Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 'Gender and Orientation'  (Read 9733 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'Gender and Orientation'
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 04:22:20 pm »

we have two dragons,

I had to stop here and reread what I'd responded to. Turns out, instead of reading ''mega beast'' i read ''Forgotten Beast'' in my brain for some reason, thus my confusion. So it turns out I just can't read. Carry on.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2014, 08:09:22 pm »

Spoiler: Off-topic (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 01:28:01 am »

Spoiler: Off-Topic (click to show/hide)

Very sorry about that, everyone. Please, carry on.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 01:34:54 am »

it wasn't worth the effort to PM you back.
:'(

Okay, okay. I'm sorry.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Always angry, all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 06:26:38 pm »

Sooo... how would you mod out all these extra orientations for animals? I mean, the only homosexual animals I know that exist are two bears in a zoo, but one might argue that they're not homosexual and merely conditioned to behave in that way. So which .txt file is it?
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 06:34:35 pm »

Whatever file contains the creatures raws.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 07:16:53 pm »

You would add ORIENTATION tags...
Code: (Under female caste) [Select]
[ORIENTATION:MALE:0:0:1]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:1:0:0]
Code: (Under male caste) [Select]
[ORIENTATION:MALE:1:0:0]
[ORIENTATION:FEMALE:0:0:1]
... to each animal.

That does, however, involve a lot of copy/pasting. I'm probably going to make a script to do it automatically.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2014, 08:37:20 pm »

Just make a Creature Variation. That way you only have to paste one line to each.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 10:03:33 pm »

Alternatively, install Python 3.4, and run this script in your raw/objects/ directory.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I can't vouch for its reliableness, but it seems to work okay. It only crashes sometimes.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:05:06 pm by InsanityIncarnate »

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 10:20:13 pm »

Are there any specific dependencies for that? I already have 3.4 installed (3.4? Well, I think so)
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 10:31:34 pm »

There are no other dependencies. I may have done something totally wrong that renders it unusable, however.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 10:36:40 pm »

it wasn't worth the effort to PM you back.
Okay, okay. I'm sorry.

Alright, well that's good to hear and thank you. I stand by what I said, but I'm sorry for being so damn harsh. Let's try and turn this around now.

I'd actually like to talk about the satellite colony thing. Never had a problem with the concept in pure game terms and was thinking of trying something similar, but in a "Gay bar with sweet ass techno music" sort of way rather than the creepy sociopath attitude of "You're not worthy citizens if you refuse to procreate". Which, I admit had hit home for me even as a straight married person because we have our own very important reasons for not having children, so people who make such broad statements about social issues like that tend to piss me off.

Anyway, mostly curious if it would help dwarves find like-minded lovers more quickly if they were separated temporarily into social environments that encourage dating. It could possibly assist the whole range of hetero, homo, and bi to find their ideal partners. Has anyone experimented with this? Then again, perhaps it would be best to wait for the new emotions and personalities to be implemented, cause I bet those are going to throw an even bigger wrench into the social dynamics of dwarven procreation processes.  :D

Sooo... how would you mod out all these extra orientations for animals? I mean, the only homosexual animals I know that exist are two bears in a zoo, but one might argue that they're not homosexual and merely conditioned to behave in that way. So which .txt file is it?

I think being stuck in a confined area with another of your species of any gender tends to have that effect, aka, prison. :P  But seriously, there are numerous accounts of animal homo/bi behaviors. Cats, dogs, birds, dolphins, and of course primates since we're related, but from previous discussions I think a lot of us here agree that exclusive homosexual partnerships between animals tends to be a bit rare compared to "in the heat of the moment" type instinctual stuff. There's some interesting stuff online if you care to check it out. Just google it.

To remove orientation for animals is to add orientation tags, as Insanity has explained. The tags will override the hard coding and become the default. Doesn't have to be a lot of copy/pasting, though. Use Edit>Replace in Notepad for that, using a common line between all creatures, then adding what you want under it. Some people say Notepad++ can do this on all open creature text files at once.

Mister Adams,

SlyStalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 02:16:19 am »

I think being stuck in a confined area with another of your species of any gender tends to have that effect, aka, prison. :P
Sigged

Also, I'd like to put something straight. The bears that I was referring to were separated at birth, I think, from their mother and as a result had no-one to suckle on, until... well...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So they were conditioned, and I really doubt that it's sexual for them in any way.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 01:57:19 pm »

I think being stuck in a confined area with another of your species of any gender tends to have that effect, aka, prison. :P
Sigged

Sig virginity lost! \o/

Also, I'd like to put something straight. The bears that I was referring to were separated at birth, I think, from their mother and as a result had no-one to suckle on, until... well...

Bear virginity lost! \o/

Mister Adams,
Pages: 1 [2]