Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire interactions  (Read 1022 times)

Dervish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire interactions
« on: October 02, 2014, 11:43:30 am »

I'm kind of interested in modding in some new vampire interactions, not sure exactly what is possible, whats been attempted before, and only have a rough idea how it all works.. Here's a few ideas.

BLOOD

So much blood for Amok, and so little vampires can play with it atm.

1) Make blood barrels drinkable to vampires. I don't know if you could make them prefer them to actual kills, but it would be nice. Maybe give it a drinkblood tag, have a nodrinkblood tag for dwarves, and have the vampire curse remove it. Let the blood in the barrels give some of whatever actual kills provide for them. Maybe have them seek available barrels before they go into hunting mode, so if they find one, they calm back down.

2) Have a reaction to make a blood container of some sort that emulates a sleeping creature to sate a vamps thirst, or try to trick it into feeding in sight of others. Kinda like those blood sausages they make for mosquito medical testing, but more dwarfy. A less acceptable version of a blood barrel, in the sense that it will set off alarm if the vamp is seen draining it.

3) Have a reaction to make blood wine, that would both feed a vamp, and booze it up. Maybe have the wine give a syndrome such as in this thread, that would remove the nodrink tag from vamps, giving them a taste for booze again.

4) These would all give uses for trader bought blood, but if you needed more than they bring, you could add a "blood-let" reaction to a farmers workshop, to drain some blood from animals into a barrel. I don't know how well a reaction like this could be made though, whether you can check a creatures blood level %, or single out specific creatures for letting, or tell if a creature had recently been let through raws.

5) Make vampires more involved with world blood. Blood spilled on the ground? Lets look at it, admire it, think about it. Maybe make them more involved in cleaning jobs that involve blood. Let military vampires get a little blood every time they attack, sating some of their bloodlust, and speeding up 20 minute stranglefests.

6) Some way to spread the fun around. It's too hard to spread the curse around at the moment. Make it easier to spread through bloody water. Maybe give vampire blood a syndrome so it affects a certain percentage of dwarfs if they muck around in it, or spend too much time covered in it. Or give dwarfs who are bitten but don't die a chance to acquire it. Even if this is possible with raws though, I'm not sure how it would affect worldgen.

I'd probably go with a reaction to make it spreadable instead. Some way to get some blood from a dwarf, and build that and some gnomeblight into a drinking source with a syndrome. I'm thinking a Font, a Blood Font if you will... Would it work like a well, be pipe fed? I don't know! If it was the only water source, it'd be a great way to infect a whole fort. Or to indoctrinate a select few into an upper class, feeding on the peons if it was in the inner sanctum.

SILVER

There's no real interaction with vampires and silver at the moment. I feel like there would be an asset to making silver more reactive to vampires.

1) Silver weapons should definitely have more damage to vampires, to help deal with their crazy strength. Even more if its an edged weapon... diminished effect with alloys. Wielding it would lower their damage.

2) Silver armor similarly could give some boost defending against vamp attacks, or if a vamp was made to wear it as part of a squad, it would weaken it considerably, maybe give it a syndrome.

3) Vamps could be made averse to crossing doorways or floors of silver, crossing only when there's no other path, or just averse when feeding. Maybe the more silver the more adverse. This would let you give your most important dwarves silver doors, or shit, whole silver rooms off the silver hallway in the silver district when you really don't want them to die mysteriously.

4) Give vamps an outright dislike of silver or anything made of it, that leaks into their prefs sometimes. Maybe a low chance at getting a flee reaction from a silver statue. Little things to help us feel out a vamp when we don't want to out it with dfhack or DT.

5) Maybe a reaction with silver, garlic, and golden salve to make something to turn a vampire back to a normal dwarf. For those rare occasions where you don't want a sycophantic tyrannic vampire upper class, and just want your mayor to stop eating people. Could happen... It would probably be something you would have to stick in one of those sleeping dwarf blood sausage traps, and hope it took the bait.

MISC

Some miscellaneous stuff that would add to the vampire experience.

1) Wooden spears to the upper body could do massive damage, making danger rooms and early or elven invasions a real liability for vampires.

2) Vampires could have an unusual interest in coffins that could sometimes bleed into their preferences making them more visible when no cheat hunting. Similarly, an aversion to garlic.

3) Vampires could have a rougher time when recovering from cave adaptation, or could permanently have it, or have stronger versions of the sickness, or random variations of all 3, 2, 1 or none.

4) There could be an expensive drink to allow vampires to continue leveling up stats, idea again coming from this thread.

I'm not sure how much of this is actually modable. I'd love some feedback from modders in the know, and whether any would want to work on something like this. And if there would be interest if a mod was made, as well as any other ideas that would add to it..

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire interactions
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:42:46 am »

1) You could make blood drinkable by designating it as alcohol, but then everyone would drink it. Making it temporarily remove the bloodsucker or NO_DRINK tag will then allow vampires to sate their thirsts through nonviolent means (or simply take away the desire, in the former case.) And you'd need to make it so vampires actually drink alcohol in order for that to work, typically by adding a syndrome to dwarf blood that temporarily removes NO_DRINK from the vampire - that way, after they've had one drink of blood from a dwarf, they'll drink alcohol for a while instead - if they choose to drink from a blood barrel (no guarantee of that), they will then renew the tag removal so that it will stay removed until they run out of blood barrels (or simply decide to have some plump helmet wine instead.) (or all your other dwarves hog all the blood, though I guess you could sequester it in a vampire-only burrow.)

2) You could make a bloodbag creature via reactions, but I don't believe there's any way to force a vampire to target it.

4) You can make a reaction produce the blood of a creature, but actually getting a specific creature corralled into your workshop and getting the reaction to produce that specific creature's blood would be difficult. Or it might be as easy as making an animal milkable for blood. In fact, that's probably your best bet.

5) Not possible.

6) This can be done quickly and easily - in fact it's been done many times before. If you make it spread by bite as with werewolves, I believe that it will spread when the vampire attacks people in worldgen.

---

1) Very easy to do. You can copy the vulnerability straight from werewolves.

2) You can't make silver armor defend more against vampires, but you can give silver a syndrome which weakens vampires on contact. I think you can then apply it via the itemsyndrome DFHack plugin, though I don't know if it'll work out of the box in the vanilla game - probably not.

3) Not possible.

4) Not possible.

5) Doable - you can use a syndrome to remove all the tokens that make a vampire act like it does, but to my knowledge you can't force a syndrome to end through raw editing alone, but I might be wrong. There might be something DFHack could do here, or you could use a syndrome that the vampire periodically applies to itself to renew the vampire curse only so long as a certain condition is met - specifically, the presence (or absence) of a specific tag. Then, by removing (or adding) that specific tag, the vampire would be unable to automatically reapply the curse to itself and it would revert to normalcy. The thing with sticking it in a bloodbag trap would work too, since you can add syndromes to a creature's blood and they will affect vampires.

---

1) Not possible. Most you could do is make vampires weak to wood in general.

2) Not possible.

3) Not really possible. You use the cave adaptation counter as a conditional trigger for syndrome effects, (ie, when it reaches this stage of cave adaptation, apply so-and-so effect) but I don't know how that would help with what you want.

4) Yes, it's easily done. You can even use the thing from that thread.

Bear in mind that when I say something isn't possible, I mean that it can't be done with raw editing. Memory hacking is a whole different deal, but lots of what you're talking about has yet to be figured out as far as that goes.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:53:47 am by Suds Zimmerman »
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD

Dervish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 05:41:17 am »

Thank you very much for the feedback. I'll stick to what's possible, and see what else I can think up while I'm playing with the raws.

Dervish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 10:22:38 am »

I'm working on a bloodworm type creature that can be milked for blood. It's kinda working so far. I need it to sleep sometimes though, to test if it would be suitable for feeding off of, and there's no tags that I see to make it do so. I can make it unconscious periodically with a syndrome, but I'm not sure how to make the worms automatically affected by a syndrome.

Is it possible to make a creature use a breath attack without actually having a target? Like have it fart out a little gas cloud now and again? I was thinking they could be vulnerable to their own gasses, and then nod off for a bit.

The other thing I was thinking is I could make em root out and eat bug vermin, and those give em a syndrome when eaten that makes em sleepy. I'm not sure if I could give the whole bug vermin class the syndrome though, or if I have to look for all bugs with the class tag, and add the syndrome to em individually. If I did go down this route, where would I attach the syndrome to the bugs to make em work on ingestion? Like would it work if I attached it to their blood, or do I attach it somewhere else if the entire creature is consumed?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:24:41 am by Dervish »

Suds Zimmerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 02:21:50 pm »

You can make a creature use an interaction on itself by providing no usage hint and adding [CDI:TARGET:A:SELF_ONLY] under [CAN_DO_INTERACTION:ETC ETC] in the creature entry. I'd advise you read up on interactions on the wiki.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
DORFAMUNDA - NECROMUNDA DF MOD