Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What.. is.. going.. on?! Merchant-on-citizen violence!  (Read 1552 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
What.. is.. going.. on?! Merchant-on-citizen violence!
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:03:55 pm »

Hrm.. My dusty, old, conflict-free fort has generated some kind of trouble :| A 5-wagon caravan from the mountainhomes arrives and begins pathing to my depot, requiring them to go all the way around the wall.. At the same time I'm having a 3 tile wide buffer of wooden floors built around the entire fort to help keep trees away from the walls, and now I've got:

*one of my own carpenters that apparently attacked a swordsdwarf guard that came with the caravan (he got his neck chopped out for his troubles..)
*another miner who also lost his head when he decided to attack the same swordsdwarf..
*my woodcrafter attacks the merchant, no damage done, then my miner stepped in and put a pick through the merchant's head..
*five of my dwarves standing in a pile viciously beating one of my many, many migrant Traders..

Not sure what to make of this, though I'll be a bit irritated if it leads to a spiral :) I'm not currently saved, though, so I can fall back and lose some progress in favor of burrowing everyone and pulling the drawbridge when these merchants re-arrive in the alternate savescummed reality :|

Anyway, I can't find a source for this whole conflict starting..

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
Re: What.. is.. going.. on?! Merchant-on-citizen violence!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 10:12:34 pm »

I suspect that your carpenter had a tantrum or something which made him attack the guard, and when the guard struck back, he becomes marked as an enemy and a friendly at the same time... it gets complicated, and I've forgotten where it is on the wiki, but basically anything that attacks the enemy-friendlies gets marked as an enemy-friendly and it all spirals into a clusterfuck.
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 10:13:52 pm »

Insanity due to staring at your avatar too long?

I'm stumped though, sure nobody cut a tree and hit a merchant with a log or something?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:15:15 pm »

That is ye olde loyalty cascade.  The only thing you can really do is try to find all the dissidants and quarter them far away from everyone.

Check out the loyalty cascade section near the bottom of here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Faction

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 10:20:45 pm »

That is ye olde loyalty cascade.  The only thing you can really do is try to find all the dissidants and quarter them far away from everyone.

Check out the loyalty cascade section near the bottom of here:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Faction
I'm glad someone found it :)
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:46:47 pm »

Its curious business since my dwarves have suffered 7 long years of masterpiece meals and an artifact-coated engraved ecstatic existence all the time :> These two carpenters are the first casualties in all that time outside of one presser I crushed on purpose with falling debris.. Even the kiddos in daycare are ecstatic despite the severed dwarven head, caged zombie they're forced to sleep beside, and not having enough open floor-space to host effective parties :) When they puke, they're puking on masterwork engravings ;) Anyway, I don't even think there's a dwarf with a grudge in the entirety of the fort, even..

Never knew any of this about renegades and loyalists, but I'm not sure that's what happened either, at least if its supposed to be an in-fort reaction (or if the game makes an announcement about it? Didn't see any..), because my two carpenters (who were constructing flooring in the pathway of the wagons) attacked the caravan guard to start the whole thing instead of attacking citizens.. I also see no-one listed as a political troublemaker, and have never assaulted any of my dwarven caravan visitors.. Strangely this is also the caravan that announced I pick a baron (though the trouble started pre-baron appointment..).

The Trader who was getting pummeled by four or five other dwarves is okay, too, still loyal and puking off a bit of sun sickness in the main Hall.. No enemies listed in in his relationships and no negative moods from the incident besides seeing one of the carpenters get his head swiped off..

EDIT: Also, yeah about the avatar, Max :D At first it was just the "tastefully arranged Cage" bit with no supporting image since my dwarves all huddle around their artifact cage for mood radiation and their 'thoughts' screens always mention 'the Cage' :> I only recently took the extra terrifying step and supplied an image to the statement ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:53:55 pm by dwarf_reform »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 11:00:38 pm »

Out of curiousity, have you worked out what the minimum floor space for parties needed is?

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 12:20:15 am »

I have no idea :D Here's the offending room that keeps throwing off 'Random Dwarfname, Dwarven Child cancels Attend Party: No floor space.

There's a party going on in there at the moment anyway, so it just depends on positioning, but its 50 total tiles, 10 taken by statues, one taken by the well, 6 burrowed children, 3 coyotes and a kea on chains.. I forgot I removed the caged zombie and replaced it with a headless dwarf corpse and its head so I could use the zombie cage for a 'dining experiment' (will dwarves dine in a room full of bees and a chained zombie.. Answer is: only if they're brave.)

The animals have been a total failure, as daycare goes :( The kea I just added hoping it'd harass them (no), they coyotes because I figured, even tame, they'd bite at them occasionally (they do not..).. Anyway, the room and chains are situated so there's no tile they can hide from the chained animals in, even while asleep (they're burrowed and the burrow doesn't cover the southern hallway out of the room..) Been waiting a long time for some appropriate animals :|

I've got a wild cave croc and grizzly I should chain in there, though.. ;) Or maybe the dwarven zombie, or a were-hyena.. May as well install some hives in there while I'm at it..

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 12:20:27 am »

Its curious business since my dwarves have suffered 7 long years of masterpiece meals and an artifact-coated engraved ecstatic existence all the time :> These two carpenters are the first casualties in all that time outside of one presser I crushed on purpose with falling debris.. Even the kiddos in daycare are ecstatic despite the severed dwarven head, caged zombie they're forced to sleep beside, and not having enough open floor-space to host effective parties :) When they puke, they're puking on masterwork engravings ;) Anyway, I don't even think there's a dwarf with a grudge in the entirety of the fort, even..

Never knew any of this about renegades and loyalists, but I'm not sure that's what happened either, at least if its supposed to be an in-fort reaction (or if the game makes an announcement about it? Didn't see any..), because my two carpenters (who were constructing flooring in the pathway of the wagons) attacked the caravan guard to start the whole thing instead of attacking citizens.. I also see no-one listed as a political troublemaker, and have never assaulted any of my dwarven caravan visitors.. Strangely this is also the caravan that announced I pick a baron (though the trouble started pre-baron appointment..).

The Trader who was getting pummeled by four or five other dwarves is okay, too, still loyal and puking off a bit of sun sickness in the main Hall.. No enemies listed in in his relationships and no negative moods from the incident besides seeing one of the carpenters get his head swiped off..

EDIT: Also, yeah about the avatar, Max :D At first it was just the "tastefully arranged Cage" bit with no supporting image since my dwarves all huddle around their artifact cage for mood radiation and their 'thoughts' screens always mention 'the Cage' :> I only recently took the extra terrifying step and supplied an image to the statement ;)

Strange.  Might have been the result of a grudge?  Check the relations of the one who started it and see if he's grudged against the dude he attacked.  I've seen grudge holders start fist-fights and strangle each other unconscious in some of my forts.  As of yet I've never seen this when one of them is actually holding a weapon.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 07:30:50 am »

Terrifying AND clever!  Took me a few to figure it out, then I lol'ed.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 11:22:26 am »

I have no idea :D Here's the offending room that keeps throwing off 'Random Dwarfname, Dwarven Child cancels Attend Party: No floor space.

There's a party going on in there at the moment anyway, so it just depends on positioning, but its 50 total tiles, 10 taken by statues, one taken by the well, 6 burrowed children, 3 coyotes and a kea on chains.. I forgot I removed the caged zombie and replaced it with a headless dwarf corpse and its head so I could use the zombie cage for a 'dining experiment' (will dwarves dine in a room full of bees and a chained zombie.. Answer is: only if they're brave.)

The animals have been a total failure, as daycare goes :( The kea I just added hoping it'd harass them (no), they coyotes because I figured, even tame, they'd bite at them occasionally (they do not..).. Anyway, the room and chains are situated so there's no tile they can hide from the chained animals in, even while asleep (they're burrowed and the burrow doesn't cover the southern hallway out of the room..) Been waiting a long time for some appropriate animals :|

I've got a wild cave croc and grizzly I should chain in there, though.. ;) Or maybe the dwarven zombie, or a were-hyena.. May as well install some hives in there while I'm at it..

The "No floor space" results most likely from the party happening outside of their designated burrow. I assume you have burrowed the children into that one room?

Chained animals won't work at what I think you're attempting to do; even releasing something dangerous to the day care area will produce erratic results at best. See the "Dwarven Child Care" thread for some examples.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:13:30 pm »

I forgot I removed the caged zombie and replaced it with a headless dwarf corpse and its head so I could use the zombie cage for a 'dining experiment' (will dwarves dine in a room full of bees and a chained zombie.. Answer is: only if they're brave.)
I'm not sure how to break it to my woman, but I think I've fallen head over heels here, and I want to make gruesome horrorbabies with you.