Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you a pixel artist? Let's account for everyone!

Yes
- 29 (54.7%)
No
- 24 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 48

Author Topic: Lair of the Pixel Artist (Share Your Pixel Art Here)  (Read 107270 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Lair of the Pixel Artist
« Reply #360 on: March 29, 2015, 06:11:09 pm »

My name is NQT and I approve of this gif.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 30, 2015, 09:32:29 pm »

:D I love that gif.

I made this set of miniatures/figurine type-things which, like the hexes I posted a while back, I intend on using in a forum game (which will probably never happen).

I make the original sprites in a very plastic-y style with no dithering or anything, and then I overlaid a a partially transparent image of wood onto them so they'd look less plastic.
If I ever make the game, I probably won't include the person, 'cause people are lame and animals are cooler.

As usual, feedback would be welcome.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #362 on: March 31, 2015, 12:20:48 am »

Here's an updated version of that .gif I posted earlier, since the background was borrowed from one of my older works.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:35:04 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 31, 2015, 05:18:01 am »

:D I love that gif.

I made this set of miniatures/figurine type-things which, like the hexes I posted a while back, I intend on using in a forum game (which will probably never happen).

I make the original sprites in a very plastic-y style with no dithering or anything, and then I overlaid a a partially transparent image of wood onto them so they'd look less plastic.
If I ever make the game, I probably won't include the person, 'cause people are lame and animals are cooler.

As usual, feedback would be welcome.
Depending on the backdrop, the details on the dark brown pieces may appear pretty murky.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #364 on: March 31, 2015, 06:54:39 am »

In the midst of a WIP I made something terribly silly.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 05, 2015, 05:50:22 pm »

Our Electronic Overlord suggests you read and follow the instructions on the terminal.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 14, 2015, 05:02:41 pm »

Weapon sprites, roughly 18x18 pixel limit for each. WIP.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:17:15 pm by BlackFlyme »

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 14, 2015, 07:20:06 pm »

PTW

Oh, and also, have a creepy puppet:
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #368 on: April 14, 2015, 09:40:03 pm »

That's pretty sweet.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 16, 2015, 11:02:21 pm »

Hey, I've got more DF-related stuff so I figured this would be a nice place to share! Here are some isometric Stonesense tiles I've been experimenting with.

Everything is in the 8-bit colorspace, so these tiles are fully compatible with 256-color mode. Running Stonesense with these tiles would reduce memory usage and greatly speed up the program for older computers! Not to mention, working with 8-bit color has been pretty interesting so far. It's missing a lot of pure shades, so hue-shifting is absolutely necessary to get the color ramps you want. The first four rows of tiles are the soil types of Dwarf Fortress, by the way. Think I got the colors right?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:41:35 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #370 on: April 17, 2015, 10:40:52 am »

I'm liking the textures.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 24, 2015, 12:06:13 am »

I'm thinking of making an ISG using pixel art. I don't know a lot about the technical aspects, though, like what size to make the image, how to make it larger without ruining the quality, how to make sprites, etc. I can make characters and doodle with paint.net well enough, I just don't know how to effectively keep using them without drawing them manually each time. (Basically a system for the updates) Any help?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #372 on: April 24, 2015, 12:45:31 am »

I'm thinking of making an ISG using pixel art. I don't know a lot about the technical aspects, though, like what size to make the image, how to make it larger without ruining the quality, how to make sprites, etc. I can make characters and doodle with paint.net well enough, I just don't know how to effectively keep using them without drawing them manually each time. (Basically a system for the updates) Any help?
Well you can look at the two pixel ISGs I've made (1, 2), Escaped Lurker has done a few as well. When it comes to pixel art usually you're going to be scaling the images up x2 or x4 (since pixels are squares, you have to resize by even numbers or else the drawing won't scale perfectly)—which is what I did for In the Dark and Stalk.exe—in order to make them readable on the forums, but if the drawings are hi-res you might not need to do that, but those would have to be very big drawings. Re-using sprites is something that a lot of artists get away with in video games, you'll be able to use the same kinds of tricks as long as you're conscientious about it, in order to make the work more manageable. What I did for both of mine was to choose a resolution and stick to it, that way the amount of time you spend on each drawing will be easy to gauge. If you're doing lots of scenes or trying to come up with new characters, do a really shitty storyboard first on notebook paper and scribble characters and interactibles like items, doors and switches where you want them to go. It's the same as designing levels for a video game really.

If you're doing pixel art, you've got to do it manually. No brushes or anything except for line work or setting up your values on larger images. The whole idea of pixel art is that you're controlling the placement of each individual pixel, so if you're doing things manually, you're doing it right! It sounds like a lot of work, and trust me it's just as hard as it sounds. I recommend JackBread's videos on YT if you want to see some quick examples of texturing, character design and animation.

What are your goals for the game, if I may ask?

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 24, 2015, 01:01:53 am »

^Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna start watching JackBread's vids too.

Basically the game will be very free-form and adventure-y. It's kinda a brainstorm for another, proper game later on. You know those Create-a-Map games they have in FGRP right now? I'm planning on doing that, but instead of a map it will be in third-person perspective who sees and interacts with places and things the players suggest.

Basically set in a desert which more or less acts as a multiverse where everything in every dimension converges, and the players controlled a banished explorer doomed to wander the Shifting Wastes for eternity.

I'm gonna use the things that the creative juices of Bay12 and incorporate them into an RTD also set in that desert.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 24, 2015, 01:58:19 am »

Sorry for double-posting! Here's something I made, kind of a prototype.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I can't make it bigger without making it all blurry, though. Never mind, figured it out.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 02:00:01 am by Cheesecake »
Dying of laughter?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 48