Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unusual piece of armor  (Read 1072 times)

Argus_Mccray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unusual piece of armor
« on: October 05, 2014, 03:22:56 am »

I had a dwarf go into a strange mood a few minutes ago and he produced something rather odd. The mood resulted in "Rounded Iron Greaves". Has anyone encountered this? I checked the stock screen and they seem to be distinctly different from regular greaves. I can't find any info on the wiki about this type of armor either. Any idea of how its different?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual piece of armor
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 03:28:29 am »

I believe it's just flavour text. I got a segmented steel breastplate once.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 03:31:29 am »

This is part of the varied cultures that Toady is working on. Certain armours and weapons made by some entities will have variations, such as rounded greaves in place of regular greaves. In my current fort I have ornate gauntlets, as another example.
I don't think there's any notable difference between the variant items and the raw ones. I also remember a thread a while back where someone posted the (memory-hacked) raws for a variant war hammer - it was identical to a regular warhammer in all but the name. So odds are that rounded greaves are no better or worse.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 12:54:35 pm »

I had a "square" breastplate in a previous fortress as a result of a strange mood.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 05:43:20 pm »

I assumed it was randomly generated names for weapons/armour. Just as a flavour thing...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:31:53 pm »

Kind of. The game makes entirely new items (well, copies existing ones) and gives them some flavour text. We don't know if they're in any way different.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Linkxsc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 09:46:59 pm »

Cant wait for the flavor text to be fleshed out more, because it is quite nifty. And in the case of someone like myself. I've been... I guess, relearning to draw. Used to do it all the time 6-8 years ago (coincidentally when I was in highschool with lots of notebooks that should have had other things written in them) and want to illustrate the events in my games (to go along with a lets play or something).
Flavortext is quite helpful for fleshing out what a character should look like/their equipment.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 09:58:40 pm »

Kind of. The game makes entirely new items (well, copies existing ones) and gives them some flavour text. We don't know if they're in any way different.
Possible spoilers?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 10:07:07 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)