Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windows Executable  (Read 1461 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Windows Executable
« on: October 02, 2014, 06:33:49 am »

So I was wondering, is there a .exe of the latest (unstable) version laying around? I'm on Linux at home, so I compiled the last version there, but I'd like to have a windows version for the computer at the university, and of course I can't install an SVN client there because I don't have admin privilege, so I can't follow the instructions in the stickied thread.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Executable
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:03:30 am »

So I was wondering, is there a .exe of the latest (unstable) version laying around? I'm on Linux at home, so I compiled the last version there, but I'd like to have a windows version for the computer at the university, and of course I can't install an SVN client there because I don't have admin privilege, so I can't follow the instructions in the stickied thread.

A .zip containing the Windows version is available on the stickied thread.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 07:04:22 am »

Yeah, but except if I missed a link, it's the last stable version, which doesn't let you play in multiple cities among other things.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 03:40:36 pm »

Yeah, but except if I missed a link, it's the last stable version, which doesn't let you play in multiple cities among other things.

Is a compiler available at your university? If so, then download the sources on your computer, load it on the college's computers then compile.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 12:33:27 pm »

Hi... I'm on vacation just online for a bit, kinda amazed nobody else offered the correct answer to this question...

The .exe for the most recent SVN build is right there in the most recent SVN build, in the workspaces directory, and then either the Release or Debug directory. The Release build was compiled to be optimized to save disk space ("-Os" as a GCC option) and the Debug build was compiled to be optimized for debugging ("-Og" as a GCC option), although I strip the debug symbols from Debug builds before uploading (saving 20 megabytes of space), and also compress both .exe files using the latest version of UPX to make them smaller.

Anyway the source code and executables from revisions 849-855 are identical. The changes in revisions 850-855 are in non-source code files. Revision 850 changed an XML file and this introduced an incompatibility with savegames from revision 849. But anyway revisions 850-855 all have savegames that are compatible with each other. And executables for Windows can be found in both the workspaces/Release and workspaces/Debug directories. On Linux or Mac OS X you compile it yourself using autotools (autoconf+automake) and GCC (basically you use the configure and make commands).

It also apparently compiles correctly in Clang on Mac OS X, and also compiles correctly on MS Visual C++ on Windows (at least on Visual C++ 2010, not sure about earlier versions, none of the developers use earlier versions of Visual C++ as far as I know). The Windows executables are right there as part of the project along with the source code in the SVN repository, something that this project has actually been doing for quite awhile, but executables for other operating systems are not included in SVN, and including executables for other operating systems is probably a bad idea because then they might not work on your system... the current system using autoconf and automake to check for dependencies and build an executable that works on your system is what works best for UNIX-based systems like Linux and Mac OS X. For instance some people might install SDL2 and SDL2_mixer to get sound, and others might not. The autoconf script detects which dependencies you have and builds the game appropriately, allowing you to build it without any SDL dependencies and disabling sound if you don't have them installed, while building it with SDL support if you have all the dependencies installed on your system.

So yeah the current Windows executables are in the workspaces/Release and workspaces/Debug directories in the SVN repository for Liberal Crime Squad on SourceForge, currently at revision 855 but with the executables last modified in revision 849 (recompiling them in revisions 850-855 would've been unnecessary since the source code ITSELF was not modified in those revisions, those revisions mostly aimed at improving compatibility with UNIX-based systems, especially with Mac OS X, and with fixing some stuff in the documentation).

Alright, back to vacation for me... I'm in Vienna now, I fly to Sicily on Monday... I have high-speed Internet SOME of the time here in Vienna, maybe 1 or 2 or 3 hours a day. I have no idea whether or not I'll have Internet in Sicily and I'll be there like 2 weeks. OK I just checked the website of the place we'll be staying in Sicily, apparently their website says they give "direct ADSL access" in each room so I'll probably have Internet but I'm not sure if they have WiFi routers or if I need to get an Ethernet cable. I don't have an Ethernet cable with me and I'm not sure if they use a different kind in Sicily than the U.S. I'll find out once I get there. :P
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 04:38:46 am »

Yeah, thanks!