Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins never coming mounted, please help!  (Read 2494 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins never coming mounted, please help!
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:40:10 pm »

Is it because my genned world is young (130 ish years)? Goblins haven't had time to tame any species?

I don't know what else it could be, I am running 34.11 starter pack, and the only related bug to goblins not coming mounted (the death of their leader) was supposedly fixed in this version.

Non-mounted goblins are a joke, my fort has no reason to continue if they are never going to potentially show up with archers riding elk birds or warriors riding cave dragons.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:34:35 am by TheFreshPrince »

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What determines how often goblins bring mounts?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 05:16:51 pm »

Can the goblins just randomly not ever show up with mounts? Or is it some kind of bug if they do not.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:40:28 am by TheFreshPrince »

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblins never coming mounted, please help!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 12:41:04 am »

Or is there some way to check in the RAWS for my goblin civ if they have any species tamed?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 04:14:16 am »

It sounds like you could do with the Fortress Defence mod (check the modding forum): you seek stronger sieges.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 04:31:17 am »

While modding is a way to tackle this problem, I would prefer to get stronger goblin civilizations in vanilla df2014.
I played a few forts in the newest version so far the best the gobbos did was bring some trolls. They neither bring weaponmasters nor generals nor mounts. Sometimes they don't even have access to iron but that's probably a world gen problem.

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 11:10:54 am »

I worry that this Fortress Defense mod I've heard of will swing things too far in the other direction lol

So no one knows of any reason why goblins wouldn't be coming with mounts? Is it just chance that they aren't bringing them?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 12:17:31 pm »

I haven't had any goblins show up with mounts in 40.xx, but I'e only had one or 2 decent sieges with more than 10 goblins. And even those  are coming very often. Back in earlier versions, goblins only had mounts if one of their leaders had managed to tame that sort of animal in worldgen. And if you killed/captured that leader, they wouldn't get any more mounts.

I don't know if it still works that way in 40.XX, but it's possible that something has changed in worldgen that makes taming mount-capable animals less likely, or not even possible.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 12:27:04 pm »

Does a longer world history give goblins more time to tame creatures?

I'm thinking because my world is young (only 130 ish years) that the goblins just haven't had time to do any taming or something.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 10:06:18 pm »

From the legends, I know that the leader has only tamed cave croc, giant olm, and giant toad. Will goblins come with only these mounts?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 12:17:49 am »

Can you check legends mid-fortress?

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 12:52:25 am »

Can you check legends mid-fortress?

I copy the game and abandon. There's utility that can check mid-fortress, though.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 01:03:27 am »

What do I copy and how exactly do I do it and then restore it?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 03:29:07 am »

Go to the directory where you installed Dwarf Fortress, then go to the data directory, and inside that, go to the save directory. You should see a 'current' directory, and one or more 'regionX' where 'X' is a number (region1, region2, etc). If you've only created one world, it will be region1. If you've created more than one, pick whichever one you have been playing. Now copy the region directory to something else, like 'region1copy'. Then start up df and continue playing and pick region1copy (or whatever you called it). Abandon the fort and then continue again with that world in legends mode.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 06:29:01 pm »

Maybe the goblin general that tames beasts either died or hasn't been promoted yet... either way, you probably won't get any beasties from sieges for awhile...