Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flashover: Sci-fi novella (and cover art)  (Read 2360 times)

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flashover: Sci-fi novella (and cover art)
« on: October 02, 2014, 07:40:14 am »

So, I started writing this as an experiment: what if science fiction had plausible science in it?

Well, here we are.

Book summary: Darren Swenson is a normal teenager, and an excellent coder. He's curious, he's intelligent, and he's madly in love with science and technology. What will happen when he invents the first molecular machines? Will he use them for personal gain, or to uplift humanity to new heights and usher the dawn of a new era?

The first three chapters are available for free at Wattpad.

The entire novel is available at Amazon and Smashwords.

If you like this but can't afford it: PM me and I'll send you a full copy.

I also made the cover in GIMP:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:02:32 am by voodooattack »
A Dance With Ice and Fire
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Flashover: Sci-fi novella (and cover art)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 09:59:26 pm »

Read a portion of the first chapter. I felt somewhat intrigued but was a bit turned off by the boy genius cliché. Reminds me of Michael Chrichton's Prey, if only because it's about tiny robots.

Nanomachines, son.

bucket

• Bay Watcher
  • i am a bucket.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 11:27:31 pm »

Are you finding success with Smashwords? I was looking for an e-book equivalent to Bandcamp.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 04:39:05 am »

Read a portion of the first chapter. I felt somewhat intrigued but was a bit turned off by the boy genius cliché. Reminds me of Michael Chrichton's Prey, if only because it's about tiny robots.

Nanomachines, son.

I have no idea why so many people find that a turn off to be honest.

Are you finding success with Smashwords? I was looking for an e-book equivalent to Bandcamp.

It's quite amazing really. Too bad PayPal doesn't work for receiving money in Egypt and I have to do dodgy stuff to get my payments. It's excellent otherwise though.

My books are automatically published practically everywhere, except for Amazon. I published them there myself.
An open-world roguelike based off the world of "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 07:27:30 am »

I have no idea why so many people find that a turn off to be honest.

Because it's a very overdone trope. I've yet to see it done well. Characterization ends up being a huge stumbling block for someone writing a character like that. They either end up being unrealistically less intelligent than they are made out to be, annoyingly perfect, preachy, "normal boy who just happens to be really smart," one-dimensional, or some combination thereof.

I sort of wonder at the original post's musing of "So, I started writing this as an experiment: what if science fiction had plausible science in it?" While I understand some science fiction literature can be downright bonkers at times - and sure, sometimes more modern writers (or very old pulp fiction SF writers) toss plausibility out of the window when they write something based on misconceptions or pseudoscience - "plausible science" is the very basis of the genre. It defines a large swathe of published science fiction. No small number of science fiction writers past and present have often been involved in the field of science themselves.

Space Opera and Science Fantasy really aren't the same majority of work in the written word that they are in Hollywood "SciFi." Though that feels like it is really starting to change, for better or worse.

Anyway, I might check this out sometime soon once I take a break from my own writing. The premise seems interesting enough (though I'm not sure what being a good coder has to do with designing nanomachines: that's more of an engineering problem). I enjoy fiction that revolves around the tumult of a change in era from scientific breakthroughs. I'm curious as to how much happens in 97 pages!  :D
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 10:56:05 am »

Because it's a very overdone trope. I've yet to see it done well. Characterization ends up being a huge stumbling block for someone writing a character like that. They either end up being unrealistically less intelligent than they are made out to be, annoyingly perfect, preachy, "normal boy who just happens to be really smart," one-dimensional, or some combination thereof.

I see your point. In the case of this story, it's an exponential curve of progress until the end of chapter three, where something unexpected happens.

I sort of wonder at the original post's musing of "So, I started writing this as an experiment: what if science fiction had plausible science in it?" While I understand some science fiction literature can be downright bonkers at times - and sure, sometimes more modern writers (or very old pulp fiction SF writers) toss plausibility out of the window when they write something based on misconceptions or pseudoscience - "plausible science" is the very basis of the genre. It defines a large swathe of published science fiction. No small number of science fiction writers past and present have often been involved in the field of science themselves.

Space Opera and Science Fantasy really aren't the same majority of work in the written word that they are in Hollywood "SciFi." Though that feels like it is really starting to change, for better or worse.

I originally wrote 'actual science' but changed it to 'plausible' later, for fear of being misunderstood. This story explores the science behind his inventions in places, and explores the concepts of some of the inventions in agonising detail. So that's what I meant. It's basically an engineer's wet dream.

Anyway, I might check this out sometime soon once I take a break from my own writing. The premise seems interesting enough (though I'm not sure what being a good coder has to do with designing nanomachines: that's more of an engineering problem). I enjoy fiction that revolves around the tumult of a change in era from scientific breakthroughs. I'm curious as to how much happens in 97 pages!  :D

That's for you to discover, then. :P

The story is short but spans many years. I tend to skip a lot, which is something I've been harshly criticised for. I deserve that I think.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 02:48:29 pm »

I see your point. In the case of this story, it's an exponential curve of progress until the end of chapter three, where something unexpected happens.

Hm, I guess I'll have to judge that for myself then. Once I have a little money in the ol' bank account first, that is. :P

I originally wrote 'actual science' but changed it to 'plausible' later, for fear of being misunderstood. This story explores the science behind his inventions in places, and explores the concepts of some of the inventions in agonising detail. So that's what I meant. It's basically an engineer's wet dream.

Ah, I see what you mean. You're right, most authors don't quite go into the high level details of science. No more than they have to, really. Now I'm a bit more intrigued if you manage to pull it off fluidly or if it feels bit like jarring slipstream.

That's for you to discover, then. :P

The story is short but spans many years. I tend to skip a lot, which is something I've been harshly criticised for. I deserve that I think.

I don't see why you would be harshly criticized for it. Unless you mean that you skip details that the reader needs to know and then hamfist it in during chapters taking place well beyond said details... and even then, that's really only a major gripe if you're inelegant about it.

It's absolutely acceptable and standard to skip periods of time in which nothing that needs detailing is expounded on. So long as the reader is sure that "oh yeah, we're a few years in the future," there should be no problem with it. Plenty of very good writers often do the same thing. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to find many decent writers who didn't do this as often as not.

But yeah, I'll check it out some time when I have the spare cash. I do like to support fellow science fiction writers! Especially when they hail from the same country as my best friend. :P

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 04:13:51 pm »

Ah, I see what you mean. You're right, most authors don't quite go into the high level details of science. No more than they have to, really. Now I'm a bit more intrigued if you manage to pull it off fluidly or if it feels bit like jarring slipstream.

I worry about this part. Most programmers who read this enjoyed it, actual scientists not as much, and most laymen didn't get it at all. I guess that's what I get for targeting a very specific niche, but I don't regret it. It was an interesting experience overall, and I enjoyed writing it.

I still could work on my storytelling though. I feel like I come a bit short in that department. Input by other writers is certainly something that I'd appreciate.

I don't see why you would be harshly criticized for it. Unless you mean that you skip details that the reader needs to know and then hamfist it in during chapters taking place well beyond said details... and even then, that's really only a major gripe if you're inelegant about it.

It's absolutely acceptable and standard to skip periods of time in which nothing that needs detailing is expounded on. So long as the reader is sure that "oh yeah, we're a few years in the future," there should be no problem with it. Plenty of very good writers often do the same thing. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to find many decent writers who didn't do this as often as not.

I agree, although in my case, it's a little more complicated. I had to compress decades of time into 97 pages.

Most people don't like the wunderkind cliché, but what they don't realise is that the story spans that long. Granted, he starts out early, but he gets to experiment and study a lot in the timespan between chapters.

But yeah, I'll check it out some time when I have the spare cash. I do like to support fellow science fiction writers! Especially when they hail from the same country as my best friend. :P

If that represents a problem, I can send you a copy in a private message.

I'm glad you have a best friend from my country, now that's unusual.

By the way, do you have any published work? I'd love to read it. We can exchange stories. :P

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 06:35:08 pm »

I worry about this part. Most programmers who read this enjoyed it, actual scientists not as much, and most laymen didn't get it at all. I guess that's what I get for targeting a very specific niche, but I don't regret it. It was an interesting experience overall, and I enjoyed writing it.

I program as a hobby, so perhaps I'd be more inclined to enjoy it than others.  :P

I still could work on my storytelling though. I feel like I come a bit short in that department. Input by other writers is certainly something that I'd appreciate.

When I get around to checking it out, I'll try giving you some input. If you're interested in the art of writing itself, I'll give the bog standard writer's recommendations: On Writing, by Stephen King, and The Elements of Style, 4th Edition, by Strunk and White. The former has a biographical section that may or may not be of any interest, and the latter has some "boring" - but essential - grammar-centric sections, but both contain loads of great wisdom on writing and publishing.

I agree, although in my case, it's a little more complicated. I had to compress decades of time into 97 pages.

Fair enough. That's what I'm curious about. 97 pages is quite short; novelette length, really. I consider The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett to be a short book, and it comes in at about ~200 pages with a medium-sized typeface in paperback. But length alone means very little, since some of Asimov's best works were novellas and novelettes. And he's my favorite writer of all time.

Most people don't like the wunderkind cliché, but what they don't realise is that the story spans that long. Granted, he starts out early, but he gets to experiment and study a lot in the timespan between chapters.

I think it's just that people are highly critical of cliches. For good reason, of course, but that's not say it can't be done well, just that it often isn't. I'll reserve judgment on that, I suppose.

If that represents a problem, I can send you a copy in a private message.

It shouldn't be, it just might take a little while. I should have a reliable source of income relatively soon.

I'm glad you have a best friend from my country, now that's unusual.

No doubt! Especially given I live in North America. :P It's hardly an interesting story though, but we've known each other for nearly a full quarter of our lives now, give or take. I have a certain fondness for Egypt (I hope I didn't misunderstand you earlier. You are from Egypt, right?) for that reason alone.

By the way, do you have any published work? I'd love to read it. We can exchange stories. :P

Not as of yet! Otherwise I'd take you up on that haha. I'm working on changing that, but the battle against perfectionism and other bad habits isn't an easy one. I'm largely looking to break into publishing in e-magazines and such. Places like Daily Science Fiction, Escape Pod, Lightspeed, Asimovs, et al.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:37:17 pm by inEQUALITY »

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 07:44:12 pm »

I program as a hobby, so perhaps I'd be more inclined to enjoy it than others.  :P

You'll hopefully like it then. :)

When I get around to checking it out, I'll try giving you some input. If you're interested in the art of writing itself, I'll give the bog standard writer's recommendations: On Writing, by Stephen King, and The Elements of Style, 4th Edition, by Strunk and White. The former has a biographical section that may or may not be of any interest, and the latter has some "boring" - but essential - grammar-centric sections, but both contain loads of great wisdom on writing and publishing.

Thanks. I'll look into them soon.

Fair enough. That's what I'm curious about. 97 pages is quite short; novelette length, really. I consider The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett to be a short book, and it comes in at about ~200 pages with a medium-sized typeface in paperback. But length alone means very little, since some of Asimov's best works were novellas and novelettes. And he's my favorite writer of all time.

He's my favourite too. My first book is about 200 pages, but it's… different to say the least.

I think it's just that people are highly critical of cliches. For good reason, of course, but that's not say it can't be done well, just that it often isn't. I'll reserve judgment on that, I suppose.

Yeah. I'll be frank and I'll say I don't think I did it that well; but I think I learned my lesson.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It shouldn't be, it just might take a little while. I should have a reliable source of income relatively soon.

That's all right with me. I just hope you review it when you buy it. Negative or positive. It's really hard to get people to even bother giving an opinion.

No doubt! Especially given I live in North America. :P It's hardly an interesting story though, but we've known each other for nearly a full quarter of our lives now, give or take. I have a certain fondness for Egypt (I hope I didn't misunderstand you earlier. You are from Egypt, right?) for that reason alone.

Yes, born and raised. :)

Not as of yet! Otherwise I'd take you up on that haha. I'm working on changing that, but the battle against perfectionism and other bad habits isn't an easy one. I'm largely looking to break into publishing in e-magazines and such. Places like Daily Science Fiction, Escape Pod, Lightspeed, Asimovs, et al.

If there's something I learnt from my struggle with perfectionism; it's that nothing is perfect. You win some, and you lose some; but I completely understand your predicament. I've scrapped more than I've written so far.

Good luck getting your work published! I'll be the first to review it on my site. :D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:58:00 am by voodooattack »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 02:35:33 pm »

Some random thoughts:

Everything is cliche. There is nothing new under the sun and every story has been told. The important parts are in the details of the retelling, and how you as an author put your spin on the tale.

That said, stories have to be driven by a set narrative structure, and the entry vehicle into that structure is the protagonist. Readers must have a protagonist they can identify with to get involved in the struggle themselves. That's part of the reason why the "boy genius" trope falls flat often, but the "boy with a destiny" and things like that have lasted a long time. Very few people are gifted, which is the very definition of the term... so they're unlikely to find much in common with the protagonist. On the other hand, lots of people (readers!) are leading normal or modest lives and wish for something greater. That desire leads us to tell stories, and is a perfect emotional point for people to identify with the protagonist.

Re: "actual science" is a scale of "hard vs soft science fiction." "Hard" sf tends to focus on realistic principles as we understand them. "Soft" sf is generally grounded in familiar technologies but adds more fantastic elements that further the plot in their own ways, somehow. For example: Larry Niven's Ringworld uses understood physics and engineering principles to describe how the titular ringworld structure is able to function. Star Trek's warp drive is much softer and works on technobabble, but serves the plot purpose of "getting people to far places" without much impact.

To expand on both of those, most people who are reading a work of fiction want emotional escapism through a character they can relate to and plot devices they can identify with that doesn't pull them out of the story, or break their immersion/suspension of disbelief. That's the risk you run with a niche audience by delving too far into specifics of a technology... few people are involved enough in a particular field of study to easily relate to the story details. Some people are, and that's great, but you do end up limiting your audience appeal if you target such a niche group.

Final example: Schlock Mercenary is a webcomic space opera that's on the "hard" end of sf. One of the major plot elements of the primary arc is the "teraport" that uses small black holes to create very temporary but stable wormholes that bypass the standard "stargate" technology that galactic civilizations runs on. It's a very important concept, but as a plot device, most of the impacts it has are explored when the inventor unleashes his creation to the public and ends up causing trillions of deaths in the outbreak of war on a galactic scale. They're grand concepts, but readers have all made some mistake in their lives that started out with good intentions and went very, very wrong. Thus, even though the inventor is a mad genius who mentally operates on a level above many readers, and most in the story... we still have that sense of regret and guilt to relate to when he's trying to cope with what he's done.

That... ended up longer than I thought. But I wanted to chime in on some stuff, as I've got some of the same problems with my current novel I'm working on and hoped it might help.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

voodooattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 06:10:03 am »

That... ended up longer than I thought. But I wanted to chime in on some stuff, as I've got some of the same problems with my current novel I'm working on and hoped it might help.

Thank you. You shed some lights on some very good points.

Maybe in the future I won't assume that everyone wants to read things the way I prefer to read them. It certainly taught me a lesson in humility: a smaller niche means a smaller audience.