Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help: Make fortress mark on map disappear  (Read 1213 times)

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
Need help: Make fortress mark on map disappear
« on: October 03, 2014, 01:17:10 pm »

Hello!

1. How can I make a fortress disappear on the map? I want to reclaim the area, but I want it to be larger. My initial fortress territory was small, and when I abandoned it I thought of reclaiming it, but also some additional territory beside it?

2. Also there is a fortress I only used to build a bridge to an island to connect it to the mainland, so I can trade with other races in another fortress, which is in the middle of the island. Apparently the bridge is large enough for wagons, but the game don't seem to realize that the island is now connected. How can I erase the fortressbridge on the map, so only the constructions will remain. Eg. everything I built remains, but it is a free area not a dwarffortress, as if the bridge would have been present after worldgen.
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Need help: Make fortress mark on map disappear
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 01:30:01 pm »

1. If you want to get rid of the fortress, you will have to regenerate the world from its original parameters (i.e. roll back the world to before the fortress was ever created).

2. Not possible - the game only keeps track of terrain modifications inside offloaded sites. Also, I don't think built sites even count toward figuring out area accessibility for civilizations...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 01:37:13 pm »

Also, I don't think built sites even count toward figuring out area accessibility for civilizations...

I distinctly remember someone causing an island to be connected for trade simply by embarking such that the embark area joined the island to the mainland.  No actual construction was necessary.

I'll generally defer to Quietust in all things DF.  But in this case there was a pretty extensive thread on the topic, i think with screenshots, and I cant imagine the ideas being fabricated out of whole cloth.  Also, seems corroborated by towerdude here.

Embark areas seem to act as passable land as far as providing connectivity for other sites.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:49:31 pm »

I distinctly remember someone causing an island to be connected for trade simply by embarking such that the embark area joined the island to the mainland.  No actual construction was necessary.
I remember that thread as well, though I believe it happened back in 0.28.181.40d, and the way neighbor status is calculated during embark has definitely changed since then.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 11:58:50 pm »

I remember that thread as well, though I believe it happened back in 0.28.181.40d, and the way neighbor status is calculated during embark has definitely changed since then.
World Map, and Constructions

Tree trunks in reply #10 implies DF2014.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 05:31:31 pm »

The 2. question is solved. Anyone knows an answer tó the first, I don't want tó regenerate the world.
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 05:43:15 pm »

Cant be done, unless there is a memory or save hack to remove sites. 

If there was, it would likely remove your previous fortress entirely.

Alternately, maybe what you actually want is the Embark Anywhere utility?  This will let you embark on top of goblin sites, human towns, necro towers, vaults, whatever.  It should work for you in this case, though I've not tried it.