Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Expansion advice  (Read 8008 times)

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expansion advice
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2014, 01:27:59 pm »

I should feasibly work for dwarves, but I've just used it to make animals pregnant.  The tricky part is that you have to inject some genes into the female in order for the pregnancy to correctly carry to term. 
That is a very discomforting description of impregnation.

Mimodo, how many dwarves are in your breeding chamber? Out of 16, I've had all 4 females obtain a lover. After 5+ years on each, none of them married.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2014, 02:50:49 pm »

AHA!  Figured it out!

The downside is that this method forces the offspring to look like the mother.   You could probably randomize it somehow (I know that the old creature-creation script did this, so there's a way), but this at least serves to provide a way to check and see if your animals can carry a pregnancy to term:

Select a female unit in the unit list and enter the following commands in the DFHack command line:

Code: [Select]
[DFHack]# lua
[lua]# unit=dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit()
[lua]# preg = df.unit_genes:new()
[lua]# preg.colors:assign(unit.appearance.genes.colors)
[lua]# preg.appearance:assign(unit.appearance.genes.appearance)
[lua]# unit.relations.pregnancy_genes = preg
[lua]# unit.relations.pregnancy_caste = 1
[lua]# unit.relations.pregnancy_timer = 10

Once you unpause, the creature will give birth to clone(s) after 10 ticks.

Of note: you have to create a new "preg" table every time you do this, otherwise the game will crash.  I'll build a new script to do this more reliably when I get a little more time to play this evening (baby just woke up from his nap, so I'm back on the clock).

It might also be possible to make male animals pregnant with these commands.  Haven't played with them overmuch.

EDIT:  It does work for dwarves. They'll look the same, but their personalities, goals, etc, will be different.  It appears that everything other than appearance and color are randomly generated.

ANOTHER EDIT:  Last one, my little dwarf is trying to help me type. Apparently genes must not go through in a 1:1 ratio because I doubled checked and a baby made this way does not actually look like a copy of the parent.  Rather, a few of the traits are kept and some new ones are rolled up.  Pretty cool, actually.  Haven't tried to make a male pregnant.  I'll do that later.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:03:40 pm by Tacomagic »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2014, 06:17:39 pm »

Life uh.... ah... finds a way....

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2014, 06:24:52 pm »

Life uh.... ah... finds a way....

The raptors know lua!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2014, 08:17:02 pm »

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2014, 05:28:35 am »

Haven't tried to make a male pregnant.  I'll do that later.

Why am I not surprised
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2014, 12:47:46 pm »

Why am I not surprised

Male pregnancy ended poorly.  Nothing happens with male animals (the pregnancy just ends), but if you make a male dwarf pregnant, he immediately miscarries and get's an extremely negative thought.

C'est la vie.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2014, 01:47:28 pm »

if you make a male dwarf pregnant, he immediately miscarries and get's an extremely negative thought.

"I'm tellin' ye, dey came down from outer space inna blaze o' light, and dey sucked me up innit, and dey had dis orrible probe, dat dey pushed in me nethers..."

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2014, 04:19:46 pm »

Why am I not surprised

Male pregnancy ended poorly.  Nothing happens with male animals (the pregnancy just ends), but if you make a male dwarf pregnant, he immediately miscarries and get's an extremely negative thought.

C'est la vie.

That's actually pretty disappointing to hear :( this pregnancy (female) will work without a father? What does it show in the relationships screen for the newborn baby?
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2014, 04:29:35 pm »

Why am I not surprised

C'est la vie.

That's actually pretty disappointing to hear :( this pregnancy (female) will work without a father? What does it show in the relationships screen for the newborn baby?

Yes, it allows asexual dwarf reproduction for females.  I didn't think to check the relations screen, let me divide another dwarf real quick and see what the screen looks like.

EDIT:  Just shows a mother and deities, no father.

You can steal genes from a male to create a father if you want.  Pretty similar to above, just have to make sure to load the preg variable from a male dwarf and then store the Unit_ID from that male in the pregnancy_spouse variable on the mother.  Might even be able to create a situation with 2 mothers.   Gonna give that a try next.

EDIT EDIT: Yup, you can do a baby with 2 mothers.  You could probably do one with 2 fathers if you sex-changed one of them for the pregnancy and then sex change them back after the birth.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:50:56 pm by Tacomagic »

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2014, 06:01:58 pm »

So whilst you can't impregnate a male, you can turn a pregnant female into a man?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2014, 06:03:48 pm »

So whilst you can't impregnate a male, you can turn a pregnant female into a man?

No, you'd need to wait until after the birth to turn her into a man.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2014, 08:03:00 am »

I am so sure that at one point this thread was about helping a guy expand his aboveground city :P
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2014, 02:27:06 pm »

Hey, you can't expand a city without dwarves to fill the houses! I think DwarvesMeet.com is a very relevant point of discussion considering how hard it is to get dwarves to marry.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2014, 04:15:55 pm »

I am so sure that at one point this thread was about helping a guy expand his aboveground city :P

Yeah, but this is so much more interesting :p and is, of course, the hardest part of the expansion

Hey, you can't expand a city without dwarves to fill the houses! I think DwarvesMeet.com is a very relevant point of discussion considering how hard it is to get dwarves to marry.

My version is really more of a creepy sex dungeon with nothing but food, booze, and beds
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7