Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Can a flying creature fly through a well?  (Read 5334 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can a flying creature fly through a well?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 12:20:25 am »

No such thing as too much booze in DF mode.  Build little 3x8 or 5x5 rooms everywhere and fill them with barrels of booze.  Make little 1x3 stockpiles in the guard towers, offices, dead-end corridors.

My target is at least 10 units of booze per dwarf, but 20-30 units/dwarf is far better and lets you deal with a large migrant wave.  A mature 200-dwarf fortress would have about 5000-6000 units of booze.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 12:31:53 am »

Wells are easy to secure: before you flood the reservoir, simply build a (magma-proof) raising bridge in the pipes somewhere. Open it only to fill the reservoir when the coast is clear, then keep closed until you run low on water again. Nothing will get in through your well.

Only takes a couple extra real life minutes.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Aloriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »

5000-6000 booze??

I don't think I've ever had a fort with that much. They only drink twice a season... why have a decade long supply?

I have workflow capping my booze at 400, though I am thinking about raising it again now that I have over 100 dwarves.

I still haven't resolved the flying creature issue. Though, I haven't seen it in several game years. I can only imagine that it is still hanging out in the caves somewhere I can't see. Fortunately, now my army is a wee bit stronger.

10 melee dwarves, 8 of which are elites. (some legendary)
12 marks dwarves, 1 of which is elite. (actually legendary)

All are armed with iron weapons and armor. Still working up my steel supply to upgrade them all.

One lovely thing about this fort... it is super rich. When I first struck the earth, I found platinum (sadly, only 9 bars worth - made into statues!). Now that I have a decent fortress, I have something like 800 silver bars and 500 gold bars... and 9 pieces of candy.

My current project is not worrying about those forgotten beasts and working on building my surface fortress up so that I don't have to pull my llama herd inside every siege. Presently, I am building the roof.

I will eventually go back and deal with that caddisfly, but it is no longer an immediate issue.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:34:47 pm by Aloriel »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 08:49:29 pm »

5000-6000 booze??

I don't think I've ever had a fort with that much. They only drink twice a season... why have a decade long supply?
There are 4 seasons in a year, and generally when you have 100 dwarves, you can burn through booze fast if you don't stockpile a ton. Better to have too much and need more barrels than not enough and have your dwarves withering away.

Aloriel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 12:34:27 am »

I figure 3-4 per dwarf is enough to notice my supply is dwindling (because my brewer died or something) and then train up a new brewer.

I do understand the idea of stashing the drinks everywhere. That way if you lose the upper halls, you still have a supply. Still though, 5000-6000 seems a touch excessive. Perhaps I will be proven wrong at some point... LOL

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 09:33:28 am »

It's like squirrels hiding nuts... a 2x3 stockpile here, a 3x5 stockpile there, multiplied a few dozen times as your fort slowly expands.  I'm not happy unless the brewing workshop (still) is cluttered.

And I also use dwarven wine as a trade export -- since we can't cook with it in 40.13.  So that involves a large stockpile (6x8, on 2-3 floors) by the trade depot.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 09:35:18 am »

It's like squirrels hiding nuts... a 2x3 stockpile here, a 3x5 stockpile there, multiplied a few dozen times as your fort slowly expands.  I'm not happy unless the brewing workshop (still) is cluttered.

And I also use dwarven wine as a trade export -- since we can't cook with it in 40.13.  So that involves a large stockpile (6x8, on 2-3 floors) by the trade depot.
You cook your booze before your fort matures?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2014, 02:49:43 pm »

6000 booze should be a complete non issue for the game, and I suspect or at least hope it will be sometime in the not so distant future. Namely a pile of 6000 booze should be in game memory as a pile of 6000 booze (or a few more for different types), not 6000 piles of 1-5 booze. You could store 40,000 with no more lag if stored in an optimized fashion.

Optimization, sigh. They usually tell you to do that later on, but it's a bit of an exception when people are playing your game in development for 20 years =P

Maybe he'll get to it soon though in his bugfixing and technical kick he seems to be on. Already fixed bone stacks recently!
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 10:35:06 am »

Completely off-topic, but what was the fix to bone stacks?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 04:34:28 pm »

Completely off-topic, but what was the fix to bone stacks?
Workshops now only use one bone from a stack instead of wasting the rest of them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Trupik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2014, 01:31:32 am »

Yes.  Things can also climb up them and swim, if applicable.
Yes... I learned it the hard way few days ago. I mean, I did know about the flying, but the latest FB was only aquatic so I thought I am safe. 150 coffins later I realized my mistake - the bugger climbed several Z-levels on the well rope and entered the utterly unprepared fortress.
Pages: 1 [2]