Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you a pixel artist? Let's account for everyone!

Yes
- 29 (54.7%)
No
- 24 (45.3%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 48

Author Topic: Lair of the Pixel Artist (Share Your Pixel Art Here)  (Read 107256 times)

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
Re: Lair of the Pixel Artist
« Reply #315 on: January 31, 2015, 09:53:06 am »

Today is a sad, sad day for me. It is the one day of the year that cannot celebrate my unbirthday, so maybe a few votes on my entry will cheer me up? :B

Here's a merry band of adventuring golems done in the 16-color CGA palette! From left to right, these guys are Hook Heroine, Candlestick Cleric and Barrel Brawler.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 31, 2015, 05:32:38 pm »

@DragonDePlatino: I simply love the middle one.

*snip*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Took a while because I had to finish this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Or more precisely finish making the game read that. Yay, moddability! If anyone can be arsed to read the damn thing, let me know if you could theoretically mod something with that format. It would be quite useful to know.

As far as the animations themselves are concerned, the idling and damaged animations were weird so I changed them slightly(made them 1 and 4 frames respectively, as can be seen above). Also the straight-right attacking animation doesn't even come close to hitting the enemy. Overall not very impactful animations and the sprites are very flat. The death animation has its charm though and they actually look pretty good in action. Feel free to make more animations or to tweak this one.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:45:58 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #317 on: January 31, 2015, 05:50:08 pm »

That Candle Cleric is a brilliant character design. :O

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 31, 2015, 11:11:27 pm »

-snip-

Well, the Spearman was a test since I've never done anything like this before.  I could conceivably make the attack animations extend past their borders, but in all honesty I'm a little tired of dealing with that sprite set...and it would involve offsetting ALL of the sprites in order to keep it uniform, which would be a pain. 

I can do it if you really want, but I was wondering if you'd rather have a new sprite, like maybe a commander or a ranged unit or multi-tile unit or something to help test out your code. 

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2015, 12:09:00 am »

Hey, thanks everyone! Glad to see you like my entry! Today turned out to be a very nice cake day, with a delicious peanut-butter cake and lots of money for Steam games.

One question, though...why do you guys prefer Candlestick Cleric? I used my entry as a chance to practice character design, and I'm curious why you would like that design more than the other two.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2015, 12:11:53 am »

WIP

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 01, 2015, 01:23:54 pm »

-snip-

Well, the Spearman was a test since I've never done anything like this before.  I could conceivably make the attack animations extend past their borders, but in all honesty I'm a little tired of dealing with that sprite set...and it would involve offsetting ALL of the sprites in order to keep it uniform, which would be a pain. 

I can do it if you really want, but I was wondering if you'd rather have a new sprite, like maybe a commander or a ranged unit or multi-tile unit or something to help test out your code.

Don't get too attached to uniformity. Makes things way more difficult in certain cases.

You can do a multi-hex unit or a ranged unit(+projectile) next. I'm gonna do multi-hex guys first, but I need to write the code for handling projectiles and the like too at some point. Your choice really.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 01, 2015, 01:26:30 pm »

That game looks like fun
I would totaly beta test if you wanted people to do that
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 01, 2015, 01:44:28 pm »

Well, might as well post the thing here. Linky
I put this together for ShadowHammer, so it currently has everyone as the clay men.

Controls
d - Calculate turn.
e - Activate proper graphics.
Just hold down d for a bit and then press e to see what happens. If combat stops, then just press d a couple of times.

z, x - Faster/Slower speed. Can pause with this.

Arrow Keys - Move the camera around.

One question, though...why do you guys prefer Candlestick Cleric? I used my entry as a chance to practice character design, and I'm curious why you would like that design more than the other two.

The first one is standing perfectly straight, and has weird looking limbs. The arms are just lines and the legs look like really baggy pants. The pose doesn't give it a lot of character.
The third one is not connected very well. The shading makes the boards of the barrels look round, and other problems can be best seen in the connections between the arm/forearm/hand. It has many pieces, but doesn't form a whole.

The cleric does not have those problems. The hunchback and face give it a good personality, and all the pieces seem to form a coherent whole. Pretty much the only problem I see is that the head and candle are at very different angles, causing them to look slightly disconnected from eachother.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:04:23 pm by cerapa »

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 01, 2015, 02:35:12 pm »

Thanks! You raised some very valid points! More organic poses/shapes and more unified designs if I'm going for some non-traditional limbs. I'll keep all of this in mind for the next time I'm designing characters.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 02, 2015, 08:04:19 am »

Some more animations, this time a hit animation and a death animation. Still unshaded, it's a pain in the ass to shade so many frames :-\

Spoiler: hit (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: death (click to show/hide)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 02, 2015, 03:50:07 pm »

-snip-

Don't get too attached to uniformity. Makes things way more difficult in certain cases.

You can do a multi-hex unit or a ranged unit(+projectile) next. I'm gonna do multi-hex guys first, but I need to write the code for handling projectiles and the like too at some point. Your choice really.

I'm an engineering student. I thrive on uniformity. i-i

What if I did a multi-hex (4 hex) mage that caused fire to erupt on the target panels?  Would it still have to face six directions, or would it have to face ten (for each adjacent tile)?

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 02, 2015, 04:25:38 pm »

What if I did a multi-hex (4 hex) mage that caused fire to erupt on the target panels?  Would it still have to face six directions, or would it have to face ten (for each adjacent tile)?

Six directions still. The particular directional animation used is dependant on the "centre hex". Consult this image if you want the specifics. And I wanna keep spells(which I am very, very far from coding) distinct from ordinary attacks, so make it a thrown projectile(as in, draw a seperate projectile sprite for the fireball). And draw the hex fire too. Attacks should be capable of inflicting arbitrary effects, so the fire will be useful when I get around to writing that part.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2015, 01:59:21 am »

Six directions still. The particular directional animation used is dependant on the "centre hex". Consult this image if you want the specifics. And I wanna keep spells(which I am very, very far from coding) distinct from ordinary attacks, so make it a thrown projectile(as in, draw a seperate projectile sprite for the fireball). And draw the hex fire too. Attacks should be capable of inflicting arbitrary effects, so the fire will be useful when I get around to writing that part.

Alright, cool.

Don't hold your breath, though.  It's gonna be a while before I can get to this, since I'm juggling about a half dozen projects because I have poor time management skills.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2015, 08:30:50 pm »

I finished up a multi-tile thing for cerapa's game.

Spoiler: Sprite Sheets (click to show/hide)
It's intended to occupy three tiles like this:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 48