Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Facekillz wants to make a Pen and Paper RPG with Mechs.  (Read 1514 times)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Facekillz wants to make a Pen and Paper RPG with Mechs.
« on: October 03, 2014, 07:47:02 pm »

So, you've some to this thread, you're reading these words, you're thinking one of multiple things, along the lines of:
"This has been done before."
"Will you even go through with this?"
"Is it even possible to create original content on the internet anymore?"
The answer to all of those is as follows:
"I don't care."
The truth is, I've been wanting to make a Pen and Paper game for a long time, ever since I first played Dungeons and Dragons with a few friends.
I also like big robots that fight other big robots.
Lastly, I also sorely lack in the creative outlets area, so let's express myself in Bay 12, where nobody will make fun of me!
In all truthfulness, this probably won't go very far, as all the projects I've convinced myself are good ideas, have, in the end, died.
So, now that I have your attention, I have a couple questions to ask you guys.

1. Is there interest for this sort of thing out there? Mecha pen and paper games aren't something I've heard about a lot myself.
2. Assuming this ever goes anywhere, like, at all, past my imagination, this thing is gonna need art, and testing. I can't do art, and I can't do testing alone. This probably won't be very commercial, so any help would probably go unpaid, except in praise, I'm seriously getting ahead of myself here though, as a 17 year old young adult with no general experience or ambition in life who is still in high school.

So yeah, there's me. Hopefully, I actually do more on this project than write this post, because that would just leave me looking like a loser. Ciao.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
Re: Facekillz wants to make a Pen and Paper RPG with Mechs.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:10:13 pm »

I could help out with this.  I haven't really played much Pen and Paper games, but I think they're pretty nifty.
Also I have SHIT-FUCK-TON of spare time.
Also I'm bored.
Also mechs.
Also PEWPEW LASER BEAMS

Also I don't really know what you want to do yourself (to make sure they get done the way you want), so until told otherwise I'm gonna work on a damage system of some sort.  It's prolly gonna be similar to D&D since that's the system I know best.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:18:12 pm by Cthulufaic »

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 05:28:28 pm »

I'm in the same boat as Cthulufaic. As for free time, I can always invent some. Also, GIANT ROBOTS.
So, brainstorming.What kind of mechs is this? There's two kinds, super and real, one being the crazy fantastical ones and the others being more realisticish (ie. not planet sized, etc.). I prefer the latter. What kind of mechs are we going for? Do they use hands or have arm mounted weapons? Or is the system barebones and adaptable, if so how flexible? What kind of detail are we measuring here? Mech hp and ammo, or each individual wire carefully weighed and budgeted for? Will the mechs gain experience like a character, or just the pilot? What is affected by the pilot's skill and what is affected by the mech's equipment? Most importantly, can I perform Titanfall-style terminations?
I have a love for this kind of thing, but I need you to set me limits before I start smashing out rules for my game, not yours.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 06:56:21 pm »

I have a love for this kind of thing, but I need you to set me limits before I start smashing out rules for my game, not yours.

Pff... instructions.  I've set some groundwork for some stuff already, though it's very basic and somewhat generic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Ignore misspellings, I'm using notepad because I don't like word on Win8)
Though it would be convenient to know the general tech level of this.

Also is it gonna be souper srs realistic mech combat, or is it gonna be a bit more gundam-ey, or is it gonna be Gurren Lagann levels of rediculousness?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:08:57 pm by Cthulufaic »

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 09:34:52 pm »

Holy crap, people willing to help.
Cool. It's kinda late, so I'm not gonna bother with the delegation of tasks just yet.
I made a quick write up, albeit, very subject to change, of the general world, and the mecha stuffs.
This ain't gonna be Gundam, for sure.
Anyway, here is a very, very, subject to change-not-very-specific-needs-refining overview of my idea. If you guys can come up with better names for anything here, lemme know:
As for the pace and complexity of the combat: I was thinking Armored Core for the pace, Small mechs go fast, big ones go slow, etc. I was thinking each part could be individually represented on the mech, instead of one whole entity, health/armor-wise. Some mechs will have hands, some mechs will have arms that are basically giant bludgeons.

I don't have much time to answer all your questions in depth tonight, but I will definitely devote more time to this tomorrow, if I can, now that I know there is interest.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 03:57:17 am »

I have one more question:
Is this wargame style (faceless pilots, mechs decided by equipment)
Or is it RPG style (pilots gain skills and are generally fully fledged characters)?
I'll start drawing up some ideas.

Sig

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 05:54:19 am »

I'm in the same boat as Cthulufaic. As for free time, I can always invent some. Also, GIANT ROBOTS.
So, brainstorming.What kind of mechs is this? There's two kinds, super and real, one being the crazy fantastical ones and the others being more realisticish (ie. not planet sized, etc.). I prefer the latter. What kind of mechs are we going for? Do they use hands or have arm mounted weapons? Or is the system barebones and adaptable, if so how flexible? What kind of detail are we measuring here? Mech hp and ammo, or each individual wire carefully weighed and budgeted for? Will the mechs gain experience like a character, or just the pilot? What is affected by the pilot's skill and what is affected by the mech's equipment? Most importantly, can I perform Titanfall-style terminations?

I have a little time this morning so I'll answer there questions and get the rest tonight:
I was thinking more real mechs, nothing planet sized, but they are certainly large (There is a general idea of what I mean in the word document I linked in my last post.)
I was thinking more humanoid robots, along the lines of Gurren Lagann but without faces, and not planet sized. I was thinking the heavier robots could start looking more brutish, kinda like giant metal gorillas, though.
I was thinking each arm, leg, body, head (If applicable) would have it's own HP and Armor, because I was also thinking it would be possible for players to throw different parts onto their mech as they please.
System is whatever we want it to be.
I was thinking the pilot itself would gain experience, and the mechs would just have to be upgraded with better parts to keep up with stronger things.
Pilot skill will generally affect aiming with your attacks, but I also want there to be special abilities to mix things up. I was thinking there would be three different kinds of abilities.
Abilities linked to your mech, like body slams,  charges, etc. These would be based off the type of mech you're operating.
Abilities linked to your pilot, like field repairs, maybe some buffs and debuffs, I dunno about these for sure yet.
And lastly, abilities linked to your weapons, and lemme tell you, I've got ideas for weapons out the arse. Rocket Hammers might have knockbacks, and generally high damage abilities, Handguns could have your basic shooting attack, then some fancy stuff, like unloading the whole thing in one round, or aiming to disable joints.
I was also thinking each firearm could have different kinds of ammo. Explosive rounds, armor piercing rounds, etc.
I haven't played Titanfall, but whatever this termination thing is, if you can make it work, do it.

I'll devote a couple hours to this tonight to figure out who I want to do what, if I can, but I don't even know what I want myself to do yet, but I have to go to school soon, so ill think about it during the day.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 07:44:45 am »

Exactly how big are Gurren Lagann mechs? I couldn't find a decent measure of size. I assume they fit into the 'cockpit takes up most of torso category'.Terminations: Once titans lose all their health they become doomed. In this state they lose health from an additional stripey bar and the pilot ejects. However punch them while the titan is occupied and doomed and you perform a termination. The ogre (the big one) rips off an arm and smashes the victim over the cockpit with it. The atlas (medium) pulls the pilot out and throws them away. The stryder (the speedy one, my favourite) pulls out the pilot and crushes them until chunky salsa takes precedence. Stuff like that, basically a way to down the pilot without them ejecting.
As for looks, I don't particularly care about them in a tabletop game. Just need to know whether they are the 'crush buildings' size or the '6 feet high' variety (although evidently not the latter).
For the brutishness, check out the Titanfall titan designs, particularly the ogre. For comparison, they are about 24 feet tall (roughly 7-8m).

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:06:53 am by Octobomb »
Sig

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:21:57 am »

Gurren Lagann mechs are like... I dunno. My idea for this game was that there would be multiple different weight classes of mechs, each falling into different weight and height ranges. I detailed this in the word document I linked in my post last night, though I will be making changes there, according to suggestions, probably. Would it be easier if I made a Google doc, so we could just look and change things as we please? Posting from school right now so I'm making this short, ill go into more detail tonight.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:57:11 am »

Though it would be convenient to know the general tech level of this.

Also is it gonna be souper srs realistic mech combat, or is it gonna be a bit more gundam-ey, or is it gonna be Gurren Lagann levels of rediculousness?

Sorry for putting off answering this, I'll do that now for it.

The tech level for this world is definitely advanced, but not TOO advanced. The tech level, as I see it, is Gurren Lagann episodes 1-16. No space travel, but definitely giant mechs. The setting is different too.

My idea for combat was somewhat serious? Like, nothing too out of the ability range of the mechs, so no Giga Drills, light mechs CAN fly and move fast, no combining, unless that could somehow work, etc.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 10:08:14 am »

So not really in the style of Battletech?

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 11:29:13 am »

Okay, so I'm thinking, since this is a tabletop rpg and not a vidya gaem, you don't need to have exact roles for the mechs - no need to limit the players to swords only, let them do that themselves. Let the game work around the player. So, tentative ideas for mechbuilding ahoy:
Sig

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 02:38:06 pm »

Okay, so I'm thinking, since this is a tabletop rpg and not a vidya gaem, you don't need to have exact roles for the mechs - no need to limit the players to swords only, let them do that themselves. Let the game work around the player. So, tentative ideas for mechbuilding ahoy:

Perhaps you're right and a more freeform system would be better, but I would still like to keep the different weight classifications in, perhaps we could have different parts for each weight, but maybe it could be condensed a bit, cut out the Micro and Titanic weights maybe?
Lemme chuck out my own idea to compare to your own.

Legs: The base of the mech, determines weight limit, ground speed, jumping ability
Chassis/Torso: Where the pilot sits, determines number of slots for computational and optical things? For some reason I feel like I want to avoid our mechs having heads.
Arms: This is where your weapons go, of course. I was thinking we could have two kinds of arms: one with hands for actually using weapons, or grappling, and ones with giant studded/spiked bits on the end for punching. I was also thinking, that, for weapons, each arm could have a max weight for weapons. Like, lets say we have two arms, both with a weight limit of 10 units. You could equip a weapon up to 10 units in each hand, but if you had a weapon that required 20 units, you could use it with both hands?
Secondary Weapons is a cool idea as you've presented it, perhaps the amount of these is determinable by the arms we equip.
Powerplant/Generator: Your idea is good and gives me this one: What if we just made it kind of an extra buff, like rings and stuff in MMOs, you might have a power core that boosts your computers, or legs, as you said, or we could make it a major boost that kind of determines the 'class' of your mech.
External Slot: This idea is pretty good as it. I dunno about additional power plants, but maneuvering jets for quick dashes on the ground, or maybe even extra storage for weapons, so we can switch in combat?
Internal: I've been thinking about this kind of thing all day. Additional ammo could be cool, also: what if it were possible to store explosives here?

So, I've been thinking about the way to handle Armor in this game. My plan is that each individual part has it's own armor and HP stats, and when HP hits zero, the part fails and has to be repaired.
Armor has stumped me though. I've seen it done so many ways in so many games. I want armor to be a thing you have to plan around, not a simple inconvenience, so when you're preparing for a mission, you think "Better bring some AP rounds" instead of "Ill just need to hit it a couple more times".
The best way to represent my idea, though up for debate, is having a flat damage reduction as armor. That way, little pistols and machineguns will bounce off the thicker armors, unless loaded with AP rounds, and snipers/explosives will have a role to play.

Tell me what you guys think of the ideas I've presented, and ill throw up a Google doc tonight to hopefully celebrate the first major decision we've made as a group.

EDIT: I also completely failed to transmit my vision of this game's seriousness.
Basically, I wanna do cool stuff, but in a serious way. One thing I really want to do is mech sized rocket hammers.
And robot fist fights, and wrestling, and tons of stuff. I want to see robots with swords, axes, machineguns, cannons, spears, lances, sniper rifles, gatling guns, flamethrowers, all sorts of awesome stuff.

Also, I realized the lore i've made for this game is complete ass and it needs work. I want to keep the world, but I want to figure out something better than a giant Planetside with mechs.

Also Also, names, we need to do better names. Plated Souls is okay, I guess, but I don't want to be the only opinion. The mechs right now are called Souls, but I don't know if that's a good idea either. Also, our world doesn't have a name at all. So suggestions, suggestions, suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:45:35 pm by Facekillz058 »