Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing Bridges?  (Read 422 times)

Tacit_Exit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Removing Bridges?
« on: July 16, 2007, 03:21:00 pm »

First of all INCREDIBLY AMAZINGLY AWSOME GAME! More praise to come, but for now . . .

I've hit the underground river and I've only got a small amount of space on the other side to run a bridge to. Since I want to have a grand bride for the main entry can I just build a temporary bridge then remove it and replace later with something a little more upscale?

The bridge doesn't seem to react as a 'building' so I'm at a loss as to how to get it removed.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Removing Bridges?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »

Try using t?
It may work.
Eh?
Eh!

Tacit_Exit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 03:44:00 pm »

Yup that did it  :)

TYVM.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 03:52:00 pm »

Yes, 't' will do it - your temp bridge is already built, yes?  If not, make sure you build it 1-2 spaces above/below where you want your real bridge so it can remain standing while the new one is built - otherwise you run the risk of stranding a few little guys on the other side.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tacit_Exit:
<STRONG>I've hit the underground river and I've only got a small amount of space on the other side to run a bridge to.

...snip...

The bridge doesn't seem to react as a 'building' so I'm at a loss as to how to get it removed.</STRONG>

glad you got it working, but it sounds like you share the same misconception that i had, the first time i wanted to build a bridge.  you dont actually need solid ground under both edges.  you can just build a bridge out over the river, or over nothingness, as long as ONE side of it is NEXT TO solid ground, or next to another bridge.

also glad you got the dissassembly thing figured out.  but if you ever do want to retract or raise (you cant build something under a retracted/raised bridge, even if its up) a bridge, you have to build mechanisms in a mechanics workshop, and use them to build a lever and then link that lever to the bridge.

Tacit_Exit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 05:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dwarfu:
[QB] . . .make sure you build it 1-2 spaces above/below where you want your real bridge so it can remain standing while the new one is built. . .QB]

Actually I,m planning to make a 6 wide Dark Stone bridge, so I guess my little dudes will have to be stranded for a bit  :(

It's all good but I've got a temp. base going near the cave entrance and nothing going one the other side of the bridge yet but mining out for my uber bridge. Will use the first winter to relocate most of my infrastructure over it once the perma-bridge is built.

On a related note, anyone know how the quality/impressiveness of a bridge made from Dark Stone block is determined? Would the block quality count? Architecture/Masonry skill of the builder? Or is it just size related like rooms?

Darkchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 11:17:00 pm »

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Material  

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Base_cost

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Quality

Raw stone base value = 0
Stone blocks base value = 5

So lets say you build a bridge out of 5 raw dark stone. Raw stone (0) x material value of dark stone (2, assume non obsidian). There is no item quality for bridges/roads, at least it is not visible anyways.

So 0 x 2 x 5 = 0 value.

Now lets switch to 5 dark stone blocks instead of raw stone

5 x 2 x 5 = 50 value.

still not terribly impressive. However if you switch over to a nice ore the value can go way way up. Even silver with a meager value of 10 will make your bridge or road 5 times as valuable as dark stone.

[ July 18, 2007: Message edited by: Darkchampion ]

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 12:42:00 am »

It's not visible, but it's there. Dwarves get a happy thought from admiring a well-built bridge, and one time I had a dwarf who'd done enough to get some actual skill in Architecture, and a couple of times he 'designed a masterpiece' bridge.

-Albert

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 01:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Albert the Absentminded:
<STRONG>It's not visible, but it's there.</STRONG>

Not true, you can get info about a bridge's design quality and construction quality via selecting the bridge at the [r]oom screen.