Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Help with creating my first playable creature  (Read 2102 times)

The Mighty Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Mead Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Help with creating my first playable creature
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 01:18:58 pm »

I didn't make them the entry in entity_default.txt, that'll explain it, so I'll fix that. Nonetheless I actually managed to get a goblin exposed to the blood of my creature but it doesn't seem to do anything despite the fact it should impart a paralyzing syndrome upon the foe. I got my goblin to lick the blood yet he was absolutely fine. Here's the material template for the creature's blood:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe looking at this in conjunction with the previously posted raw for the creature will help to figure it out? Thanks for helping me get this far guys!

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 01:44:38 pm »

Paralysis can't be localized. You should also add [SYN_INGESTED] if you want licking to do anything.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 01:46:46 pm »

Yeah, try getting rid of the LOCALIZED tag. Maybe that's throwing a spanner in the works.

In fact, while we're figuring out if the problem is in the delivery itself, you could try replacing the paralysis effect temporarily with this cave floater illness - it demonstrably works and shows easily.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Mighty Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Mead Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 01:48:14 pm »

Thank you very much you guys, I'll try that out and see how it goes. May I just say that you guys are awfully good to take the time to help me and I appreciate it very much!  :D

The Mighty Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Mead Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 02:24:28 pm »

Okay, I removed LOCALIZED and tried it, no difference. Secondly I replaced the effect with the floating guts one but that was the same. It might be worth noting that the blood always seems to basically always display as 'frozen blood' and seems to quickly disappear from the floor shortly after it is spilled. At least, that's what I see. Any other ideas?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 03:47:01 pm »

Most freezable liquids freeze instantly in DF. A dangerous spit turns into a flying ice ball.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 03:48:59 pm »

Do you need the blood map descriptor? I thought you just plugged the syndrome straight into the material. That might be it.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

The Mighty Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Mead Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 10:06:04 am »

I removed the [BLOOD_MAP_DESCRIPTOR] tag but that didn't do anything. Maybe it'd work if I got rid of all the other details about the blood except the stuff that was really necessary? I'm not sure why it's not working.

Edit: The wiki says this :
If you are having troubles getting the syndromes to work (i.e., in combat reports, getting "supersnake n/a splatters~etc"), then simply throw the venom template into the actual creature's raw, which is what the LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT actually calls on; the venom being in the same file.
Maybe if I did this it'd work? What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:07:38 am by The Mighty Dorf »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 10:34:38 am »

You gave them the INDIV_CONTROLLABLE tag? In the new entity definition that you made for them in entity_default.txt?

Did you generate a new world? Civilization data, most of the time, is only applied once during worldgen.
The entity doesn't need to be in entity_default.txt, it could be its own file entity_reptoid.txt which would be easier to transport to a new version of DF when it comes out.  Just needs to have "entity_reptoid" by itself on the first live and "[OBJECT:ENTITY]" after that.

As for the blood issue, it is frozen at room temperature.  Water freezes at 10000, and 10700 is about the temperature of normal fire.  Try using something like 9990 as the melting point.

When I'm troubleshooting a syndrome, I usually use something like [CE_FLASH_TILE:'*':7:0:1:FREQUENCY:100:100] so that it's obvious when an infection occurs.  That doesn't actually harm the creature, so it can be put right alongside the effects you really want to test.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

The Mighty Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Mead Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 10:52:09 am »

Well, I added the indicator tag ([CE_FLASH_TILE:'*':7:0:1:FREQUENCY:100:100]), I added [SYN_INGESTED], changed the melting point, as well as all the stuff I did previously but I've still had no luck! I've mainly been testing it with goblins, but I've also tested it with dwarves a few times. Any other ideas?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 11:02:03 am »

Well, I added the indicator tag ([CE_FLASH_TILE:'*':7:0:1:FREQUENCY:100:100]), I added [SYN_INGESTED], changed the melting point, as well as all the stuff I did previously but I've still had no luck! I've mainly been testing it with goblins, but I've also tested it with dwarves a few times. Any other ideas?
Can you at least get puddles of the stuff now?  The [ENTERS_BLOOD] tag is for injected poisons; leave that out for stuff that's supposed to infect based on skin contact.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 11:04:41 am »

Blood melting point is too high, it is higher than both the boiling point and the heatdam point.  It's probably never liquid, which is relevant b/c that the best state for spreading contact syndromes if i'm not mistaken

[IGNITE_POINT:10508]
   [MELTING_POINT:10700]
   [BOILING_POINT:10180]
   [HEATDAM_POINT:10500]
   [COLDDAM_POINT:9900]

ed.  this above is from your creature above ... just to be clear my suggestions is to try melting point around 10000.  if that's not working sorry, i got nothing else :)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:47:01 am by smakemupagus »

The Mighty Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Mead Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 11:27:24 am »

Well, I changed the bold boiling, etc values as per smakemupagus' specifications and removed the [ENTERS_BLOOD] token, to no effect. Puddles still fail to form on the ground. Maybe it's because I removed [BLOOD_MAP_DESCRIPTOR] or because I have both [SYN_CONTACT] and [SYN_INGESTED]? Maybe I did something wrong in the main raw specifying the blood? I'm not sure, but any other ideas are welcome.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 11:47:33 am »

ed.  this above #s are copied  from your creature above ... just to be clear my suggestions is to try melting point around 10000.  if that's not working sorry, i got nothing else :)

The Mighty Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Mead Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 12:21:14 pm »

Ok, the blood makes spatterings on the floor which actually stay and can be seen, but walking over them or licking them still does nothing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3