can't think of anything else to use, because even blood is the same colour as clay

Ash, maybe?  Glass (if sand)?

I haven't had time either.  Been on-call this week and crap is going nuts.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2014, 11:21:20 pm »

Ash? Good idea. Maybe charcoal because it has two uses. What do they look like when placed?

Unfortunately I don't have sand. I was going to use glass for windows in the houses, but there's none. Instead I found a few gems to do that for me

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:37 pm »

Ash? Good idea. Maybe charcoal because it has two uses. What do they look like when placed?

Unfortunately I don't have sand. I was going to use glass for windows in the houses, but there's none. Instead I found a few gems to do that for me

Pretty sure ASH is light gray when built into walls and charcoal is dark gray.  Only cost you 2 wood to find out, in any event.

Shame beeswax can't be rendered into bar form.  That nice golden yellow color would work great.

You could also try using Potash/Pearlash.  Both are white.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:01:59 am by Tacomagic »

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2014, 01:38:03 am »

I like it! 3 more colours to deal with :D thinking ash/charcoal road, lined with potash/pearlash

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2014, 03:08:17 am »

Update... Potash is a light grey, ash is white...

Also, VICTORY!!! I've had a marriage when I wasn't watching (and also a miscarriage, because I wasn't watching and they ran out of booze). There's still one pair of lovers, and the other 4 seem to just want to all be friends. Once babies start popping out, it's time to kill the parents. I'm thinking maybe just one baby per couple, to save from too many relationships within the fort. Last thing I want is fort incest

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2014, 07:47:48 am »

Good to know.  Especially since the raws say it's the other way around.  I guess item color may not always correspond to build color.

Was charcoal still dark grey?

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2014, 07:57:47 am »

Good to know.  Especially since the raws say it's the other way around.  I guess item color may not always correspond to build color.

Was charcoal still dark grey?

Charcoal is the same colour as potash (from memory of potash... just checked then)

Edit: Pearlash and ash are white, Charcoal and potash are light grey
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:16:20 am by Mimodo »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]